Alfa 156 Bonnet Failure

Old February 19th 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default Alfa 156 Bonnet Failure

I was driving back from work on Friday night, probably doing about
50mph at the time, when the bonnet catch on my Alfa 156 (1999) released
and smashed my windscreen, destroyed the bonnet and some damage to the
roof. I am not sure if its classified as a write-off though, probably
as a result of my speed at the time.

This happened about 5 miles before I got to the motorway. Had it
happened on the motorway, I doubt I would be writing this thread.

I have read up on some earlier threads (e.g. this one in 2003 - 147/
156 Bonnet Catch Failure).

I would like to take the matter up with Alfa, as there is clearly a
design fault. In addition, I have had to make an insurance claim for an
"accident" and this will no doubt significantly increase my annual
premiums for years to come.

I am incensed at this incident and would like to know if anyone has had
a similar problem.

I am in the fortunate position in that I can get this problem the
publicity it deserves and would like to know which authority in the UK
I should address my issue to.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Regards
James

Old February 20th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Alpha156-1999 wrote:
> I was driving back from work on Friday night, probably doing about
> 50mph at the time, when the bonnet catch on my Alfa 156 (1999) released
> and smashed my windscreen, destroyed the bonnet and some damage to the
> roof. I am not sure if its classified as a write-off though, probably
> as a result of my speed at the time.
>
> This happened about 5 miles before I got to the motorway. Had it
> happened on the motorway, I doubt I would be writing this thread.
>
> I have read up on some earlier threads (e.g. this one in 2003 - 147/
> 156 Bonnet Catch Failure).

Alfa recalled all post 2001 147 & 156 models for checking of the bonnet
release mechanism, so I am not sure where you stand with a 1999 model.

Good luck
Tony
Old February 20th 06, 02:06 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Alpha156-1999" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was driving back from work on Friday night, probably doing about
> 50mph at the time, when the bonnet catch on my Alfa 156 (1999) released
> and smashed my windscreen, destroyed the bonnet and some damage to the
> roof.

Must have been bloody scary!

> I have read up on some earlier threads (e.g. this one in 2003 - 147/
> 156 Bonnet Catch Failure).
>
> I would like to take the matter up with Alfa, as there is clearly a
> design fault. In addition, I have had to make an insurance claim for an
> "accident" and this will no doubt significantly increase my annual
> premiums for years to come.

I remember being notified to take my 147 back to the dealer to have the
bonnet catch checked. If memory serves, it was more to do with revising the
instructions for closing the bonnet...the implication seemed to be that some
people
weren't closing it properly and it could come open. Having said that, they
also cleaned off the original lubricant on the catch and replaced it with a
different sort...don't know if that is significant!

Regards
Ross

Old February 22nd 06, 11:50 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Alpha156-1999 wrote:
> I was driving back from work on Friday night, probably doing about
> 50mph at the time, when the bonnet catch on my Alfa 156 (1999) released
> and smashed my windscreen, destroyed the bonnet and some damage to the
> roof. I am not sure if its classified as a write-off though, probably
> as a result of my speed at the time.
>
> This happened about 5 miles before I got to the motorway. Had it
> happened on the motorway, I doubt I would be writing this thread.
>
> I have read up on some earlier threads (e.g. this one in 2003 - 147/
> 156 Bonnet Catch Failure).
>
> I would like to take the matter up with Alfa, as there is clearly a
> design fault. In addition, I have had to make an insurance claim for an
> "accident" and this will no doubt significantly increase my annual
> premiums for years to come.
>
> I am incensed at this incident and would like to know if anyone has had
> a similar problem.
>
> I am in the fortunate position in that I can get this problem the
> publicity it deserves and would like to know which authority in the UK
> I should address my issue to.
>
> Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> James

Hi James,
I think the problem was the catch drying out due to the salt on our
roads. And when people were closing the bonnet the dry catch was not
seating properly in the secured position. From what I can find out is
the dealers were just lubricating the catch.
But as with any warranty jobs the dealers are not obliged to inform us
of the cause.
My car came in through Ireland but Alfa GB did not for some reason
think I needed to know about the recall [ in the huff I surpose, £2600
saving might have something to do with that]. As it happens I
lubricate my own catch and it has been no bother.
John,UK.

Old February 23rd 06, 12:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Alpha156-1999" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I was driving back from work on Friday night, probably doing about
> 50mph at the time, when the bonnet catch on my Alfa 156 (1999) released
> and smashed my windscreen, destroyed the bonnet and some damage to the
> roof. I am not sure if its classified as a write-off though, probably
> as a result of my speed at the time.
>
> This happened about 5 miles before I got to the motorway. Had it
> happened on the motorway, I doubt I would be writing this thread.
>
> I have read up on some earlier threads (e.g. this one in 2003 - 147/
> 156 Bonnet Catch Failure).
>
> I would like to take the matter up with Alfa, as there is clearly a
> design fault. In addition, I have had to make an insurance claim for an
> "accident" and this will no doubt significantly increase my annual
> premiums for years to come.
>
> I am incensed at this incident and would like to know if anyone has had
> a similar problem.
>
> I am in the fortunate position in that I can get this problem the
> publicity it deserves and would like to know which authority in the UK
> I should address my issue to.
>
> Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> James

First off all we all know alfa's have been recalled for bonnet problems. If
your model is prior to the recall range you need to let AlfaUK know. I would
call AlfaUK up and inform them that although your model is outside the
recall range it has had the same problem as one's that are in the recall
range. You also need to ask them about how to take the case forward in a
legal sense. i.e. suing alfa for a faulty car.

You might be pleasently surprised that you get offered a FREE fix etc. maybe
compensation. And be asked to keep quiet about it while in the meantime they
start recalling older models. If you get no such luck then threaten to take
it to watchdog, autotrader or similar UK Standards bodies

Lay it on thick and see what comes back out. Say that you also had a very
young child in the car and he/she was covered in glass and debris but
luckily they have been checked out at hospital and they are okay - had it
happend on a motorway you would not be here like you said...

You cannot lose anything by trying... and who knows.

Alternativly seek a motor lawyers advice about sueing Alfa and suck them dry
for every penny they have. Make sure you take photo's of the car and bonnet
latch etc... Who can put a price on life? the courts can...

I remember my own incident many years ago with a new Seat Ibiza I bought. I
had electic problems and my lights failed about amile before the junction to
the A1 (the bit with no street lights) had they failed on the A1 like
yourself I would probably not be here to write this. However I laid it on
thick to SeatUK and got a new car and hush hush letter with comensation. 6
months later a receive a letter in the post from SeatUK for a recall on
Ibiza Electrics. Apparently a wireing fault.

Try it out...
Dom

Domestos

Old February 25th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Thanks for all your responses.

I shall write to Alpha UK and see what sort of a response I receive.

Regards
James

Old February 25th 06, 09:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Alpha156-1999" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks for all your responses.
>
> I shall write to Alpha UK and see what sort of a response I receive.

^^^^^
Turning to Christianity may make you feel better, but is unlikely to assist
with the repair costs ;-)

--
Ivan.

Alfa GT
Ex 156 2.5 V6 Veloce
Ex 156 Selespeed (RIP 22 May 03)
Ex 145 QV
Ex 33 16v QV
Ex 33 QV series 1

Old February 25th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On 25 Feb 2006 12:35:21 -0800, "Alpha156-1999"
>, wrote:

>Thanks for all your responses.
>
>I shall write to Alpha UK and see what sort of a response I receive.
>
>Regards
>James

You may get a better one from Alfa Romeo UK :-)
Good luck

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso