Theft: How do you minimize break ins?

Old November 24th 04, 01:38 PM
Terry

"Me" > wrote in message news:<Huzod.3470$wa1.92@lakeread04>...
> The only problem with carrying anything is that you'll probably either get
> it taken from you if you aren't prepared to use it or you will end up in
> prison if you do use it. Either way, it won't help you keep your stuff.
>
> Me
>
> "Brett" > wrote in message
> u...
> > 12 ga probably better idea considering you don't know what they are likely
> > to be carrying
> >
> > "Terry" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > (Majiin Will) wrote in message

> . com>...

> > > I drive a 1991 Civc and have nothing worth stealing in the car.
> > > No radar detector, after all it is a 1991 Civic. No cell phone.
> > > No alarm system.
> > > I don't even have a radio in the beast.
> > >
> > > Everyone in my neighborhood knows I am a cheap tightwad, who else
> > > would be driving a 1991 Civic?
> > > Before that I drove a 1985 Celica into the ground. IF you don't have
> > > $1000 stereo in a $500 car your chances of getting hit are minimal.
> > > Of course the fact that I mounted flashing LEDs in the dash, and
> > > above each door lock (both side doors, and the hatchback) might help.
> > > An time the ignition if off, the LEDs flash.
> > > IF I was going to go with an alarm I would add a wireless link so that
> > > I would know when the alarm tripped. Then I would consider checking out
> > > what was happening with a 12ga or baseball bat.
> > > Terry

Think "Concealed Carrry Permit".
Kentucky law requires you to attempt to retreat from a violent encounter,
unless you are protecting your property. Most break-ins around here happen
late at night, with your car/truck parked at home. Keeping your car in a
locked garage greatly reduces the risk of theft. If you must leave a car
parked in the "open", the presence of light reduces the risk. I like PIR
controlled outside lights. When they turn on, would be thiefs tend to run.
More importantly, when I go ot after dark, when the light turns on, I won't
trip over the rake I foolisly left laying there.
Terry
Old November 24th 04, 01:38 PM
Terry

Old November 25th 04, 12:12 AM
Me

"Terry" > wrote in message
m...
> Think "Concealed Carrry Permit".
> Kentucky law requires you to attempt to retreat from a violent encounter,
> unless you are protecting your property. Most break-ins around here happen
> late at night, with your car/truck parked at home. Keeping your car in a
> locked garage greatly reduces the risk of theft. If you must leave a car
> parked in the "open", the presence of light reduces the risk. I like PIR
> controlled outside lights. When they turn on, would be thiefs tend to run.
> More importantly, when I go ot after dark, when the light turns on, I

won't
> trip over the rake I foolisly left laying there.
> Terry

Even having a CCW doesn't shield you from prosecution. All a CCW does is
give you permission to carry the weapon (and even then in only certain
locations). I manage one of the largest firearms stores in the south
Louisiana area, so I'm fairly familiar with the law. Yes, you may be able to
prove that you could not get away, but there is the whole civil issue of
wrongful death to consider. In a civil suit, all the other attorney has to
do is prove that you used more force than necessary to stop the bad guy and
you're liable. It'd be a real hassle to have to sell your home, car, and
everything else (unless you don't own any of the above - then you'd just
have your future wages garnished for decades until it was paid) to pay a
court settlement just because you were trying to stop someone from stealing
your system. Besides, for the cost of a decent gun, you could pay for a
year's worth of insurance on the system.
Besides, as I previously mentioned, the majority of people will take the
gun outside to frighten the thief away. When the person doesn't run and
starts beating the gun owner senseless, what good will it do? Another thing
to consider is this - is your system really worth taking a life for? Mine
isn't. Now, if someone breaks into my home in the middle of the night,
that's a different story.

Me

Old November 25th 04, 12:12 AM
Me

m...

Old November 25th 04, 09:20 PM
Dark1

"Me" > wrote in message

> "Terry" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Think "Concealed Carrry Permit".
>> Kentucky law requires you to attempt to retreat from a violent encounter,
>> unless you are protecting your property. Most break-ins around here
>> happen
>> late at night, with your car/truck parked at home. Keeping your car in a
>> locked garage greatly reduces the risk of theft. If you must leave a car
>> parked in the "open", the presence of light reduces the risk. I like PIR
>> controlled outside lights. When they turn on, would be thiefs tend to
>> run.
>> More importantly, when I go ot after dark, when the light turns on, I

> won't
>> trip over the rake I foolisly left laying there.
>> Terry

> Even having a CCW doesn't shield you from prosecution. All a CCW does
> is
> give you permission to carry the weapon (and even then in only certain
> locations). I manage one of the largest firearms stores in the south
> Louisiana area, so I'm fairly familiar with the law. Yes, you may be able
> prove that you could not get away, but there is the whole civil issue of
> wrongful death to consider. In a civil suit, all the other attorney has to
> do is prove that you used more force than necessary to stop the bad guy
> and
> you're liable. It'd be a real hassle to have to sell your home, car, and
> everything else (unless you don't own any of the above - then you'd just
> have your future wages garnished for decades until it was paid) to pay a
> court settlement just because you were trying to stop someone from
> stealing
> your system. Besides, for the cost of a decent gun, you could pay for a
> year's worth of insurance on the system.
> Besides, as I previously mentioned, the majority of people will take
> the
> gun outside to frighten the thief away. When the person doesn't run and
> starts beating the gun owner senseless, what good will it do? Another
> thing
> to consider is this - is your system really worth taking a life for? Mine
> isn't. Now, if someone breaks into my home in the middle of the night,
> that's a different story.
>
> Me

This why the non lethal rubber bullets, bean-bags, and stun grenades should
be readily availible.. for home defense..
it's more fun to stun then beat them simple anyway

Old November 25th 04, 09:20 PM
Dark1

Old November 25th 04, 11:45 PM
Terry

"Me" > wrote in message news:<zr9pd.6462$T02.3124@lakeread06>...

> Even having a CCW doesn't shield you from prosecution. All a CCW does is
> give you permission to carry the weapon (and even then in only certain
> locations). I manage one of the largest firearms stores in the south
> Louisiana area, so I'm fairly familiar with the law. Yes, you may be able to
> prove that you could not get away, but there is the whole civil issue of
> wrongful death to consider. In a civil suit, all the other attorney has to
> do is prove that you used more force than necessary to stop the bad guy and
> you're liable. It'd be a real hassle to have to sell your home, car, and
> everything else (unless you don't own any of the above - then you'd just
> have your future wages garnished for decades until it was paid) to pay a
> court settlement just because you were trying to stop someone from stealing
> your system. Besides, for the cost of a decent gun, you could pay for a
> year's worth of insurance on the system.
> Besides, as I previously mentioned, the majority of people will take the
> gun outside to frighten the thief away. When the person doesn't run and
> starts beating the gun owner senseless, what good will it do? Another thing
> to consider is this - is your system really worth taking a life for? Mine
> isn't. Now, if someone breaks into my home in the middle of the night,
> that's a different story.
>
> Me

You could be correct.
But I know of a number of people who have used firearms to stop people
who were breaking into parked vehicals. All challanged the thugs. And
in most cases the thugs laid down as directed.
In 1 case the thug ran, the owner did NOT fire. but gave chase and
tackled the thug, breaking his (thugs) legs. No arrest. No civil tort.
Thug went to jail as he was out on parole. BTW the judge sentenced
the thug to the maximum and added it to the END of the original
prison term, which was for stealing a car.
In the 3 other cases that I know of, the thugs refussed to disarm,
lay down or stop. All were shot. 2 died. 1 suffered permanant injury,
pentrating 9mm damaged his spine(shoot from front). No charges, no
civil tort.
Kentucky maybe viewed as backwards but jurries here are loath to convict
people for defedning what is theirs.

Would I kill someone to stop them from stealing either of my cars?
Hell no it is not worth the paper work.
In the case of 1985 Celica I would invite them down to the court
house to transfer the car to them.

Terry
Old November 25th 04, 11:45 PM
Terry

Old December 6th 04, 04:18 PM
Al Andre

Better off to kill the punks, no one will miss them anyway. Try a handgun
with silencer instead.

Old December 14th 04, 05:47 AM
Me

Yeah, that's it. A guaranteed 10 yr prison sentence. Works every time.

Me

nk.net...

Break Light Circuit message Dara BMW 5 November 29th 04 06:03 PM
98 Caravan instrument panel parking break light Yeasereno Dodge 4 August 2nd 04 03:36 AM