4-speed tranny leaking

Old March 12th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
neildomo

Default 4-speed tranny leaking

I have a '72 Mach 1 which at some point in it's life had the
engine(and perhaps transmission) replaced with a 302. I noticed some
dripping under the car, so when I went under I saw drops of oil where
the driveshaft goes into the transmission. The oilpan seems to be dry
on the outside, so I suspect the transmission is leaking. I bought
some 80-90w oil and put almost a quart in the transmission before it
got full. Is this transmission worth fixing? It seems to work,
although it's a pain to get in and out of reverse. I don't really have
many tools beyond a socket set right now; and I'm assuming I'd need to
pull the engine to get the transmission out? Would I be better served
to try to find a used transmission and just swap them out?

One other thing, I noticed that when the engine revs up over 3000 I
hear a screeching sound. Below 3000rpm I don't notice it. Doesn't
matter what gear I'm in, it does it even with the clutch in. Could it
be just a belt? Water pump? Or something worse?

Thanks,
Neil

Old March 12th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, neildomo wrote:
> I have a '72 Mach 1 which at some point in it's life had the
> engine(and perhaps transmission) replaced with a 302. I noticed some
> dripping under the car, so when I went under I saw drops of oil where
> the driveshaft goes into the transmission.

Tailshaft seal. If it can be replaced from the outside of the trans it
will be a simple repair. If the trans has to be pulled, it's still pretty
easy to take care of.

> One other thing, I noticed that when the engine revs up over 3000 I
> hear a screeching sound. Below 3000rpm I don't notice it. Doesn't
> matter what gear I'm in, it does it even with the clutch in. Could it
> be just a belt? Water pump? Or something worse?

Where is it coming from? sounds like a bearing somewhere.

Old March 12th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
66StangMan[_2_]

"neildomo" wrote :
>I have a '72 Mach 1 which at some point in it's life had the
> engine(and perhaps transmission) replaced with a 302. I noticed some
> dripping under the car, so when I went under I saw drops of oil where
> the driveshaft goes into the transmission. The oilpan seems to be dry
> on the outside, so I suspect the transmission is leaking. I bought
> some 80-90w oil and put almost a quart in the transmission before it
> got full. Is this transmission worth fixing? It seems to work,
> although it's a pain to get in and out of reverse. I don't really have
> many tools beyond a socket set right now; and I'm assuming I'd need to
> pull the engine to get the transmission out? Would I be better served
> to try to find a used transmission and just swap them out?
>
> One other thing, I noticed that when the engine revs up over 3000 I
> hear a screeching sound. Below 3000rpm I don't notice it. Doesn't
> matter what gear I'm in, it does it even with the clutch in. Could it
> be just a belt? Water pump? Or something worse?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

Fixing the leak is easy. Just remove driveshaft, pop the leaking seal out
with a fairly large screwdriver and reinstall a new one, with a hammer.Then
reinstall the driveshaft. Depending on your mechanical ability, you should
be able to complete this in about a half hour or less.

The screeching noise you hear is a loose or worn fan belt.

66StangMan

02 Jetta 1.8 turbo: leaking transmission cooler--> needs new tranny? [email protected] VW water cooled 1 January 14th 07 05:45 AM
02 Jetta 1.8 turbo: leaking transmission cooler --> needs new tranny? [email protected] VW water cooled 4 January 11th 07 06:31 PM
5or6 speed tranny R G 4x4 0 January 30th 06 04:14 PM
___ Slipping guts out of a '91 3-speed tranny :-) 'Curly Q. Links' Chrysler 0 December 4th 05 05:11 AM
5-speed tranny whine-'03 TJ 4.0L Ken Knapp Jeep 7 February 6th 05 02:26 PM