Which Octane Should I Use?

Old July 29th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

Default Which Octane Should I Use?

I have a stock 1973 Beetle with 1600cc Type I engine.

Which octane, U.S., should I use?
TIA!
Old July 29th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Jim Ed wrote:
> I have a stock 1973 Beetle with 1600cc Type I engine.
>
> Which octane, U.S., should I use?
> TIA!

the lowest pump gas available will be fine if everything is in good
condition. if you have carbon buildup in the combustion chambers,
valves, or piston tops, you may get some run on/dieseling after turn
off, or pinging even. Higher octane fuel helps alleviate the symptoms
and let the engine live longer, but the root cause is still there and
should be taken care of. Fuel treatment chemical additives may help a
little, but they take a long time to work if they do anything at all.

Now that you've rear all that I can give you the short answer: use the
lowest octane you can, that will not cause pinging or dieseling.
Old July 29th 10, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 02:20:37 +0200, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

> Jim Ed wrote:
>> I have a stock 1973 Beetle with 1600cc Type I engine.
>> Which octane, U.S., should I use?
>> TIA!

> the lowest pump gas available will be fine if everything is in good
> condition. if you have carbon buildup in the combustion chambers,
> valves, or piston tops, you may get some run on/dieseling after turn
> off, or pinging even. Higher octane fuel helps alleviate the symptoms
> and let the engine live longer, but the root cause is still there and
> should be taken care of. Fuel treatment chemical additives may help a
> little, but they take a long time to work if they do anything at all.
>
> Now that you've rear all that I can give you the short answer: use the
> lowest octane you can, that will not cause pinging or dieseling.

Anything above 87-RON, the 73 will run both leaded and unleaded.
Even the pre -67 cars can run unleaded these days as the lead has been
replaced with calcium(Sp?).

If you got carbon buildup you can lose this by trickling a bottle of
carbonated water down the carb at high revs, just enough to not stall the
engine.
You can also use window washer fluid which contains a small amount of
ethanol.

J.
Old July 30th 10, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> I have a stock 1973 Beetle with 1600cc Type I engine.
>
> Which octane, U.S., should I use?

I run 87 in mine and it seems to go okay. Make sure you have your
ignition timing/dwell/valves/carburetor set correctly so you don't
have any pre-ignition/detonation.

Gotta love these old cars...I know I sure love mine. I don't see many
of them on the road anymore.

Best,

Chris
Old July 31st 10, 09:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

I,ve heard about the decoke using carbonated water. Just had a laugh
thinking if I used Coke my caffeine addicted young bloke would beat me about
the ears and if I used beer my mates would have me committed.Ahhh, low
alcohol beer, thats the answer
John

Old July 31st 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

> Anything above 87-RON, the 73 will run both leaded and unleaded.
> Even the pre -67 cars can run unleaded these days as the lead has been *
> replaced with calcium(Sp?).

Is this just in Norway, or does U.S.A. gas have calcium(Sp?) as a
lead substitute also?

> If you got carbon buildup you can lose this by trickling a bottle of *
> carbonated water down the carb at high revs, just enough to not stall the *
> engine.
> You can also use window washer fluid which contains a small amount of *
> ethanol.

A long time ago I tried sing distilled water for this same purpose.
It got into the oil and the guy at the local auto parts store would
not let me turn in the water contaminated oil.
Before you try this, find a place that accepts water contaminated
oil, unless you might have some use for it.
Old July 31st 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

> Anything above 87-RON, the 73 will run both leaded and unleaded.

Does 87-RON = 83 octane U.S.A. pump gas?

> Even the pre -67 cars can run unleaded these days as the lead has been *
> replaced with calcium(Sp?).

Is this lead substitute, calcium(Sp?), used in U.S.A. gas or is it
used only in Norway?

> If you got carbon buildup you can lose this by trickling a bottle of *
> carbonated water down the carb at high revs, just enough to not stall the *
> engine.

A long time ago I did this with distilled water. It got into the oil.
The guy at the local auto parts store would not accept the water
contaminated oil.

Old July 31st 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:52:45 +0200, Jim Ed > wrote:

>> Anything above 87-RON, the 73 will run both leaded and unleaded.

> Does 87-RON = 83 octane U.S.A. pump gas?

I am not sure about the conversion, try bobistheoilguy.com or Google..

>> Even the pre -67 cars can run unleaded these days as the lead has been
>> replaced with calcium(Sp?).
>>

> Is this lead substitute, calcium(Sp?), used in U.S.A. gas or is it
> used only in Norway?

If my memory serves me right I found that info relating to Harley Davidson
motorcycles, so I think it is the same in the US.

>> If you got carbon buildup you can lose this by trickling a bottle of
>> carbonated water down the carb at high revs, just enough to not stall
>> the engine.

> A long time ago I did this with distilled water. It got into the oil.
> The guy at the local auto parts store would not accept the water
> contaminated oil.

Hmm. I would think you had the revs to low, a stock T1 engine won't
over-rew so I would go for WOT. Basically the water turns to steam.
I have seen turbo engines with water injection opened, and they are
squeaky clean.
Some use window washer fluid as the ethanol content contributes to even
better cooling, the piston tops and combustion chamber takes the color of
the liquid, a bluish tint.

J.

Old July 31st 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Stafford[_3_]

In article
Jim Ed > wrote:

> > Anything above 87-RON, the 73 will run both leaded and unleaded.

> Does 87-RON = 83 octane U.S.A. pump gas?
>
> > Even the pre -67 cars can run unleaded these days as the lead has been *
> > replaced with calcium(Sp?).
> >

> Is this lead substitute, calcium(Sp?), used in U.S.A. gas or is it
> used only in Norway?

In part of the USA where there is a winter, it is difficult to know what
kind of gas we are getting because it changes seasonally. Gas would be
less expensive to distribute and manufacture if they would stick to one
formula.
Old July 31st 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
TonyW

On 7/31/2010 8:18 AM, John Stafford wrote:
> In part of the USA where there is a winter, it is difficult to know what
> kind of gas we are getting because it changes seasonally. Gas would be
> less expensive to distribute and manufacture if they would stick to one
> formula.

Sorry that makes too much sense...

Tony

85 vs 87 Octane Mindy[_2_] Jeep 19 September 5th 07 08:57 AM
Octane question (FOr the octane Savvy) Trey BMW 7 June 6th 05 03:17 PM
Long term octane test (>100k miles using the wrong octane rating) dyno Technology 1 May 20th 05 04:03 AM
Long term octane test (>100k miles using the wrong octane rating) dyno Technology 7 May 16th 05 07:21 AM
Long term octane test (>100k miles using the wrong octane rating) [email protected] BMW 0 May 14th 05 08:56 PM