8 3/4 mod

Old March 5th 04, 12:22 PM
William O'Connor

Default 8 3/4 mod

Greetings,
Sorry for the cross-post but I wasn't sure which group would have the
information I was looking for.

I have two 8 3/4" 3.55-1 ratio Sure-Grip rear axles that I took out of a
couple early 70's Dodge pickups before I junked them (they were basket
cases).

Here's my problem.

I want to use the SureGrips under a '78 Dodge Warlock 4x4 that I'm building.
I can bolt one of them directly on the rear of the truck, but the front axle
is another matter. Will the existing front housing accept the differential
from a 8 3/4 (I believe the current differential is a Dana 44)? If so,
would the axle shafts fit the Suregrip or have to be resplined? I could
convert one of the rear housings into a front housing, but then I would have
to find a donor for the longer shaft.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

"...and on the other hand you have 5 fingers..."

Old March 5th 04, 03:42 PM
Joshua Skinner

You're better of buying 3.54s for the Dana 44 front axle. Fitting the 8 3/4
gears and differential would end up a nightmare of machining if it's possible at
all as NONE of the parts interchange.

Joshua Skinner

Old March 5th 04, 03:42 PM
Joshua Skinner

Old March 6th 04, 05:56 AM
William O'Connor

> Will the existing Dana 44 front housing accept the differential
> from a 8 3/4 ?

I actually found out that the 8 3/4 uses a banjo-type axle assembly while
the Dana 44 use a carrier-tube axle assembly. Definately NOT interchangable.
=P

Thanks to all that helped,

Old March 6th 04, 05:56 AM
William O'Connor