Bulk vs. Bottled oil at places like Jiffy Lube

Old August 27th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Default Bulk vs. Bottled oil at places like Jiffy Lube

N8N wrote:
> On Aug 26, 11:40 pm, "Ninja" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...
>>
>>> On Aug 23, 10:09 am, Steve > wrote:
>>> I totally agree with Nate about the fram filters on some six cyl
>>> engines. They are a *proven* disaster waiting to happen. I
>>> even tried one myself to see.. I had to yank it within one day.
>>> Trust me, I don't yank new filters, unless I have a good
>>> reason.. :/

>> I do trust you. My local parts store once had a display with cut-away Fram
>> and Wix filters side by side. The Wix must have had five times the surface
>> area of filter paper, if not ten.
>>
>> But I'm curious. . . You decided to yank the filter based on some observable
>> symptom? I was it doing?

> I can't speak for the previous poster, but in my case I noticed on two
> different 60's vintage A-bodies with the 225 slant six that the oil
> light would stay on for what I thought was an excessive period of time
> after startup - five seconds or so, accompanied by lifter rattling
> noises. Changing the filter to a Wix filter reduced that to about a
> second or so on both cars.
>
> nate

I had a 'bad' lifter rattle on start up in my straight 6 after an oil
change at the end of a hard 3000 mile run and thought I had engine
damage until I remembered I bought the 'on sale' filter that was a Fram.

Changed it and all the noise went away..

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old August 27th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Aug 27, 11:54 am, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "John S." > wrote:
>
> > I would not expect that Jiffy Lube or other large chain stores
> > would be playing bait and switch games with motor oil.

> You mean, like how Sears would sit cars out back, never touch them, then
> charge customers at the end of the day?
>
> Yeah, those big chain stores. They'd never **** with you. No sir.

At least around here, as of a couple years ago (last time I checked)
if you went to your local Sears for an oil change, there was actually
a Jiffy Lube franchise within the Sears Auto Center. don't know if
that's changed or not.

Only times I have knowingly taken my car to a Sears Auto Center was
one time where I needed an alignment Right Away (they did an OK job)
and another time when I was on the road and needed an alternator Right
Away (also did an OK job, but was silly expensive and their supplier
sent them the wrong alternator first time around, making me lose about
a day of travel)

nate

Old August 27th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
John S.

wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "John S." > wrote:
>
> > I would not expect that Jiffy Lube or other large chain stores
> > would be playing bait and switch games with motor oil.

> You mean, like how Sears would sit cars out back, never touch them, then
> charge customers at the end of the day?
>
> Yeah, those big chain stores. They'd never **** with you. No sir.

Can't tell you a thing about Sears, sorry. Bit it does sound like an
old story that's been repeated a lot. But I have seen a small
indpendent shop really screw up something as simple as reinstalling a
drain plug, so there are f...ups working everywhere. Fortunately they
are in the minority.

Old August 30th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

On Aug 26, 10:40 pm, "Ninja" > wrote:

> But I'm curious. . . You decided to yank the filter based on some observable
> symptom? I was it doing?

No oil pressure on startup for excessive amounts of time.
I changed the oil and a fram filter one day. On the first start
after the change, I thought it was ok..
But, the next day I started it and had no oil pressure.
And.. It wouldn't build up either.. I thought my oil pump
was out. I shut it off, and restarted, and it finally came up
to pressure after a few more seconds.
Yanked the filter, and replaced with a FL1A and never had
the problem again.
Orange fram filters and many six bangers don't play well
together.
MK

Bulk vs. Bottled oil at places like Jiffy Lube [email protected][_1_] Technology 38 August 30th 07 07:39 PM
Bulk vs. Bottled oil at places like Jiffy Lube [email protected][_1_] General 31 August 30th 07 05:05 PM
Like your Jiffy Lube? pws[_1_] Mazda 10 July 13th 07 02:52 AM
Beware of Jiffy Lube Coasty Jeep 23 May 29th 06 04:05 AM
JIFFY LUBE fu AGAIN BOB URZ Dodge 54 July 6th 04 04:34 AM