156 Gearbox Snag - Help?

Old May 1st 07, 06:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Default 156 Gearbox Snag - Help?

Just got home from a 45 minute run up from Manchester. Car has been
running hot for a couple of days, but there is a slight coolant leak
which I was going to get checked out when I too it in for an oil change
in a couple of days.

Turned off the motorway and lost first and third gears!!! Could select
second, fourth (and reverse) so made it back to the house (just).

Nightmare...could the temp and the gearbox problem be linked? Engine
running smoothly and engine oil levels okay; last serviced about 6000
miles ago...2.0 with about 74K miles on it...

Going to let it all cool down (me included)...but any ideas?

Old May 1st 07, 07:23 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:
> Just got home from a 45 minute run up from Manchester. Car has been
> running hot for a couple of days, but there is a slight coolant leak
> which I was going to get checked out when I too it in for an oil
> change in a couple of days.
>
> Turned off the motorway and lost first and third gears!!! Could
> select second, fourth (and reverse) so made it back to the house
> (just).
> Nightmare...could the temp and the gearbox problem be linked? Engine
> running smoothly and engine oil levels okay; last serviced about 6000
> miles ago...2.0 with about 74K miles on it...
>
> Going to let it all cool down (me included)...but any ideas?

Linkage problem?

Reminds me of a journey home in an S40 - ended up with 3rd gear only and a
nasty smell of deteriorating clutch! Still, it wasn't mine

Old May 1st 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Might be...just been out to check and I can't get anything now! Is it
a cable gear change or rods?

Old May 1st 07, 08:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:
> cupra wrote:
>> Graeme Cosgrove wrote:
>>> Just got home from a 45 minute run up from Manchester. Car has been
>>> running hot for a couple of days, but there is a slight coolant leak
>>> which I was going to get checked out when I too it in for an oil
>>> change in a couple of days.
>>>
>>> Turned off the motorway and lost first and third gears!!! Could
>>> select second, fourth (and reverse) so made it back to the house
>>> (just).
>>> Nightmare...could the temp and the gearbox problem be linked? Engine
>>> running smoothly and engine oil levels okay; last serviced
>>> about 6000 miles ago...2.0 with about 74K miles on it...
>>>
>>> Going to let it all cool down (me included)...but any ideas?

>> Linkage problem?
>>
>> Reminds me of a journey home in an S40 - ended up with 3rd gear only
>> and a nasty smell of deteriorating clutch! Still, it wasn't mine

> Might be...just been out to check and I can't get anything now! Is
> it a cable gear change or rods?

I'll leave that for someone with more 156 experience than I....

Old May 1st 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:
> Might be...just been out to check and I can't get anything now! Is it
> a cable gear change or rods?

Sounds like rods to me, and something has gone walkies....

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
Suzuki Bandit 600
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old May 1st 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Clearly not a "common" occurence then?

Oh Good: that'll be expensive!

Old May 1st 07, 10:02 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:
> Clearly not a "common" occurence then?

Not that I've ever heard.

> Oh Good: that'll be expensive!

Not necessarily. Something as simple as a detent pin could get in the
way.....

Old May 1st 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Well, breakdown cover should get me to my local independent, then
"hopefully" he can take a look at it and I can get an answer (and a fix)
soon...poor old 156...where's that Spider brochure?

Old May 2nd 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Graeme Cosgrove

Got it to the garage...a rare but not isolated occurrence according to
nth e mechanic...he used the word "...interesting..." which I took as a
euphemism for "...expensive..."!!!

They are cable operated.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Graeme Cosgrove wrote:
> Got it to the garage...a rare but not isolated occurrence according to
> nth e mechanic...he used the word "...interesting..." which I took as a
> euphemism for "...expensive..."!!!
>
> They are cable operated.

'Interesting'

Gearbox Boris Krpan VW water cooled 0 February 8th 05 01:29 PM
gearbox 525 IX The Malt Hound BMW 7 February 7th 05 08:02 PM
zf gearbox [email protected] 4x4 0 December 13th 04 01:53 PM
lookink for gearbox ratios for automatic gearbox bmw 528i 1998 RS BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:26 PM
gearbox oil Coskerie 4x4 14 January 22nd 04 11:53 AM