iRacing - Hardware

Old October 12th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dirt

Default iRacing - Hardware

So, I just found out about iRacing and it has me thinking about coming
back to sim racing after quite a while. What sort of hardware can you
really get away with? Are the minimums listed at iRacing.com
realistic, or is that really scraping the bottom of the barrel?

-Dirt-
Old October 13th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dirt

Thanks. My current processor is a dual core 2.33GHz and my graphics
card has an NVidia 7300 series chip (name unknown) and 512M. Not sure
if this quite meets the bill, though, as its now two years old. I
certainly won't be buying a new computer for iRacing, which why I'm
hoping my current setup could be made to work.

-Dirt-

Old October 13th 08, 10:49 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Remco Moedt

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:29:35 -0700 (PDT), Dirt
> wrote:

>Thanks. My current processor is a dual core 2.33GHz and my graphics
>card has an NVidia 7300 series chip (name unknown) and 512M. Not sure
>if this quite meets the bill, though, as its now two years old. I
>certainly won't be buying a new computer for iRacing, which why I'm
>hoping my current setup could be made to work.

I've an AMD 3500+ and a nVidia 6800 ultra. Granted, I had to cut down
a lot, up to class 5, but then I had an fps of 50, and not the feeling
I was missing out too much regarding graphics.

Cheers!

Remco
Old October 13th 08, 11:28 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dirt

On Oct 13, 11:03*am, (Andrew MacPherson)
wrote:

> I take it that;s the RAM on the video card, not the pain PC?

Yes, that is the video RAM. System RAM is 1G.
Old October 13th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dirt

On Oct 13, 10:49*am, no@email (Remco Moedt) wrote:

> I've an AMD 3500+ and a nVidia 6800 ultra. Granted, I had to cut down
> a lot, up to class 5, but then I had an fps of 50, and not the feeling
> I was missing out too much regarding graphics.

I haven't simmed since GPL, so I'm used to 30 fps!

-Dirt-

Old October 13th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

If you could run NR2003 full tilt, you can run iRacing. However a bump in
processor and graphics capability would NOT hurt.

-Larry

Old October 14th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_2_]

Processor is fine, GPU (vid) will make things nicer the 7300 is pretty much
like my 8600 I believe, I like it fine. I have an 8800gt and it runs better
on that card overall (but the card has a flaw and is on its way back with an

Old October 14th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dirt

Thanks, all, for the answers. Sounds like my current setup will be
adequate.

Now on to a different question. I still have my Thomas Super Wheel
but it has a serial port interface. Is there any way to make XPPro
recognize a serial interface properly? I tried once a year or two ago
when I put away my Win98 GPL machine but was never successful in
getting it calibrated properly. I contacted TSW but they essentially
suggest a complete rewire to their USB connection. My other option if
the TSW can't be made to work is the wireless PC control adapter and
my XBox360 wireless FFB wheel. Anybody use this wheel for iRacing?
The TSW is a brick and I love it, but FFB might be nice. My only
experience with FFB is on Forza Motorsports on the 360. I'm not
convinced yet.

-Dirt-

PS: Any of you approaching 40 like me and wondering just what the
hell you're still doing thinking about sim racing all the time?

Day 28 in the Big iRacing house <-- warning, long and about iRacing Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 October 1st 08 08:54 AM
[Hardware] Things *not* to do on the day before pay day... Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 September 9th 08 08:47 AM
soft top hardware Deano Jeep 6 February 6th 07 04:46 PM
need hardware advice.. Cris Eichler Simulators 15 September 15th 05 08:10 PM
Stake bed hardware [email protected] 4x4 1 December 28th 04 02:01 AM