NR2003 "New Guy" What do I need?

Old August 4th 05, 01:55 PM
Eldred Pickett

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:05:31 -0700, "Jeff Reid" >
wrote:

>GTP, a good mod, but a pain to install. If you want GTP, you need
>to install two copies of NR2003.

Why two copies?

Eldred
Old August 4th 05, 05:47 PM
Darryl Johnson

Eldred Pickett wrote in news:8244f1hqqip51106b1nohcg6216q3vnr2l@
4ax.com:

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:05:31 -0700, "Jeff Reid"

> wrote:
>
>>GTP, a good mod, but a pain to install. If you want GTP, you need
>>to install two copies of NR2003.

> Why two copies?
>
> Eldred

Hey Eldred, you're still alive!! <weak joke!>

The RedLine developers want GTP installed in its own copy of the N2K3
directory. If nothing else, it does overwrite the sound files, so you
get the British accent for your pit crew chief for NASCAR races if
you try to use GTP in the same directory as your "working" copy of
N2K3 Cup, CTS, GNS, etc.

There was also something about GTP conflicting with the other mods,
like OWR and Aero '88. I don't use them, so I can't speak to that.

I just installed GTP into my (one and only) copy of N2K3 and -- other
than the accents for the spooters and crew chief -- everything is
fine. So it _isn't_ mandatory to have two copies of the N2K3
directories. But, as they say: your mileage may vary....

--
Darryl
Old August 9th 05, 03:00 AM
No One

Joe wrote:

> Thanks for the info. Sounds like there is no real "stardard load" for NR2003
> and it is just a matter of getting whatever is needed to get into whatever
> the folks in next race are using.
>
> I have not been online yet but I was kind of saddened to hear that the
> "wreckers" are still at it. I would have hoped that those who bought the
> game when it was new got bored and moved on and any new crop would be
> detered by the entry fee. Oh well.

You mean you are actually able to join a race on-line?
Old August 9th 05, 12:34 PM
Jeff Reid

> I have not been online yet but I was kind of saddened to hear that the "wreckers" are still at it.

There are very few true wreckers online. Most of the wrecks are from
aggressive driving. A lot of players try to force their way up front
very early on in a race, looking for any gap they can squeeze into.
The result is other drivers get too close to the cars ahead, to
eliminate the gaps, but this too, also results in bumps and nudges
that often create wrecks.

If you care about rank, you should know that if all players in a race
have the same rank as you, you only need to finish in the upper half
to gain points. Most players online are level 5 or higher. This means
that a new player will gain points just completing a race if the
player can avoid the typical early wreck fest or two. It's a bit
easier if you avoid races with a lot of players in them. You can
reach a rank of 6 in super speedway fairly quickly if you just
complete races. It also helps if you pick severs with a minimum
rank requirement that is the same as your current rank. Again
you only have to finish in the upper half to gain points. This
works until you get to level 7, and race on the FLM server.
Since there aren't any 8 or higher minimum requirement servers
(that I know of), you have to start finishing in the top
1/3rd or top 1/4th to continue gaining points.

Another tip if you're concerned about your rank or laps per incident
is to create a 2nd or 3rd persona to practice new tracks with online.