Tail light louvers

Old May 7th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jonezzzman[_2_]

Default Tail light louvers

Can someone tell me more about the tail light louvers for late 80's
early 90's?

I've seen them on 88 GT's. What do they mean? Are they an option or
were they only on specific year(s)?

Can I buy just the louvers or do I have to get the whole tail light
assembly?

Thanks

Byron
Old May 7th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_43_]

jonezzzman > wrote in t:

> Can someone tell me more about the tail light louvers for late 80's
> early 90's?
>
> I've seen them on 88 GT's. What do they mean? Are they an option or
> were they only on specific year(s)?
>
> Can I buy just the louvers or do I have to get the whole tail light
> assembly?
>

> Thanks
>
> Byron

The louvered tail lights were stock on the late Fox GT cars:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW

The louvers are part of the stock assembly, but you may be able
to find aftermarket units that may suit your purpose.
Old May 7th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim C[_2_]

On May 7, 1:16*am, jonezzzman > wrote:
> Can someone tell me more about the tail light louvers for late 80's
> early 90's?
>
> I've seen them on 88 GT's. *What do they mean? *Are they an option or
> were they only on specific year(s)?
>
> Can I buy just the louvers or do I have to get the whole tail light
> assembly?
>
> Thanks
>
> Byron

They were one of the GT - specific options on the 87 - 93's,
derisively called the cheese graters. A common upgrade /
customization is the replacement of these with the standard 'clean' LX
tail lights, so you could probably find someone here, or on eBay, or
on a parts for sale / parts wanted site who has a pair in their garage
that they'd sell.
Old May 7th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

jonezzzman wrote:
> Can someone tell me more about the tail light louvers for late 80's
> early 90's?
>
> I've seen them on 88 GT's. What do they mean? Are they an option or
> were they only on specific year(s)?
>
> Can I buy just the louvers or do I have to get the whole tail light
> assembly?
>

> Thanks
>
> Byron

And they aren't louvers, it's actually painted onto the plastic lens.

--

"I've also noted that a couple of my regular spammers
have pretty much switched over to phishing and 419s

"If it's from BRNIC, it's GOT to be blocked" - Buss Error
Old May 7th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_43_]

"WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in news:fvt0fb$f9c$3
@posting2.glorb.com:

> jonezzzman wrote:
>> Can someone tell me more about the tail light louvers for late 80's
>> early 90's?
>>
>> I've seen them on 88 GT's. What do they mean? Are they an option or
>> were they only on specific year(s)?
>>
>> Can I buy just the louvers or do I have to get the whole tail light
>> assembly?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Byron

> And they aren't louvers, it's actually painted onto the plastic

lens.

Where do you come up with this crap?
Old May 8th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

Joe > wrote in news:Xns9A97A511B4D7nospamforme@
216.77.188.18:

> Where do you come up with this crap?

The original louvers were actual metal louvers that covered the entire rear
lighting from side to side. The ones referred to on ebay were molded into
the lens assembly, so you do not get the same effect as the metal louvers.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old May 8th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Default Tail light louvers PING: Dwight

elaich wrote:
> Joe > wrote in news:Xns9A97A511B4D7nospamforme@
> 216.77.188.18:
>
>> Where do you come up with this crap?

> The original louvers were actual metal louvers that covered the entire rear
> lighting from side to side. The ones referred to on ebay were molded into
> the lens assembly, so you do not get the same effect as the metal louvers.

I've never seen a set with metal louvers that screw or stick over
the plastic lens. Every pair that I've ever seen (and looked at close
enough to notice) was molded into the plastic lens and then painted the
color of the car in the same way that the lines between the segments on
the LX lenses are painted black. I note this as I hold in my hands the
original OEM lenses off of a 90 GT and from my 89 LX along with a new
OEM replacement set for my LX. The post you quoted is just more of that
troll's petty bull**** that he posts in reply to any post I make even if
he's wrong, like now.

I have a representative photo showing said detail if you would like
to see it. If you have a photo of one with separate louvers I'd like to
see it. I'm sure it's possible the early GTs from 87 and 88 could have
been different.

Perhaps Dwight will be so kind as to tell us how the lenses are made
on CFrog...

Old May 8th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_98_]

"WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in
:

> elaich wrote:
>> Joe > wrote in news:Xns9A97A511B4D7nospamforme@
>> 216.77.188.18:
>>
>>> Where do you come up with this crap?

>> The original louvers were actual metal louvers that covered the
>> entire rear lighting from side to side. The ones referred to on ebay
>> were molded into the lens assembly, so you do not get the same effect
>> as the metal louvers.
>>

> I've never seen a set with metal louvers that screw or stick over
> the plastic lens. Every pair that I've ever seen (and looked at close
> enough to notice) was molded into the plastic lens and then painted
> the color of the car in the same way that the lines between the
> segments on the LX lenses are painted black. I note this as I hold in
> my hands the original OEM lenses off of a 90 GT and from my 89 LX
> along with a new OEM replacement set for my LX. The post you quoted is
> just more of that troll's petty bull**** that he posts in reply to any
> post I make even if he's wrong, like now.
>
> I have a representative photo showing said detail if you would like
> to see it. If you have a photo of one with separate louvers I'd like
> to see it. I'm sure it's possible the early GTs from 87 and 88 could
> have been different.
>
> Perhaps Dwight will be so kind as to tell us how the lenses are
> made
> on CFrog...

No matter how you cut it, they're not "painted onto the plastic lens" as
WF erroneously claims (no surprise there).

As elaich said, the louvers are either the metal ones that cover an LX-
style lens, or the plastic ones that are molded into the lens with
actual texture.
Old May 8th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Joe wrote:
> "WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in
> :
>
>> elaich wrote:
>>> Joe > wrote in news:Xns9A97A511B4D7nospamforme@
>>> 216.77.188.18:

>>> The original louvers were actual metal louvers that covered the
>>> entire rear lighting from side to side. The ones referred to on ebay
>>> were molded into the lens assembly, so you do not get the same effect
>>> as the metal louvers.
>>>

>> I've never seen a set with metal louvers that screw or stick over
>> the plastic lens. Every pair that I've ever seen (and looked at close
>> enough to notice) was molded into the plastic lens and then painted
>> the color of the car in the same way that the lines between the
>> segments on the LX lenses are painted black. I note this as I hold in
>> my hands the original OEM lenses off of a 90 GT and from my 89 LX
>> along with a new OEM replacement set for my LX. The post you quoted is
>> just more of that troll's petty bull**** that he posts in reply to any
>> post I make even if he's wrong, like now.
>>
>> I have a representative photo showing said detail if you would like
>> to see it. If you have a photo of one with separate louvers I'd like
>> to see it. I'm sure it's possible the early GTs from 87 and 88 could
>> have been different.
>>
>> Perhaps Dwight will be so kind as to tell us how the lenses are
>> made
>> on CFrog...

> No matter how you cut it, they're not "painted onto the plastic lens" as
> WF erroneously claims (no surprise there).

Absolutely 10,000% incorrect. This gibberish bull**** could not be
more incorrect if this petty troll tried to be wrong by lying. This
troll is purposely combative for no apparent reason and just attempts to
invalidate a reply from me out of petty bull****. I know factually how
these are made as I have a pair of lenses that I personally removed from
a 1990 GT in a junkyard. They are the OEM Ford lenses and I have a
picture that shows how they are made.

The cheese grater look is molded into the plastic lens and is
painted directly onto the plastic the same color as the car. So yes, the
louvered look *is* painted on to the lens. I suggest the OP take that
info to the bank from the person holding the lenses in his hand rather
than a purposely combative troll. I have been told that the GT lenses
can be placed on the LX tail light assy in replacement of the LX lenses,
but I have never confirmed this myself.

Old May 8th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

"WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in message
> Joe wrote:
>> "WindsorFox<SS>" > wrote in
>> :

>>> I've never seen a set with metal louvers that screw or stick over
>>> the plastic lens. Every pair that I've ever seen (and looked at close
>>> enough to notice) was molded into the plastic lens and then painted
>>> the color of the car in the same way that the lines between the
>>> segments on the LX lenses are painted black. I note this as I hold in
>>> my hands the original OEM lenses off of a 90 GT and from my 89 LX
>>> along with a new OEM replacement set for my LX. The post you quoted is
>>> just more of that troll's petty bull**** that he posts in reply to any
>>> post I make even if he's wrong, like now.
>>>
>>> I have a representative photo showing said detail if you would like
>>> to see it. If you have a photo of one with separate louvers I'd like
>>> to see it. I'm sure it's possible the early GTs from 87 and 88 could
>>> have been different.
>>>
>>> Perhaps Dwight will be so kind as to tell us how the lenses are
>>> made on CFrog...

>> No matter how you cut it, they're not "painted onto the plastic lens" as
>> WF erroneously claims (no surprise there).

> Absolutely 10,000% incorrect. This gibberish bull**** could not be more
> incorrect if this petty troll tried to be wrong by lying. This troll is
> purposely combative for no apparent reason and just attempts to invalidate
> a reply from me out of petty bull****. I know factually how these are made
> as I have a pair of lenses that I personally removed from a 1990 GT in a
> junkyard. They are the OEM Ford lenses and I have a picture that shows how
> they are made.
>
> The cheese grater look is molded into the plastic lens and is painted
> directly onto the plastic the same color as the car. So yes, the louvered
> look *is* painted on to the lens. I suggest the OP take that info to the
> bank from the person holding the lenses in his hand rather than a
> purposely combative troll. I have been told that the GT lenses can be
> placed on the LX tail light assy in replacement of the LX lenses, but I
> have never confirmed this myself.
>

> "I've also noted that a couple of my regular spammers
> have pretty much switched over to phishing and 419s
> from pecker pills and sawdust tablets." - Bar0
>
> "If it's from BRNIC, it's GOT to be blocked" - Buss Error

I hate to add to a disagreement. CFrog's appear to be some sort of plastic
laminate, perhaps 1/16th or even 1/32nd of an inch thick, glued onto the
lenses themselves. Without removing them, that's what it looks like to me.
The "louvers" do obviously stand off from the lenses, but they cannot be
separately removed. Still, they are not painted on (i.e.: flush with the
surface of the lens). Given the manufacturing standards of 1993, I have to
believe that the overlays (louvers) were painted separately, then glued atop
the lenses. There's no way that they could be painted onto the lenses with
such precision.

Of course, Reef Blue being such a SPECIAL color, perhaps mine were
manufactured differently from the run-of-the-mill colors. (Doubt it.)

Because you asked, I spent the last half hour taking and uploading a couple
of shots, which show how the louvers stand off from the lenses:
http://www.tfrog.com/digitals/daily/daily.htm
It's a good thing I'm on vacation with absolutely nothing to do. (Also,
while you're there, don't miss the beautiful flower shot on the main page
www.tfrog.com That, actually, is the ONE thing I have to do - pull that #*%$
out.)

Also (a damn shame), it looks like you can find all kinds of LX-style
taillight assemblies in the aftermarket, but no GT cheese graters (except in
Fox's junkyard). LX, Cobra style, or some really crappy Euro style
taillights, but no GTs.

According to 50Resto, all 1983-1993 taillight assemblies are interchangable,
so it looks like you could as easily go from LX to GT as from GT to LX.

dwight