Chinese Company Denies Defect in Recalled Tires

Old June 26th 07, 07:16 PM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving

Default Chinese Company Denies Defect in Recalled Tires

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/bu...7tires.html?hp

"According to the lawsuit, Zhongce officials admitted in September
2006 that the gum strip, a safety features that helps bind the tire
treads more securely, had been removed or not included on some tires.

But on Tuesday, Zhongce officials seemed defiant, saying Foreign Tire
Sales had been a client of Zhongce for nearly 10 years and had never
complained about defective tires.

Company officials also suggested that the problem is tied to a surge
in American imports of Chinese-made tires, which could be harming
American tire makers.

"Chinese tires have become an important force in the international
market," Mr. Xu at Zhongce said. "A lot of people would do things in
order to cut the throat of Chinese manufacturers. I think you should
think about the issue thoroughly. All American tire companies have set
up plants in China."

Indeed, since Firestone's vast recall in 2000, the world's biggest
tire makers have rushed into China to build new plants or to team up
with Chinese tire makers, partly because of the lower labor costs here
but also because of this country's soaring demand for automobiles.

Zhongce was once a state-owned company that in the 1950s made rubber
shoe soles.

In 2006, the company had about 8,000 employees and nearly $1 billion
in sales and had signed deals to supply or team up with some of the
world's biggest tire makers, including Goodyear, Yokohama and Cooper
Tire, according to company officials."

The accusation is serious. But there is as yet serious proof that the
Chinese company is at fault.

Example. "According to the lawsuit, Zhongce officials admitted in
September 2006 that the gum strip, a safety features that helps bind
the tire treads more securely, had been removed or not included on
some tires." Who in the Chinese company said what at when? What safety
features were missed in what make of tires?

Why can't the reporters at least secure the court document and clarify
the above? If the improter did not specify, shouldn't the reporters
also make the fact known?

Old June 26th 07, 08:10 PM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Brontide

On Jun 26, 2:16 pm, " > wrote:
> The accusation is serious. But there is as yet serious proof that the
> Chinese company is at fault.
>
> Example. "According to the lawsuit, Zhongce officials admitted in
> September 2006 that the gum strip, a safety features that helps bind
> the tire treads more securely, had been removed or not included on
> some tires." Who in the Chinese company said what at when? What safety
> features were missed in what make of tires?

Seems like a straight forward admission of guilt to me. The gum strip
is a safety feature required on all truck/SUV tires after the
firestone recall, a feature that the American importer was contracted
and paying for based on. Lengthy and costly testing showed that it
was probable that the tires were not made to spec and road testing
showed tread separation.

Why start a new thread on this topic?

Since you are from China, does it offend you that your companies are
defrauding the American suppliers?

-Eric

Old June 26th 07, 08:31 PM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving

On Jun 26, 3:10 pm, Brontide > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2:16 pm, " > wrote:
>
> > The accusation is serious. But there is as yet serious proof that the
> > Chinese company is at fault.

> > Example. "According to the lawsuit, Zhongce officials admitted in
> > September 2006 that the gum strip, a safety features that helps bind
> > the tire treads more securely, had been removed or not included on
> > some tires." Who in the Chinese company said what at when? What safety
> > features were missed in what make of tires?

> Seems like a straight forward admission of guilt to me.

Are the importer dumb?
Why would he accept the product them? If you were in the importer's
position, would you accept the product knowing that the abssence of
the
safety feature would got people killed and got you and your company
into
trouble?

> The gum strip
> is a safety feature required on all truck/SUV tires after the
> firestone recall, a feature that the American importer was contracted
> and paying for based on. Lengthy and costly testing showed that it
> was probable that the tires were not made to spec and road testing
> showed tread separation.
>
> Why start a new thread on this topic?

I had raised specific issues concerning the news. You are welcomed to
address them if you wish.

> Since you are from China, does it offend you that your companies are
> defrauding the American suppliers?

Where I was from does not change the issue. As I see it, right is
right and
wrong is wrong. It has nothing to do with ethncity. For example, I had
bought
a wheel which was made in China. I paid $199.00 instead of $599
accordng to
GM's MSRP whihc is also made in China. If the wheel was not
manufactured according to spec and I got hurt. I would be as mad as
any other people.

I, however, are disappointed by serious accusation wihout serious
proof.

Old June 26th 07, 08:36 PM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Brontide

On Jun 26, 3:31 pm, " > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 3:10 pm, Brontide > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 26, 2:16 pm, " > wrote:

> > > The accusation is serious. But there is as yet serious proof that the
> > > Chinese company is at fault.

> > > Example. "According to the lawsuit, Zhongce officials admitted in
> > > September 2006 that the gum strip, a safety features that helps bind
> > > the tire treads more securely, had been removed or not included on
> > > some tires." Who in the Chinese company said what at when? What safety
> > > features were missed in what make of tires?

> > Seems like a straight forward admission of guilt to me.

> Are the importer dumb?
> Why would he accept the product them? If you were in the importer's
> position, would you accept the product knowing that the abssence of
> the
> safety feature would got people killed and got you and your company
> into
> trouble?

If you bothered to READ you would have known the manufacturer finally
admitted to the fault only after being shown the evidence that they
collected. Before then the Chinese manufacturer repeatedly lied to
the importer when asked about the gum strip.

> > Why start a new thread on this topic?

> I had raised specific issues concerning the news. You are welcomed to
> address them if you wish.

Sent in to do damage control more like. Why can't you see the Chinese
company defrauded and lied and will face no consequences.

-Eric

Old June 26th 07, 08:55 PM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving

On Jun 26, 3:36 pm, Brontide > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 3:31 pm, " > wrote:

> > > Seems like a straight forward admission of guilt to me.

> > Are the importer dumb?
> > Why would he accept the product them? If you were in the importer's
> > position, would you accept the product knowing that the abssence of
> > the
> > safety feature would got people killed and got you and your company
> > into
> > trouble?

> If you bothered to READ you would have known the manufacturer finally
> admitted to the fault only after being shown the evidence that they
> collected.

As a matter of fact, I don't know what had been admitted by whom and
to whom and about what tires. As I had pointed out in my previous
post, the NYTimes reporters doesn't even bother to clarify the issue.
What does the document submitted by the importer to the court actualy
say? If you know, please inform.

> Before then the Chinese manufacturer repeatedly lied to
> the importer when asked about the gum strip.
>
> > > Why start a new thread on this topic?

> > I had raised specific issues concerning the news. You are welcomed to
> > address them if you wish.

> Sent in to do damage control more like. Why can't you see the Chinese
> company defrauded and lied and will face no consequences.

The above is nothing but your own speculation.

Old June 26th 07, 10:32 PM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving

On Jun 26, 12:55 pm, " > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 3:36 pm, Brontide > wrote:

> > > Are the importer dumb?
> > > Why would he accept the product them? If you were in the importer's
> > > position, would you accept the product knowing that the abssence of
> > > the
> > > safety feature would got people killed and got you and your company
> > > into
> > > trouble?

> > If you bothered to READ you would have known the manufacturer finally
> > admitted to the fault only after being shown the evidence that they
> > collected.

> As a matter of fact, I don't know what had been admitted by whom and
> to whom and about what tires. As I had pointed out in my previous
> post, the NYTimes reporters doesn't even bother to clarify the issue.
> What does the document submitted by the importer to the court actualy
> say? If you know, please inform.

All we know for sure at present is that the lawsuit contends that the
Chinese company admitted it. The courts will decide. But if it does
become clearer that the Chinese company did admit it, or more
importantly, knowingly lie about leaving out important safety
features, then I predict LT Lee will become suddenly silent on the
issue, or perhaps continue to argue disingenuously that it's all a
conspiracy against China.

Old June 27th 07, 12:25 AM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Chairman Mao says:

Of course they deny everything comrade ltlee, as a party cadre and PLA
operative I will report back to the Great Hall of the People that you're
doing a good job.

Keep up the good work

ups.com...

Old June 27th 07, 12:27 AM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Chairman Mao says:

Of course comrade, we will deny everything and it is the buyers fault they
didn't expect those tires completely.

The great CCP is not to blame, we have a 5000 year history and are still a
developing country.

So the fault is everyone else's?

ups.com...

Old June 27th 07, 12:37 AM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Chairman Mao says:

The Chinese never do anything wrong!

It is your fault, our great leader and Marxist system and 5000 year history
of the middle-kingdom is superior to yours. You are just jealous we will
defeat you and be the next super power in the world!

(I've actually been told this by drunks with to much Pi jiu)

ltlee, Chinese products, corruption, greed, cheating and other things are
starting to get public attention now. Cheap toys and tools that broke the
first time we used them didn't kill us. However, these things are now
making us sick and killing us.

People, will stop buying Chinese and you will have to find some tricky way
of marketing them with English names and hiding the origin of manufacturer.
It will hurt your fellow communist and their rich relatives the most.

How can the rich Chinese crooks buy more villa's, Mercedes-Beamers-Hummers,
send their kids abroad, have 3 or 4 mistresses and keep the peasants poor
and under control, if we stop buying your products?

Are you shocked I understand China this well?

ups.com...

Old June 27th 07, 12:51 AM posted to soc.culture.china,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving

On Jun 26, 7:37 pm, "Chairman Mao says:" > wrote:
> The Chinese never do anything wrong!
>
> It is your fault, our great leader and Marxist system and 5000 year history
> of the middle-kingdom is superior to yours. You are just jealous we will
> defeat you and be the next super power in the world!
>
> (I've actually been told this by drunks with to much Pi jiu)
>
> ltlee, Chinese products, corruption, greed, cheating and other things are
> starting to get public attention now. Cheap toys and tools that broke the
> first time we used them didn't kill us. However, these things are now
> making us sick and killing us.
>
> People, will stop buying Chinese and you will have to find some tricky way
> of marketing them with English names and hiding the origin of manufacturer.
> It will hurt your fellow communist and their rich relatives the most.
>
> How can the rich Chinese crooks buy more villa's, Mercedes-Beamers-Hummers,
> send their kids abroad, have 3 or 4 mistresses and keep the peasants poor
> and under control, if we stop buying your products?
>
> Are you shocked I understand China this well?

To tell the truth, I don't detect much understanding. The
above is not very logical. Sounds like you are repeating
other people's accusations randomly.

" ."

> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> As a matter of fact, I don't know what had been admitted by whom and
> >> to whom and about what tires. As I had pointed out in my previous
> >> post, the NYTimes reporters doesn't even bother to clarify the issue.
> >> What does the document submitted by the importer to the court actualy
> >> say? If you know, please inform.

> > All we know for sure at present is that the lawsuit contends that the
> > Chinese company admitted it. The courts will decide. But if it does
> > become clearer that the Chinese company did admit it, or more
> > importantly, knowingly lie about leaving out important safety
> > features, then I predict LT Lee will become suddenly silent on the
> > issue, or perhaps continue to argue disingenuously that it's all a
> > conspiracy against China.

> >> The above is nothing but your own speculation.

Chinese Tires Are Ordered Recalled [email protected] Technology 111 July 11th 07 06:26 AM
Chinese Tires Are Ordered Recalled [email protected] Driving 91 July 2nd 07 06:31 PM
starting defect [email protected] Jeep 1 June 16th 06 05:27 PM
Name that defect Dave C. Driving 14 September 26th 05 09:02 PM
04 Accord recalled Lowryter Honda 2 January 6th 05 11:23 PM