Stuck passenger door lock (1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

Old February 5th 16, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

Default Stuck passenger door lock (1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 17:49:18 -0800 (PST), Jc Maxwell
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 3:57:29 PM UTC-7, Bill Vanek wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 14:48:12 -0800 (PST), Jc Maxwell
>> > wrote:

>> >Yes to the first - replaced the battery, to no effect.

>> Did you program the fob after replacing the battery? It might be
>> necessary, even though it's not a new fob. It is necessary with new
>> ones.

>Can't do it. My particular model year (1998) requires a trip to the dealer to pair new fobs or keys with the car. First-generation PATS wasn't that great.

Try this:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4174802AAFkfTX

>I have previously replaced the battery in the fob. It didn't require any special procedure, it just worked.

I don't know how that system works, but in general, a battery that
stays dead for an extended period can let a device lose its memory,
and sometimes things just happen. I think that if either the fob or
the module had its memory erased or corrupted, you would have to
reprogram. If the method in that link works, it's a cheap fix. Even
new fobs appear to be pretty cheap, and worth a try.
Old February 5th 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 7:30:08 PM UTC-7, Bill Vanek wrote:
> I don't know how that system works, but in general, a battery that
> stays dead for an extended period can let a device lose its memory,
> and sometimes things just happen. I think that if either the fob or
> the module had its memory erased or corrupted, you would have to
> reprogram. If the method in that link works, it's a cheap fix. Even
> new fobs appear to be pretty cheap, and worth a try.

Interesting. It's possible that you can pair a fob with the car without going to the dealer, if the method in that Yahoo answer works (and does not fry my PATS module or some such). I definitely had to go to the dealer to get a new key paired with the vehicle.
Old February 9th 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

Somehow the cell that was in the fob was apparently drained enough (measured at 5.03 V) that the fob wouldn't work. When I put in a fresh Rayovac CR 2032, presto, the car again answered to the fob. Must have been a poor-quality cell the first one.

Thing is, I could swear I tried that a few months ago, to no result. I even wrote on the "new-old" cell with Sharpie the words "new cell" so I wouldn't mix it up with the new-new Rayovac CR2032. Oh well, it works now.

Fob response is still not like new though. Sometimes, it takes multiple presses of the button for the vehicle to unlock. Could be the rubber in the fob buttons has become mushy with time and use. Lock and trunk release still work very crisply. The underlying dome switches are still mechanically sound. In fact, the fob innards are in remarkably good shape, for their age and constant use.

The old fob casing, however, is in bad shape, with shackle and a couple of corners chipped off. It turns out you can get a new casing & rubber keys (i.e., everything except the electronics & CR2032 cell) for cheap, so I ordered one.
Old February 9th 16, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:09:04 -0800 (PST), Jc Maxwell
> wrote:

>Somehow the cell that was in the fob was apparently drained enough (measured at 5.03 V) that the fob wouldn't work. When I put in a fresh Rayovac CR 2032, presto, the car again answered to the fob. Must have been a poor-quality cell the first one.
>
>Thing is, I could swear I tried that a few months ago, to no result. I even wrote on the "new-old" cell with Sharpie the words "new cell" so I wouldn't mix it up with the new-new Rayovac CR2032. Oh well, it works now.
>
>Fob response is still not like new though. Sometimes, it takes multiple presses of the button for the vehicle to unlock. Could be the rubber in the fob buttons has become mushy with time and use. Lock and trunk release still work very crisply. The underlying dome switches are still mechanically sound. In fact, the fob innards are in remarkably good shape, for their age and constant use.
>
>The old fob casing, however, is in bad shape, with shackle and a couple of corners chipped off. It turns out you can get a new casing & rubber keys (i.e., everything except the electronics & CR2032 cell) for cheap, so I ordered one.

It's likely that the battery contacts in the fob have some corrosion,
and that is why the remote started working after the battery change.
Try cleaning them.
Old February 10th 16, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 10:19:50 AM UTC-7, Bill Vanek wrote:
> It's likely that the battery contacts in the fob have some corrosion,
> and that is why the remote started working after the battery change.
> Try cleaning them.

They didn't look dirty but I cleaned 'em anyway, using 91% rubbing alcohol.

Some of the switches that underlie the buttons did look a little dirty. Cleaned those too.

Fob works great now. What a relief!
Old November 19th 20, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Cruiser

Approximately how long does it take to replace a driver door cylinder. I have decent mechanical abilities just never attempted something like this.

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/stu...ls-117659-.htm

Old November 21st 20, 07:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Cruiser wrote:
> Approximately how long does it take to replace a driver door
> cylinder. I have decent mechanical abilities just never attempted
> something like this.

That one is a pain as the handle has to come off to access the cylinder
and those are riveted on. You remove the inner trim, the water shield,
release the clip from the handle to the latch. Then lift up the handle
and use something to hold it up, then drill out the rivets. Then remove
the handle and now you can release the clip on the cylinder and remove
it. Install the replacement, install the handle and either rivet it on
or use some short pan head screws to re-attach it. Attach the actuating
rods and clips to the lock and handle and test it. If it works put the
trim back on. Time wise it will normally take about an hour if you have
the tools ready and have practice. So figure a DIY first time will take
closer to 2 hours or so.

Bigger question is why replace it? Is it bad or just no key? If no key a
smith may be able to cut you one from the VIN.

--
Steve W.