Experience at Honda dealer

Old November 28th 05, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Experience at Honda dealer

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2005 20:17:39 -0800, "Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!"
> > wrote:
>
> >Carmax is a joke. Their offer was only 50% of the kbb trade-in on my
> >parent's car. They ended up getting three times that amount in an
> >insurance settlement, after it was totalled in an accident.

> My only experience with them was helping a friend car shop. They were
> low pressure and friendly, but their prices (both buying and selling)
> were not competitive. If their no-haggle price was just an asking
> price they might be in the ball park. i guess they have a lot of
> overhead to pay for.

I was waiting in an office while they were appraising my vehicle, and
the Carmax salesguy kept badgering me about purchasing a car from them.
I remarked how expensive their cars were and he just simply said their
prices were competitive. Yeah, with new cars maybe. I swear, you can
get brand new cars for the prices they charge on most of their used
cars.

> Still I can see why they might appeal to someone who is used to
> getting raped in the car buying process.

Which is why Saturn's still around. Morons keep paying full price for
inferior GM products, because they have phobias about negotiating.

Old November 29th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> [...]

sale.

> > > Not always true. For example if he really needs the sale he may be
> > > prepared to reduce the sales price a little IF he gets the finance as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > As to the trade-in, you may get a few more dollars with a private

sale,
> > > but sell to the dealer and no haggling etc

> > I think what Elmo is referring to is the principle of first negotiating

the
> > new car price (without telling the salesperson you have a trade-in),

THEN
> > negotiate the price of the trade-in.

> That's perfectly legitimate. Get the numbers in stone one at a time,
> independent of one another.

If the numbers are good, it can be a good deal. A good dealer can take the
trade-in price off of the price of the new vehicle, thereby reducing sales
taxes, maybe to a point where you couldn't get a better deal selling to a
third party.

Btw, next time a car dealer tells you that you are taking away his kid's
next meal, ask to see where he lives. Chances are he has a nicer house than
you do...

Old November 29th 05, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Gordon McGrew wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2005 20:17:39 -0800, "Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!"
> > wrote:
>
>> Carmax is a joke. Their offer was only 50% of the kbb trade-in on my
>> parent's car. They ended up getting three times that amount in an
>> insurance settlement, after it was totalled in an accident.

> My only experience with them was helping a friend car shop. They were
> low pressure and friendly, but their prices (both buying and selling)
> were not competitive. If their no-haggle price was just an asking
> price they might be in the ball park. i guess they have a lot of
> overhead to pay for.

a coworker got a C230 sedan with 8k miles for a shade under $30k. a
brand spanking new one would have been a little more. or even less, if
hed bought when MBUSA was giving incentives.

> Still I can see why they might appeal to someone who is used to
> getting raped in the car buying process.

yeah- you only get raped a "little".
Old November 29th 05, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:
> Gordon McGrew wrote:
>> On 27 Nov 2005 20:17:39 -0800, "Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Carmax is a joke. Their offer was only 50% of the kbb trade-in on my
>>> parent's car. They ended up getting three times that amount in an
>>> insurance settlement, after it was totalled in an accident.

>> My only experience with them was helping a friend car shop. They were
>> low pressure and friendly, but their prices (both buying and selling)
>> were not competitive. If their no-haggle price was just an asking
>> price they might be in the ball park. i guess they have a lot of
>> overhead to pay for.

> I was waiting in an office while they were appraising my vehicle, and
> the Carmax salesguy kept badgering me about purchasing a car from them.
> I remarked how expensive their cars were and he just simply said their
> prices were competitive. Yeah, with new cars maybe. I swear, you can
> get brand new cars for the prices they charge on most of their used
> cars.
>
>> Still I can see why they might appeal to someone who is used to
>> getting raped in the car buying process.

> Which is why Saturn's still around. Morons keep paying full price for
> inferior GM products, because they have phobias about negotiating.

saturn knows their target market and prices (IMO) fairly and
accordingly. for the longest time my local dealer was giving 0% interest
for 60mos, so thats another draw.

toyotas scion division also doesnt haggle, and those cars are
exceptional values. an honest to god built in japan car with standard
air, power windows/locks and pioneer premium CD system for about $13k.
Old December 3rd 05, 08:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Bozo wrote:

>> You have three transactions: new car sale, old car sale, and money
>> sale. Letting one guy quarterback all three of them is crazy.
>>

> Not always true. For example if he really needs the sale he may be
> prepared to reduce the sales price a little IF he gets the finance as well.

Plus Honda Finance may be willing to give you a good, i.e., low, rate to
help move cars - rather than posting absolutes, e.g., NEVER xxx, ALWAYS
zzz, I think it's generally a good idea to shop around and see what's
best when you're cutting your deal. I financed my '03 Accord at 3.64%
from Honda Finance, which was substantially lower than even the bank I
worked for (where I got a "deal").
Old December 3rd 05, 08:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

mrdancer wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

> sale.

> sale,

>>>I think what Elmo is referring to is the principle of first negotiating

> the
>
>>>new car price (without telling the salesperson you have a trade-in),

> THEN
>
>>>negotiate the price of the trade-in.

>>That's perfectly legitimate. Get the numbers in stone one at a time,
>>independent of one another.

> If the numbers are good, it can be a good deal. A good dealer can take the
> trade-in price off of the price of the new vehicle, thereby reducing sales
> taxes, maybe to a point where you couldn't get a better deal selling to a
> third party.
>
> Btw, next time a car dealer tells you that you are taking away his kid's
> next meal

Better yet, tell him to switch careers and point out that by extorting
more $$$ from you he's taking food from your kids & you care more about
them than you do his.
Old December 3rd 05, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article >,
> Bozo > wrote:
>

>>>You have three transactions: new car sale, old car sale, and money
>>>sale. Letting one guy quarterback all three of them is crazy.
>>>

>>Not always true. For example if he really needs the sale he may be
>>prepared to reduce the sales price a little IF he gets the finance as well.

> The point is, the car salesman is in charge of too many things. His job
> is to find the buyer's hot button (low finance rate, good trade value,
> whatever) and play to that while jacking the other items around--all
> toward the end of making the sucker pay the same amount in the end.
>
> The car salesman does this several times a day. The buyer does it once
> every few years. Who do you think wins?
>
> The only way to prevent this from happening is to separate the deals, so
> that no one person has any more affect than any other on the entire
> deal--no matter what the buyer's hot button.

Sorry, the "only way to" is seldom that. If the purchaser does his
homework (easy to do these days with the Internet) and behaves
rationally there's no reason the sales person should prevail. If he's
being a real PITA, just thank him/her for their time and walk out of the
dealership. I know this from experience as well as theory.
Old December 4th 05, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default You should have walked at 9:00

Then they would have called you back the next day groveling with a
better deal.

You sure put up with a bunch of crap!

-pete

Old December 13th 05, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

<snip>

> But then he wants to jack things around with the financing, so that you
> end up paying huge amounts for the car. Why do you think he won't shut
> up about "what monthly payment are you looking for?" If you recognize
> that question as legitimate, that's what he'll go for--because he can
> hide EVERYTHING in a monthly payment.

When I was negotiating my '03 Accord the salesman asked me about the
monthly payment. I answered that I thought it was a function of the
amount financed and the interest rate - I think he wet his pants.

Money was much cheaper then, 06/03, and the dealer gave me a rate of
3.64% thru Honda Finance, noticeably cheaper than anywhere I checked
(including the bank where I used to work). At that rate Honda's paying
to finance my car - I could have bought the car outright but I'm making
far more than 3.64% by keeping the principal in my investment account.

What to do If a dealer does a bad alignment. chris777 via CarKB.com Technology 5 April 20th 05 04:16 PM
Jeep, Chrysler quality and cust. service - YUCK Birdbrain13 Chrysler 18 February 19th 05 02:31 PM
300C order problems [email protected] Chrysler 7 January 21st 05 04:55 PM
Lousy Experience at Dealer J Koli Audi 7 October 26th 04 07:15 PM
Is Honda brake fluid really superior to its "clone"? Daniel Honda 6 October 26th 04 05:11 PM