If MOT centre gets it wrong.. possible to get money back?

Old May 14th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
Signal

Default If MOT centre gets it wrong.. possible to get money back?

Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.

I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.

One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
expenses may materialize.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
Old May 14th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
Bystander

"Signal" > wrote in message
> Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
> strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
> This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
> lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.
>
> I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
> sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
> car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.
>
> One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
> free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
> only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
> already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
> if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
> approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
> point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
> expenses may materialize.
>
> Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

There is probably an appeal procedure that you can find on the VOSA website.
For the money involved though, is it worth it?

Old May 15th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
Djornsk

Signal wrote:
> Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
> strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
> This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
> lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.
>
> I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
> sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
> car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.
>
> One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
> free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
> only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
> already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
> if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
> approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
> point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
> expenses may materialize.
>
> Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
>

> --
> S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Many years ago I made the same mistake when testing a VW and on that
occasion the customer had simply returned to the garage and it was
quickly sorted out without any fuss. Less experienced testers do make
these mistakes from time to time.

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 15th 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
Tommo

On 15 May, 08:27, Djornsk > wrote:
> Signal wrote:
> > Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
> > strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
> > This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
> > lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.

> > I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
> > sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
> > car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.

> > One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
> > free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
> > only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
> > already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
> > if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
> > approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
> > point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
> > expenses may materialize.

> > Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

> > --
> > S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

> Many years ago I made the same mistake when testing a VW and on that
> occasion the customer had simply returned to the garage and it was
> quickly sorted out without any fuss. Less experienced testers do make
> these mistakes from time to time.

I think this is good advice. Try and resolve it amicably, and with a
bit of luck they will refund you. If not, I think you certainly
should be able to take the matter further. You should not have to pay
for defective services, and an MOT is no different. Whether the best
option is to sue for such a small amount of money (remember you will
need proof that they got their advice wrong - they new MOT certificate
from another garage alone may not be sufficient) or complain through
the authorities is another matter.

Old May 15th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
MrCheerful

"Signal" > wrote in message
> Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
> strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
> This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
> lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.
>
> I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
> sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
> car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.
>
> One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
> free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
> only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
> already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
> if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
> approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
> point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
> expenses may materialize.
>
> Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
>

> --
> S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

explain it to the garage, if no joy then ask for a VT17 form and follow the
instructions.

Mrcheerful

Old May 15th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
Signal

"Bystander" > wrote:

>> Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
>> strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
>> This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
>> lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.
>>
>> I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
>> sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
>> car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.
>>
>> One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
>> free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
>> only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
>> already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
>> if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
>> approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
>> point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
>> expenses may materialize.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

>There is probably an appeal procedure that you can find on the VOSA website.
>For the money involved though, is it worth it?

Not particularly, but on principle I'd pursue a refund or complaint if
they are a) trying to pull a fast one b) getting things wrong. The
idea being to dissuade them from repeating the pattern. As it is time
wasn't on my side so I am taking no action, but they're local, so word
of mouth should be effective.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
Old May 15th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
Alan[_2_]

"Signal" > wrote in message
> "Bystander" > wrote:
>
>>> Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
>>> strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
>>> This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
>>> lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.
>>>
>>> I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
>>> sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
>>> car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.
>>>
>>> One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
>>> free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
>>> only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
>>> already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
>>> if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
>>> approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
>>> point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
>>> expenses may materialize.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

>>There is probably an appeal procedure that you can find on the VOSA
>>website.
>>For the money involved though, is it worth it?

> Not particularly, but on principle I'd pursue a refund or complaint if
> they are a) trying to pull a fast one b) getting things wrong. The
> idea being to dissuade them from repeating the pattern. As it is time
> wasn't on my side so I am taking no action, but they're local, so word
> of mouth should be effective.
>

> --
> S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

book am MOT with VOSA testing station telling them exactly what you have
said here it's the Heavy Goods and PCV testing station itshould be in the
directory

Old May 15th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
Signal

Tommo > wrote:

>> > Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
>> > strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
>> > This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
>> > lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.

>> > I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
>> > sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
>> > car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.

>> > One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
>> > free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
>> > only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
>> > already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
>> > if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
>> > approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
>> > point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
>> > expenses may materialize.

>> > Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

>> > --
>> > S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

>> Many years ago I made the same mistake when testing a VW and on that
>> occasion the customer had simply returned to the garage and it was
>> quickly sorted out without any fuss. Less experienced testers do make
>> these mistakes from time to time.
>>

>I think this is good advice. Try and resolve it amicably, and with a
>bit of luck they will refund you. If not, I think you certainly
>should be able to take the matter further. You should not have to pay
>for defective services, and an MOT is no different. Whether the best
>option is to sue for such a small amount of money (remember you will
>need proof that they got their advice wrong - they new MOT certificate
>from another garage alone may not be sufficient) or complain through
>the authorities is another matter.

Thanks guys - I tried. Politely explained to the mech that as a free
floating assembly, VW said the wheels would effectively be "dangling"
when the car is jacked, and what he described as "excessive movement"
they considered normal. Explained that for this reason VW test Mk3
suspensions *on the ground*, with a shaker plate, and routinely pass
cars brought to them which have failed MOTs on this technicality.

So he says, come down he'll show me the problem. He jacks up the car,
puts a bar under a front wheel and demonstrated that the wheel could
be lifted up and down by approx an inch, said other side is the same.
I said OK.. that's expected according to VW.. and doesn't it strike
you as odd that both sides behave exactly the same? Now *I* would't
know if an inch is too much movement (opinions pls..) but this was
adamant he wouldn't pass it unless the top mounts were replaced, so
I'm getting nowhere.

Also I read that... http://www.motester.co.uk/st7.html
"...unless that joint is really ready to ‘pop-out’, the VOSA creed is
“pass and advise”"

Anyway, took it to another MOT centre it passed.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
Old May 15th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
Signal

"Alan" > wrote:

>"Signal" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>There is probably an appeal procedure that you can find on the VOSA
>>>website.
>>>For the money involved though, is it worth it?

>> Not particularly, but on principle I'd pursue a refund or complaint if
>> they are a) trying to pull a fast one b) getting things wrong. The
>> idea being to dissuade them from repeating the pattern. As it is time
>> wasn't on my side so I am taking no action, but they're local, so word
>> of mouth should be effective.
>>

>> --
>> S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

>book am MOT with VOSA testing station telling them exactly what you have
>said here it's the Heavy Goods and PCV testing station itshould be in the
>directory

Too late I'm afraid, but I know people who use this garage.. so if I
can confirm his assessment is incorrect I will explain what happened
to others.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t
Old May 31st 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,uk.legal
none2u

"MrCheerful" > wrote in message
k...

> "Signal" > wrote in message
>> Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson
>> strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly".
>> This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was
>> lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.
>>
>> I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this
>> sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a
>> car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.
>>
>> One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for
>> free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They
>> only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've
>> already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel
>> if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to
>> approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this
>> point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and
>> expenses may materialize.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
>>

>> --
>> S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

> explain it to the garage, if no joy then ask for a VT17 form and follow
> the instructions.
>
> Mrcheerful
>
>>> My question is, Did he move the strut up and down ,as is normal. or the
>>> mount up and down with a pry bar. Did he compress the rubber because the
>>> weight was off . normal again. Or was the bearing insert moving up and
>>> down and debonded from the rubber. Not so good. His test was flawed
>>> unless he had help to see where the compression was from . Or he is very
>>> experienced. I suspect not.

Charleston, WV, USA and Baltimore centre videos Carl Rogers Driving 5 November 24th 06 04:34 AM
A4 centre air vent removal Dave Audi 1 February 20th 06 08:39 PM
Cyclops/Centre Brake Light Simon Templar Ford Explorer 4 July 15th 05 04:17 AM
Centre consoles on E38 & E39 Paul Aspinall BMW 3 July 4th 05 08:11 AM
Alloy centre badge? Toby BMW 6 March 25th 05 11:12 PM