Carbs, Made In China?

Old February 26th 10, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

Default Carbs, Made In China?

Which of these work and which leak at the throttle shaft?
TIA
Old February 27th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Feb 26, 7:20*am, Jim Ed > wrote:
> *Which of these work and which leak at the throttle shaft?
> TIA

I bought one from CIP1 that was garbage. I fought with them for a
replacement, it also was garbage. If memory serves me correctly the
bad ones were in boxes that said "Pierburg". They are total crap,
avoid at all costs.

After that experience I was so disgusted that I sent my 1989 dated
casting to Rimco and had it rebushed for less than half the cost of
the new one, and put it back on. That was several years ago, and it
still works. That is your option #1 if you have an otherwise
serviceable carb that just leaks at the throttle shaft.

Option #2, about a year ago, a friend of mine bought a brand new
chinese 34pict-3 in an unmarked white box, and it was a fine, FINE
piece of goods. Nicely finished all around, it even had the alternator
style accelerator pump linkage(Score!). It was purchased at BAP import
auto parts in Mesa, AZ. No idea who made it, all it said on the side
was "Carburetor Made in China" on the casting where you would normally
see the solex/brosol/VW logo. There was zero documentation in the box
on who made it.

I jetted it, put it on...and it ran like a champ.

Good luck.

Chris
Old February 27th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill[_3_]

On Feb 26, 6:20*am, Jim Ed > wrote:
> *Which of these work and which leak at the throttle shaft?
> TIA

I also bought a Pierburg. On initial tuning of the idle mixture the
adjustment screw seemed a little tight in movement - turns out it was
cross-threaded (stripped) from the factory (I doubt if a human being
ever tests these things.) I got a partial refund and then bought an
Empi version which has worked OK. If I had it to do again, I'd grab
an old German Solex, send it out for new shaft bearings and surfacing
and throw a good quality kit on it. It doesn't matter who sent what
tooling to China, the German stuff is just better from the start.