iRacing... help... must... resist!

Old August 8th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Default iRacing... help... must... resist!

Uve,

Hang in there bud. Once you get to the Class C Mazda and Silver Crown, the
tendancy to 'bore out' goes down considerably.

Your progression is exactly like mine was:

Solstice/Legends - Oh, please PLEASE let me out of these things!
Skippy/Late Model - Fun, but becomes a bit stagnant after a while.
Mazda/Silver Crown - Now we're talking! You are too busy in these cars to
get bored

Bear with it. Long before December you'll be singing a different tune

-Larry

e...

Old August 8th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> And finally... I've just noticed that the last race report (with the
> kicked out back end incident) shows no incidents reported. Maybe I got
> away with it after all. I certainly didn't the other day with the
> post-qualification prang though.

The incidents only show for the race laps. Warm up incidents and post
race incidents count against your SR but are not reported in the race
report.

Cheers
Tony
Old August 8th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> Oh bollox. I Skipped almost immediately... the buying process is very
> quick & easy, giving you no time to reconsider. That;s my excuse anyway
> and I;m sticking to it.

Resistance is futile...
Old August 8th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Ronald Stoehr wrote:

>>> I Skipped almost immediately...

>> Mmm... and now I'm only about 2s off the rookie Solstice pace at Lime
>> Rock. Lol!

> Hmm, slowly I'm beginning to suspect a perfectly designed marketing
> campaign...
> 'I don't like it!' 'Aah, it's slow!' 'Hmm, that's better!' 'Wow, iRAcing
> rocks!'
>
> Just kidding!

It is not an unusual progression. The iRacing forums have a number of
posts from first time racers who struggle to see how it is different to
any other form of pickup racing and the fact that sim racers who have
been driving the fastest cars competently are forced into a slow saloon
(which feels slower in a sim without any forces) can be a bit hard to
swallow.

Often it is these same unimpressed drivers who are the ones to then
extol its virtues as they move up to quicker cars and the ratings kick
in. The tricky bit is that it needs to be experienced to believe it - a
little like a teenager being told by an adult that too much beer will
make him ill

I think its tough marketing that - getting a driver to spend the seat
time and not dismiss it. I do wonder if there will opportunities to test
the faster cars free of charge when it moves beyond the sim enthusiasts.

Cheers
Tony
Old August 9th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

On Aug 8, 9:42*am, "Larry" > wrote:
> My understanding is that ONLY In-Class races count towards promotion.
>
> This is the section from the Rule Book:
>
> 2.4.3. Sessions must be completed by the driver in series with minimum
> license eligibility
> requirements that match the driver's current license level in a given
> category.
>
> ***** Sessions completed in series for which the driver is only eligible by
> virtue of a 4.0 or
> higher Safety Rating (see section 2.9.2, "racing up") will count toward the
> minimum
> participation requirements. Sessions completed in series with minimum
> license
> eligibility requirements below the driver's current license level (see
> section 2.9.3,
> "racing down") will not count. *****
>
> It appears this has been clarified a bit. *If you race UP, by virtue of
> having a 4.0 or higher SR, you DO get credit for those races.
>
> If you race DOWN, i.e. you are a Class C and decide to run some Late Model
> Races, those do NOT count.
>
> That is why you met the requirements. *You raced UP.
>
> Good for you
>
> -Larry
>
> "Ken MacKay" > wrote in message

> > Larry wrote:
> > *> One other thing, and a lot of people miss this. *For races/TT's to
> > count
> >> towards promotion, you must race IN-CLASS. *You can race up, and you can
> >> race down, but only IN-CLASS races/TT's will count towards promotion. *I
> >> think a few got bit by this the last cycle. *This is one part I do thing
> >> should be made clearer in da book.

> > Huh? *As a rookie with SR at 3.x the adv slowstice races and TT counted
> > towards SR, and as a rookie with 4.x SR the Skippy TT and races counted
> > towards SR. *And SR is the only thing that matters when it comes to
> > promotions. *It would really suck if you had to go back and do slowstice
> > races after earning a promotion.

They do count towards your safety rating, actually. But you still need
the minimum participation at 'current' (or by racing up) level to be
promoted at the end of the season.
Old August 9th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

On Aug 8, 9:57*am, "Larry" > wrote:
> A tip about the grass. *Below a certain speed, the off penalties will not
> appear so if you know you have to go off course, get your speed down.
>
> I don't remember if it's 30mph or 10 mph, but one of those will negate
> off-penalties.
>
> -Larry
>
> "Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
>
> dress_disguised...
>
> > (Don Schwartz Jr) wrote:

> >> I'd say you'll be over 4 very soon

> > Not if I repeat what happened yesterday during a push for 4. Racing with
> > some new rookies (all were faster than me, but a few were a lot more
> > inconsistent & dangerous) I had several deliberate grass excursions to
> > avoid trouble, and then a final lap T1 spin, leaving me face on into the
> > lapping traffic. My SR or blood pressure may never be the same again. :-)

> > Andrew McP

30mph.
Old August 9th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

Sage advice....

>On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 10:54:15 -0400, "Larry" > wrote:

>You guys are coming from SIMS like rFactor, GTR, GPL, etc... and being put
>into MUCH slower and ill-handling cars. That is where the issue is. You
>aren't used to it.
>
>We ALL had to suffer through this at least once. Just get yourself
>graduated out of the Solstice and Legends and things will change
>dramatically for you.
>
>Every soldier goes through Boot Camp
>
>-Larry

iRacing - weather? Byron Forbes Simulators 8 June 20th 08 06:25 AM
iRacing Who? [email protected] Simulators 62 August 10th 07 10:01 PM
iRacing what? _Mitch Simulators 4 August 1st 07 04:27 AM
New A4... must.. resist... Bram Audi 5 December 2nd 04 04:16 AM