Why are Transmissions so scary?

Old January 7th 05, 03:31 PM
mike

Default Why are Transmissions so scary?

As per previous postings this week, I have a 95 neon with a piece of
the broken clutch cable stuck somewhere within the bell housing.
Called arround to get quotes on dropping the tranny to get this piece
out so that I can connect the new cable and get the gf back on the road
so I don't have to drive her to work.
The only two places that will touch the transmission is the Dealer and
Mr. Transmissions.
What is the big deal with transmissions?
If there was not snow on the ground, I would be dropping the
transmission out of the car, right where it sits in the driveway.
One of my neighbors ones a garage, but said that I could use the
equipment in it, but I was on my own to work on it.

Still don't see what the issue is. I would figure that messing with the
timing belt or anything inside the actual engine would be more of a
risk then droping a transmission.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Old January 7th 05, 04:51 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, mike wrote:

> As per previous postings this week, I have a 95 neon with a piece of the
> broken clutch cable stuck somewhere within the bell housing. Called
> arround to get quotes on dropping the tranny to get this piece out so
> that I can connect the new cable and get the gf back on the road so I
> don't have to drive her to work. The only two places that will touch the
> transmission is the Dealer and Mr. Transmissions.

The only two places? H'mm. Where-all did you call?

> What is the big deal with transmissions?

Nothing. That's why I want to know who-all you called.

DS
Old January 7th 05, 04:51 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 7th 05, 07:44 PM
mike

Called Speedy Auto Service, Canadian tire (was originally looking for
part and labor price before I bought the cable at the dealer)
Mr. Transmission (they would drop the trany for $425 + tax)
Dealer (they would do it for $95 an hour, forgot how many hours they
quoted)
and a couple of other places. Not very many people will touch
transmissions.
Also keep in mind that I was calling places within 10 to 15 miles from
home, as I would have to tow the car there.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Old January 7th 05, 07:44 PM
mike

Old January 7th 05, 08:00 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, mike wrote:

> Called Speedy Auto Service, Canadian tire (was originally looking for
> part and labor price before I bought the cable at the dealer)
> Mr. Transmission (they would drop the trany for $425 + tax)

Well, there's your problem. You're calling all the wrong kinds of places.
Speedy and Canadian Tire are not real shops. There are no real mechanics
there. They are *parts changers*. They can remove an old exhaust system
and install a new one. They can remove old brake pads and install new
ones. They can remove an old brake caliper and/or rotor and install new.
They can change oil and other fluids. They can change filters and wiper
blades. They can change tires. They can remove an old alternator and
install a new one. They can replace dead headlight bulbs.

They cannot diagnose beyond the very rudimentary. They cannot competently
do "involved" jobs that require disassembly and reassembly beyond the very
rudimentary.

What you need to find is a *mechanic*. Get in the yellow pages. Every town
has lots of independent car service shops. Call half a dozen of them,
describe the problem, find a shop that sounds good and go there -- problem
solved.

DS
Old January 7th 05, 08:00 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 7th 05, 11:02 PM
Al Bundy

The real scary part about transmissions is the low level of integrity
of most transmission shops. They know most people are not prepared to
do any of the work or even understand the problems. They have a open
door to take advantage and they do so.

Old January 7th 05, 11:24 PM
mike

That is the kicker. I know the problem, and what has to be done.
I can not justify paying $425CND + taxes for them to drop my tranny to
take a half inch piece of wire and a washer out of the bell housing.