12vdc car battery charger

Old January 26th 21, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
alan

Default 12vdc car battery charger

My 40 year old steel case 6 amp automotive battery charger finally died.
I only want to replace it (and I don't want a contraption that jumps cars).

I just want a new 120VAC simple sturdy 12VDC automotive car battery charger.
And I don't get out to the stores much lately.

Mine had an analog meter, and a 6V/12V switch (which I never used at 6V).
If they still come with an analog amperage needle, that would be nice.

Any advice where to get a good simple sturdy 12VDC battery charger online?
Old January 26th 21, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 01/26/2021 12:04 PM, alan wrote:
> My 40 year old steel case 6 amp automotive battery charger finally died.
> I only want to replace it (and I don't want a contraption that jumps cars).
>
> I just want a new 120VAC simple sturdy 12VDC automotive car battery charger.
> And I don't get out to the stores much lately.
>
> Mine had an analog meter, and a 6V/12V switch (which I never used at 6V).
> If they still come with an analog amperage needle, that would be nice.
>
> Any advice where to get a good simple sturdy 12VDC battery charger online?

Like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KMA...gAAOSwq-BgDzOv

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Mate-...MAAOSwFgxgCkU3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumacher-...UAAOSwWU1gDbFS

I now appreciate the one we've had for decades.

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

Old January 27th 21, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 27/1/21 9:01 am, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/26/2021 12:04 PM, alan wrote:
>> My 40 year old steel case 6 amp automotive battery charger finally died.
>> I only want to replace it (and I don't want a contraption that jumps
>> cars).
>>
>> I just want a new 120VAC simple sturdy 12VDC automotive car battery
>> charger.
>> And I don't get out to the stores much lately.
>>
>> Mine had an analog meter, and a 6V/12V switch (which I never used at 6V).
>> If they still come with an analog amperage needle, that would be nice.
>>
>> Any advice where to get a good simple sturdy 12VDC battery charger
>> online?

> Like these?
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KMA...gAAOSwq-BgDzOv
>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Mate-...MAAOSwFgxgCkU3
>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumacher-...UAAOSwWU1gDbFS
>

> I now appreciate the one we've had for decades.

Ditto. I have one very similar but 4 amps rather than three and I have
had it for close on 40 years. No smarts on those. They will however not
overcharge a normal sized (30-40AH) car battery. In fact, the
normal/safe charging rate of a lead acid battery is a current rate of
25% of the amp hour capacity of the battery. So 10 amps for a 40 amp
hour battery. Therefore charging at 3 or 4 amps will take a lot longer
but will not damage the battery or gas it up. My charger typically drops
the current to 1 amp or less once the battery is charged.

A problem I have found with the so called smart chargers is that they
can't handle a battery that is close to flat. I do have a smart 6/12V
charger and it is handy for some 6 volt batteries I have. The one I
mentioned above only does 12 Volts which, up until recently, was all I
ever needed.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old January 27th 21, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 01/26/2021 08:19 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 27/1/21 9:01 am, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 01/26/2021 12:04 PM, alan wrote:
>>> My 40 year old steel case 6 amp automotive battery charger finally died.
>>> I only want to replace it (and I don't want a contraption that jumps
>>> cars).
>>>
>>> I just want a new 120VAC simple sturdy 12VDC automotive car battery
>>> charger.
>>> And I don't get out to the stores much lately.
>>>
>>> Mine had an analog meter, and a 6V/12V switch (which I never used at 6V).
>>> If they still come with an analog amperage needle, that would be nice.
>>>
>>> Any advice where to get a good simple sturdy 12VDC battery charger
>>> online?

>> Like these?
>>
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KMA...gAAOSwq-BgDzOv
>>
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Mate-...MAAOSwFgxgCkU3
>>
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumacher-...UAAOSwWU1gDbFS
>>
>> I now appreciate the one we've had for decades.
>>

> Ditto. I have one very similar but 4 amps rather than three and I have
> had it for close on 40 years. No smarts on those. They will however not
> overcharge a normal sized (30-40AH) car battery. In fact, the
> normal/safe charging rate of a lead acid battery is a current rate of
> 25% of the amp hour capacity of the battery. So 10 amps for a 40 amp
> hour battery. Therefore charging at 3 or 4 amps will take a lot longer
> but will not damage the battery or gas it up. My charger typically drops
> the current to 1 amp or less once the battery is charged.

I guess they didn't have to be smart to do that, just skillful!

> A problem I have found with the so called smart chargers is that they
> can't handle a battery that is close to flat. I do have a smart 6/12V
> charger and it is handy for some 6 volt batteries I have. The one I
> mentioned above only does 12 Volts which, up until recently, was all I
> ever needed.

I think the most recent 6V battery we possessed was for the 1960 Ducati
Monza.

--
Cheers, Bev

Old January 27th 21, 08:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 27/1/21 5:10 pm, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/26/2021 08:19 PM, Xeno wrote:

>>> Like these?
>>>
>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KMA...gAAOSwq-BgDzOv
>>>

>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Mate-...MAAOSwFgxgCkU3
>>>

>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumacher-...UAAOSwWU1gDbFS
>>>

>>> I now appreciate the one we've had for decades.
>>>

>> Ditto. I have one very similar but 4 amps rather than three and I have
>> had it for close on 40 years. No smarts on those. They will however not
>> overcharge a normal sized (30-40AH) car battery. In fact, the
>> normal/safe charging rate of a lead acid battery is a current rate of
>> 25% of the amp hour capacity of the battery. So 10 amps for a 40 amp
>> hour battery. Therefore charging at 3 or 4 amps will take a lot longer
>> but will not damage the battery or gas it up. My charger typically drops
>> the current to 1 amp or less once the battery is charged.

> I guess they didn't have to be smart to do that, just skillful!

Nah, battery resistance increases as it charges cutting down the
current. No skill required.

>> A problem I have found with the so called smart chargers is that they
>> can't handle a battery that is close to flat. I do have a smart 6/12V
>> charger and it is handy for some 6 volt batteries I have. The one I
>> mentioned above only does 12 Volts which, up until recently, was all I
>> ever needed.

> I think the most recent 6V battery we possessed was for the 1960 Ducati
> Monza.

I have a couple from battery backup devices, one such being the NBN
battery backup box. The charger in the battery box isn't the best and,
every now and then, the battery low warning light comes on so I remove
the battery, give it a charge on the smart charger up to 12.7-12.8
Volts, plug it back in and have no further issues for a few more months.

Old January 27th 21, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

alan wrote:
> My 40 year old steel case 6 amp automotive battery charger finally died.
> I only want to replace it (and I don't want a contraption that jumps cars).
>
> I just want a new 120VAC simple sturdy 12VDC automotive car battery
> charger.
> And I don't get out to the stores much lately.
>
> Mine had an analog meter, and a 6V/12V switch (which I never used at 6V).
> If they still come with an analog amperage needle, that would be nice.
>
> Any advice where to get a good simple sturdy 12VDC battery charger online?

I use an old computer 350w power supply as a battery charger.
It works quite well.
Old January 29th 21, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom[_43_]

On 2021-01-27, Xeno > wrote:
> On 27/1/21 9:01 am, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 01/26/2021 12:04 PM, alan wrote:
>>> My 40 year old steel case 6 amp automotive battery charger finally died.
>>> I only want to replace it (and I don't want a contraption that jumps
>>> cars).
>>>
>>> I just want a new 120VAC simple sturdy 12VDC automotive car battery
>>> charger.
>>> And I don't get out to the stores much lately.
>>>
>>> Mine had an analog meter, and a 6V/12V switch (which I never used at 6V).
>>> If they still come with an analog amperage needle, that would be nice.
>>>
>>> Any advice where to get a good simple sturdy 12VDC battery charger
>>> online?

> A problem I have found with the so called smart chargers is that they
> can't handle a battery that is close to flat. I do have a smart 6/12V
> charger and it is handy for some 6 volt batteries I have. The one I
> mentioned above only does 12 Volts which, up until recently, was all I
> ever needed.

A trick I picked up somewhere along the way for smart chargers and dead
batteries: if you wire a charged battery in parallel with the dead battery,
the charger will operate as expected. You can disconnect the helper
battery after a few hours to finish charging the dead battery alone.

Tom
Old January 30th 21, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 30/1/21 7:07 am, Tom wrote:
> On 2021-01-27, Xeno > wrote:

>> A problem I have found with the so called smart chargers is that they
>> can't handle a battery that is close to flat. I do have a smart 6/12V
>> charger and it is handy for some 6 volt batteries I have. The one I
>> mentioned above only does 12 Volts which, up until recently, was all I
>> ever needed.

> A trick I picked up somewhere along the way for smart chargers and dead
> batteries: if you wire a charged battery in parallel with the dead battery,
> the charger will operate as expected. You can disconnect the helper
> battery after a few hours to finish charging the dead battery alone.
>
> Tom

Yeah, I thought I might need to resort to something like your idea above
but I left the smart charger connected for quite some time and it
eventually started pulse charging. I will know next time I need to top
it up whether the pulse charging and trickle charging have worked with
that particular battery.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

help with car battery charger connections [email protected] Technology 0 August 23rd 09 08:02 PM
help with car battery charger connections mike[_29_] Technology 13 August 23rd 09 06:28 PM
$3 battery charger Proctologically Violated©® Technology 6 June 13th 07 08:45 PM
O.T. Battery charger FrankW Jeep 12 October 29th 05 03:46 AM
12VDC Air COmpressors Andy Jeep 2 February 27th 05 02:36 AM