Gearbox Snag turning into (minor) disaster

Old May 11th 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Default Gearbox Snag turning into (minor) disaster

Got the car back today. 5th gear was shredded! Half the teeth were
just gone. Best guess is the bearing failed and that caused the
problem. The debris from the disintegrated gear (and synchro) fouled the
selector, which in turn led to the jammed gear shift.

Had a new clutch fitted whilst it was in bits, and the gearbox checked
over and "fettled". A new radiator was fitted (I new it was leaking so
asked for that to be done), and since it was there had new front upper
swinging arms fitted (had the lower ones done a month ago!) and a
service carried out.

All told, with all seals, bearings, consumables and the like, £1400...it
drives like new. Suspension is taught and firm, and the gearbox is
slicker than a slick thing that's been well lubricated.

Lot of money, but what a difference!

Old May 11th 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:
> Got the car back today. 5th gear was shredded! Half the teeth were
> just gone. Best guess is the bearing failed and that caused the
> problem. The debris from the disintegrated gear (and synchro) fouled
> the selector, which in turn led to the jammed gear shift.
>
> Had a new clutch fitted whilst it was in bits, and the gearbox checked
> over and "fettled". A new radiator was fitted (I new it was leaking
> so asked for that to be done), and since it was there had new front
> upper swinging arms fitted (had the lower ones done a month ago!) and
> a service carried out.
>
> All told, with all seals, bearings, consumables and the like,
> £1400...it drives like new. Suspension is taught and firm, and the
> gearbox is slicker than a slick thing that's been well lubricated.
>
> Lot of money, but what a difference!

Nice one; as you say, a lot of money but break it down to tuppence a mile
and it doesn't sound so bad

Old May 12th 07, 08:06 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Never thought of it like that! I can justify anything now...thanks matey!

cupra wrote:
> Graeme Cosgrove wrote:
>> Got the car back today. 5th gear was shredded! Half the teeth were
>> just gone. Best guess is the bearing failed and that caused the
>> problem. The debris from the disintegrated gear (and synchro) fouled
>> the selector, which in turn led to the jammed gear shift.
>>
>> Had a new clutch fitted whilst it was in bits, and the gearbox checked
>> over and "fettled". A new radiator was fitted (I new it was leaking
>> so asked for that to be done), and since it was there had new front
>> upper swinging arms fitted (had the lower ones done a month ago!) and
>> a service carried out.
>>
>> All told, with all seals, bearings, consumables and the like,
>> £1400...it drives like new. Suspension is taught and firm, and the
>> gearbox is slicker than a slick thing that's been well lubricated.
>>
>> Lot of money, but what a difference!

> Nice one; as you say, a lot of money but break it down to tuppence a mile
> and it doesn't sound so bad

156 Gearbox Snag - Help? Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 9 May 3rd 07 01:42 PM
Disaster! westfaliaguy VW air cooled 7 November 13th 05 02:33 PM
Chysler Hemi; A disaster? Tigger Ford Mustang 2 December 21st 04 10:31 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM