Transportation Sec wants to ban all phone use in cars

Old October 11th 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime
N8N

Default Transportation Sec wants to ban all phone use in cars

On Oct 11, 12:36*am, Harry K > wrote:
> On Oct 10, 8:56*am, Nate Nagel > wrote:

> > > "control freak"? *How is pointing out that making a law againsst
> > > something is useless unless it can be enforced?

> > That's a valid point and I think one that we all agree on.

> > Brent's point, which I agree with, is that "banning" cell phone use is
> > difficult to enforce and will have less impact than simply enforcing the
> > laws that are already on the books (right of way, using mirrors/signals
> > etc.) that are NOT currently enforced would.

> True but without a law there is no way the stupid action that led to
> an action can be punished. *I am sure you have also seen the "was
> texting prior to impact" reports.

You're missing the point. Since existing laws aren't being enforced,
you want to pass a new law that is even more difficult to enforce than
the existing ones. What do you think, in the absence of any other
changes, the net result is going to be?

> > Would it be so hard to simply start ticketing people for driving like
> > asshats whether or not they are on the phone? *I don't really care if
> > the combusting rectum that just almost hit me was on the phone or not,
> > all I care about is that there are some consequences for his actions.
> > Unfortunately, about the only way to achieve this given the indifference
> > of the police is by driving an old International Travelall or similar
> > equipped with a front bumper salvaged from a tow truck while suffering
> > from temporary myopia. *(I've been tempted, believe me.)

> Something needs to be done about he problem. *What that is, I don't
> know but I do know the current methods are not working.
>
> As to the 'big bumper' bit. *Yep. *I grew up on a stump farm in Idaho
> up on a ridge with 7 miles of narrow 1 lane road. *Had a neighbor that
> would cut corners, not move over far enough, etc. *Then the old man
> got a different grain truck. *Bed had bolts holding the edge iron on
> and sticking out about an inch all the way around. * That thing got
> plenty of clearance .
>
> Harry K
>

> > > So you are for free use of anything in a vehicle?

> > So long as you can drive in a safe and legal manner, yes.

> > nate

> And therein lies the problem with CP use. *It has been proven that the
> average person cannot do it.

So then if the existing laws against driving poorly were actually
enforced, those people would get tickets, no?

nate