95 Explorer 4x4 Tranny Problems

Old November 9th 05, 08:23 PM
Paul

Default 95 Explorer 4x4 Tranny Problems

Hi all. This is my first post. I have a 1995 Explorer, 4x4, V6, with
123,000 miles. About a month ago started having tranny problems. Here
are my symptoms:

- Slow, hesitant shift from 2nd to 3rd, better when I ease off the gas
- Blinking O/D light
- Leaking some tranny oil, but dip stick always reads full
- Fluid color looks good
- Seems to be getting worse with continued use

I suspect I need to replace the tranny. Tranny shop wants $2500. A
friend of my brother-in-law says he will do it for $1200. Three repair
shops refused (or strongly discouraged) a tranny flush saying it would
only make the problem worse.

Any advice?

TIA. Paul.

Old November 12th 05, 01:33 AM
Jacob

I don't know much about cars, or transmissions, but I also have a 1995
Explorer with 107,000 miles on it. So far, the transmission seems ok; I've
had the system flushed/changed about every 25,000 miles since I've had it.
I was wondering if you have been changing/flushing the transmission system
regularly, and if so, at what mileage. Also, I've changed the transfer case
fluid about every 50,000 miles as well. The car runs fine, and considering
prices for cars today, I'd like to keep mine for a few more years, assuming
it continues to run ok. Good luck with yours, and please let me know if
you've changed the fluid regularly at at what mileage. Thanks.

oups.com...

Old November 12th 05, 03:50 AM
Paul

Hi Jacob. No I have not changed it regularly. I bought the car two
years ago with 97,000 miles, did a tranny flush short after I bought
it, so about 2 years and 25,000 miles ago. Never changed transfer case.

Now get this...driving it today, it starts shifting fine...after weeks
of slipping. What gives??? O/D light still flashing, but car is
shifting. I even hit the gas between 2nd and 3rd, and it still shifted.
I am baffled. I have someone who going to "fix" it starting tomorrow.

I am totally confused by this behavior. Since when can cars heal?