Alfa GT stonechips

Old February 27th 05, 06:22 PM
Grahame

Default Alfa GT stonechips

Hi All,

I've been the happy owner of a Stromboli Grey Alfa GT 1.9 JTD since
September 04.

Over the past couple of months, I've noticed an alarming number of really
deep stone-chips on the front valance of the car (there must be about 20 or
so).

Most of these are quite deep and have gone through to the light colour
primer under the top coat. A few have even gone through to the black
plastic. I've only driven the car on tarmac roads and, although the roads
are gritted this time of year, I can't say I've ever been on a surface that
could have caused this type of damage.

I've never had a car that's had as much stone chip damage in such a short
period of time.

Could the paint be too soft? Or perhaps the soft plastic valance itself is
too soft? Have any other Alfa owners (especially GT) noticed a similar
problem?

I wonder if I would have a case to take the car in to the main dealer to
have a look at?

At this rate I'm going to have to get the whole from valance resprayed in
the summer!

All comments / advice gratefully received.

Grahame.

Old February 27th 05, 10:18 PM
Dom

> Over the past couple of months, I've noticed an alarming number of really
> deep stone-chips on the front valance of the car (there must be about 20

or
> so).

I know a few people with this complaint in the meet I go to monthly. It must
be the angle of the car bumper etc. or maybe it is the paint... who knows!
Get some paint dabber and cover them up .

Old February 28th 05, 08:05 AM
Ross

"Grahame" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I've been the happy owner of a Stromboli Grey Alfa GT 1.9 JTD since
> September 04.

Lucky you! :-)

> Over the past couple of months, I've noticed an alarming number of really
> deep stone-chips on the front valance of the car (there must be about 20

or
> so).

<SNIP>
> Could the paint be too soft? Or perhaps the soft plastic valance itself is
> too soft? Have any other Alfa owners (especially GT) noticed a similar
> problem?

The quality of the paint is my main disappointment with my 147, it seems
very poor. The front end is smothered in stone chips and has several small
marks on the sides where people have opened their doors onto my car in car
parks....and it always seems the paint comes off of my car rather than
theirs!

The colour is Rosso Alfa, and any deep stone chips stand out badly with the
grey primer showing through. Also, despite having the official Alfa body kit
fitted, there seems to be a growing difference in the shade of colour
between the bodywork and the bumpers, side skirts, and roof spoiler! When
the weather is better I'm planning to have a go with some t-cut and polish
and if that doesn't improve things to bring it up with my dealer in May when
it's due for the 3 year service.

Regards
Ross

Old February 28th 05, 03:30 PM
John, UK.

Grahame wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been the happy owner of a Stromboli Grey Alfa GT 1.9 JTD since
> September 04.

> Very nice.

> Over the past couple of months, I've noticed an alarming number of

really
> deep stone-chips on the front valance of the car (there must be about

20 or
> so).
>
> Most of these are quite deep and have gone through to the light

colour
> primer under the top coat. A few have even gone through to the black
> plastic. I've only driven the car on tarmac roads and, although the

roads
> are gritted this time of year, I can't say I've ever been on a

surface that
> could have caused this type of damage.

If it's the front valance, it can't be the condition or type of road
driven on.

> I've never had a car that's had as much stone chip damage in such a

short
> period of time.
>
> Could the paint be too soft? Or perhaps the soft plastic valance

itself is
> too soft? Have any other Alfa owners (especially GT) noticed a

similar
> problem?

The paint on all new cars is different to the paint which was sprayed
onto older cars, and Alfa will not use different paint for different
models. I did hear they are all using water based paints now at the
factories, how true that is I don't know.
The paint used now is easily marked by hand bags ect. But as for stone
chips, my 147 has none. My Brother has a dark blue 147 which easily
marks just washing it, then you have to use lots of pollish.

> I wonder if I would have a case to take the car in to the main dealer

> have a look at?

Not a chance, they, or any car manufacturer, would just laugh at you.

> At this rate I'm going to have to get the whole from valance

resprayed in
> the summer!

Looking that way.

> All comments / advice gratefully received.
>
> Grahame.

Hi Grahame,
I'm sorry to be so blunt, no affence intended but, lets think this one
out eh,
If you drive your car on an empty motorway for 200 miles,[no cars, we
should be so lucky] no stones are going to jump up from the road in
front and hit the front of your car.
The only way these stone chips happen is when we travel too close to
the vehicle in front. I know guys who travel close to the cars in
front, and you could pick their cars out in a full carpark, because of
the stone chipped fronts. If it is wet and you are driving behind other
vehicles look and see how far the spray comes back towards you before
dropping back onto the road, then think, if there is grit or small
stones in that water, they are going to hit your paint and chip it. As
I say I don't wish to affend, and only hope this can help you. Hope you
get your GT fixed up soon, they are a great looking car.
John, UK.

Old February 28th 05, 07:35 PM
Ross

"John, UK." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> The only way these stone chips happen is when we travel too close to
> the vehicle in front.

That's a fair point, John, but in my case I don't think I drive the Alfa
any differently to my previous car (Honda), and that was ok at the front, so
it's either just bad luck or the paint isn't of the same quality.....

Regards
Ross

Old February 28th 05, 07:52 PM
Grahame

"Ross" > wrote in message

> "John, UK." > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> The only way these stone chips happen is when we travel too close to
>> the vehicle in front.

> That's a fair point, John, but in my case I don't think I drive the Alfa
> any differently to my previous car (Honda), and that was ok at the front,
> so
> it's either just bad luck or the paint isn't of the same quality.....
>
> Regards
> Ross

Yes, John does make a fair point, but I have to agree with Ross on this one.

Before the GT I had a 156 for 3 years and didn't have the number of stone
chips on that after 3 years that I have on the GT after just 5 months.

I know I haven't changed my driving habits or my usual routes, so I can only
assume the difference is with the car / paint finish.

No offence taken though

Grahame.

Old February 28th 05, 07:56 PM
Tony Rickard

"Ross" wrote:

> > The only way these stone chips happen is when we travel too close to
> > the vehicle in front.

> That's a fair point, John, but in my case I don't think I drive the Alfa
> any differently to my previous car (Honda), and that was ok at the front,

so
> it's either just bad luck or the paint isn't of the same quality.....

On the basis the stones that hit your screen are probably on their way down,
avoiding bouncing stones by dropping far enough back would seem unlikely.
They only need to be off the ground bouncing aimlessly along for a couple of
seconds. Remember you hit them rather than the other way around...

Old March 3rd 05, 10:54 PM
Henk Hamminga

Hi everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a AR GT 1,9JTD Distinctive since june 2004. I've
driven 36.000 km and I have not experienced stone-chips, at least not the
amount you describe. No paint problems with me. Try to keep some distance!

Henk
The Netherlands

"Grahame" > schreef in bericht