147 dashboard restart/reset

Old February 21st 06, 02:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default 147 dashboard restart/reset

Hi

I've had a 147 Selespeed for three years now and for the past two
summers, I've had a recurring problem. Typically on really hot days,
the dashboard cuts out. All the dash lights go out, the multifunction
display clears and all the needles freeze. 5 to 60 seconds later, the
lights come back on, the self test starts and the needles judder to
zero, before bouncing back to where they should be. The odometer, whose
value I can just make out, freezes during the blackout, but updates
itself correctly after the dash restarts. This doesn't normally happen
when it cold outside, but it just happend last weekend on a cold day,
while I had the heating up full. This has never happend while
stationary, so I've not been able to switch off and one the ignition.

While its out every other car function operates as expected.

Dealer has no idea, and the failure is not common enough/long enough to
demonstrate to them, but I thought I'd heard something similar before.
Any ideas what could be wrong? Bad connection or thermal cut-out maybe?

Thanks

Old February 22nd 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Nick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi
>
> I've had a 147 Selespeed for three years now and for the past two
> summers, I've had a recurring problem. Typically on really hot days,
> the dashboard cuts out. All the dash lights go out, the multifunction
> display clears and all the needles freeze. 5 to 60 seconds later, the
> lights come back on, the self test starts and the needles judder to
> zero, before bouncing back to where they should be. The odometer, whose
> value I can just make out, freezes during the blackout, but updates
> itself correctly after the dash restarts. This doesn't normally happen
> when it cold outside, but it just happend last weekend on a cold day,
> while I had the heating up full. This has never happend while
> stationary, so I've not been able to switch off and one the ignition.
>
> While its out every other car function operates as expected.
>
> Dealer has no idea, and the failure is not common enough/long enough to
> demonstrate to them, but I thought I'd heard something similar before.
> Any ideas what could be wrong? Bad connection or thermal cut-out maybe?
>
> Thanks

Sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere, hence the heat causes separation.
My sisters Audi had a similar thing, and on that, everything runs through
the clocks...

Old February 22nd 06, 11:44 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Mr Flipflops" > ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...
> "Nick" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I've had a 147 Selespeed for three years now and for the past two
> > summers, I've had a recurring problem. Typically on really hot days,
> > the dashboard cuts out. All the dash lights go out, the multifunction
> > display clears and all the needles freeze. 5 to 60 seconds later, the
> > lights come back on, the self test starts and the needles judder to
> > zero, before bouncing back to where they should be. The odometer, whose
> > value I can just make out, freezes during the blackout, but updates
> > itself correctly after the dash restarts. This doesn't normally happen
> > when it cold outside, but it just happend last weekend on a cold day,
> > while I had the heating up full. This has never happend while
> > stationary, so I've not been able to switch off and one the ignition.
> >
> > While its out every other car function operates as expected.
> >
> > Dealer has no idea, and the failure is not common enough/long enough to
> > demonstrate to them, but I thought I'd heard something similar before.
> > Any ideas what could be wrong? Bad connection or thermal cut-out maybe?
> >
> > Thanks

> Sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere, hence the heat causes

separation.
> My sisters Audi had a similar thing, and on that, everything runs through
> the clocks...

Hi,

Did u check the battery? I tried one time which caused by the battery
problem.

Cheers,
147@HongKong

Old February 22nd 06, 07:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

My 156 dashboard cut out several times exactly as you describe, Nick,
and I found it quite scary. With my car, however, it was usually
raining, and the fault was thought to be some kind of short circuit
involving the radio aerial in the rear window (I think members of this
group helped identify the possible cause) Hasn't happened for ages,
thank goodness...though no action was taken.

Ordered a new 147 M-jet on Sept 20th last year. I wIll finally take
delivery next week! Can you believe how patient I have been? ;-)

Gill

Old February 22nd 06, 08:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Gill wrote:
> My 156 dashboard cut out several times exactly as you describe, Nick,
> and I found it quite scary. With my car, however, it was usually
> raining, and the fault was thought to be some kind of short circuit
> involving the radio aerial in the rear window (I think members of this
> group helped identify the possible cause) Hasn't happened for ages,
> thank goodness...though no action was taken.
>
> Ordered a new 147 M-jet on Sept 20th last year. I wIll finally take
> delivery next week! Can you believe how patient I have been? ;-)
>
> Gill

Let me know how you get on - considering another 147....

"Break" dashboard light is ON in freezing wheather DG General 5 November 19th 05 01:22 AM
"Break" dashboard light is ON in freezing wheather DG Technology 5 November 19th 05 01:22 AM
I think dashboard indicator light has burned out? [email protected] Technology 1 February 1st 05 01:34 PM
help with my dashboard lights FVG BMW 0 October 1st 04 02:33 AM
156 dashboard Ppelectron Alfa Romeo 4 May 23rd 04 12:16 AM