Another police department caught with a quota.

Old March 31st 07, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

Default Another police department caught with a quota.

In article >,
"jaybird" > wrote:

> "Alan Baker" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Exactly.

> >> Very familiar. Almost all criminal law is based on the premise of what a
> >> reasonable person would perceive to be occurring.

> > No. That's not it at all. If you think it is, give a concrete example.

> Reasonable suspicion is the first example off the top of my head. The
> "reasonable man" is a form of legal fiction, by definition, that represents
> what the average Joe would think. In order to show reasonable suspicion
> that a person can be detained, for example, you must show that a reasonable
> person would see what you see and think that an offense might be occurring.

You're starting to get it.

It also forms an important basis for determining culpability in civil
cases. When judging someone's actions the concept of what a "reasonable
person" would do is used to determine whether someone has acted without
due care for the safety of others, for instance.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone and how he missed
Old March 31st 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

"Alan Baker" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>> "Alan Baker" > wrote in message

>> > No. That's not it at all. If you think it is, give a concrete example.

>> Reasonable suspicion is the first example off the top of my head. The
>> "reasonable man" is a form of legal fiction, by definition, that
>> represents
>> what the average Joe would think. In order to show reasonable suspicion
>> that a person can be detained, for example, you must show that a
>> reasonable
>> person would see what you see and think that an offense might be
>> occurring.
>>

> You're starting to get it.

I have a good grasp of it.... had to apply it in real situations many times
over the years.

> It also forms an important basis for determining culpability in civil
> cases. When judging someone's actions the concept of what a "reasonable
> person" would do is used to determine whether someone has acted without
> due care for the safety of others, for instance.

Sounds reasonable. )

---
jaybird

Old April 1st 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Mar 20, 11:47 am, "jaybird" > wrote:
> "Mike T." > wrote in message
>
> reenews.net...
>
> >> They're not supposed to. They are illegal and unconstitutional.

> >> ---
> >> jaybird

> > And yet they do, In almost every police force in the U.S.A. Yours
> > excluded, I'm sure. Just as long as you realize that your squad is the
> > exception, and FAR removed from reality. -Dave

> In the event of a vast conspiracy such as that, my family and I choose not
> to place ourselves in a situation to fall victim to such things.
>
> ---
> jaybird

When the minorities were (probably with good reason) complaining about
being overticketed, I wrote to the police union suggesting that all
they had to do was to go to any stop sign and write tickets for every
white middle-age woman who went through that sign - they all do in San
Diego.
The union never got back to me.

Signed: That obnixious dummy who actually comes to a full stop just to
**** off any PO who happens to be watching.

(ne time, when they were behind me I did it three times, once at the
first sign, then six feetlater at the line then 8 feet later at yet
another stop sign that somehow got twisted around and was facing me.

Old April 1st 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

"Studemania" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 20, 11:47 am, "jaybird" > wrote:
>> "Mike T." > wrote in message
>>
>> reenews.net...

>> > And yet they do, In almost every police force in the U.S.A. Yours
>> > excluded, I'm sure. Just as long as you realize that your squad is the
>> > exception, and FAR removed from reality. -Dave

>> In the event of a vast conspiracy such as that, my family and I choose
>> not
>> to place ourselves in a situation to fall victim to such things.
>>
>> ---
>> jaybird

> When the minorities were (probably with good reason) complaining about
> being overticketed, I wrote to the police union suggesting that all
> they had to do was to go to any stop sign and write tickets for every
> white middle-age woman who went through that sign - they all do in San
> Diego.
> The union never got back to me.

It is against the law to stop a person solely on the basis of race. Go
away, troll.

---
jaybird

Old April 2nd 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> "jaybird" > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
>>It is against the law to stop a person solely on the basis of race. Go
>>away, troll.

> And, of course, no one would EVER do anything illegal, right?
> ESPECIALLY a cop.

How naive are you? People are not infalliable and they violate laws. Your
sarcasm is noted, but does nothing to add anything positive to the thread.

---
jaybird

Old April 4th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, jaybird wrote:

> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>> "jaybird" > said in rec.autos.driving:
>>
>>>It is against the law to stop a person solely on the basis of race. Go
>>>away, troll.

>> And, of course, no one would EVER do anything illegal, right?
>> ESPECIALLY a cop.

> How naive are you? People are not infalliable and they violate laws. Your
> sarcasm is noted, but does nothing to add anything positive to the thread.

Does just making an honest mistake because of a poorly designed
intersection get a regular guy off the hook? no. Do police officers
purposely and with no good reason do what they ticket others for and
worse? Yes.