Probably gonna get an Odyssey...

Old February 12th 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

Default Probably gonna get an Odyssey...

"Woody" > wrote in message
. net...
> Before you harp all the praise on the jap cars look at the 2002 Odyssey
> problems on www.odyclub.com . With their transmission, EGR, IAC valve and
> other problems they are far worse than the problems you had on the
> Venture. The reliability is no better there.

I'm not buying an '02 Odyssey...

Old February 12th 07, 11:10 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Woody" > wrote in message
et...
> But he is comparing it to a 2002. The problems he had then are also fixed
> in the 07 GM cars. The 07 Odyssey hasn't been out long enough to say the
> problems are fixed....

I'm comparing it against an '02 GM only because that's the only GM I
currently have. None of my previous GMs have felt reliable at high mileage.
Meanwhile I've had 3 Hondas do well for me well past the 100K mark. My
current '01 Accord is one of the ones that were plagued by transmission
problems. I'm now at 175,000 miles with no problems with the tranny and the
only problems were a wheel bearing ($225 to replace at 130,000 miles) and
now I need my EGR serviced.

Old February 12th 07, 11:13 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Dano58" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 11, 8:01 pm, "Seth" > wrote:
>
>> I haven't driven the Odyssey yet, but my wife went and drove it Thursday.
>> Today we both tried out the Sienna. Very nice. My wife liked the drive
>> better than the Odyssey. But the Sienna, in the XLE level, only comes 7
>> passenger.

> We did the same thing. I could have lived with either one (we were
> going to buy whichever had the better deal) but I actually thought the
> Odyssey had a little firmer ride and handled a little better.
> Everything about the Sienna was so light-feeling. I like a little
> 'heft' and feeling in my controls. That, the 8-seating capability and
> an excellent lease deal had us buy thr Odyssey.

I haven't driven the Odyssey yet, but I was very impressed with the way the
'07 Sienna rode. My wife has driven both and thought the Sienna was a
little better. But the 8 passenger seating has her swaying towards the
Odyssey along with my Accords track record.

> Since you have an AWD van now, I'm assuming you live in the snow belt
> somewhere...? So, unless you're talking about the 4matic version of
> the Benz, I'd pass on the R350.

Yeah, 70 miles north of NYC and I work in Lyndhurst, NJ. On the MB, yes,
4Matic. But even if we were to get the Sienna, not going for the AWD. Just
gonna get a spare set of rims to through some snow tires on. Those 5 days a
year where AWD is required over FWD, she can stay home like I do.

Old February 12th 07, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Art" > wrote in message
k.net...
> We have a Odyssey 06 Touring model. Fine car though leather seats are a
> bit hard. Interior of Sienna reminded me of a Ford Taurus. Both are
> good cars. Read consumer reports review at library. For better handling
> get the Odyssey. For slightly softer ride get the Sienna. I would go
> with the better dealer if it was a toss up. Odyssey should be cheaper to
> take home feature for feature.

So far it is. The Sienna FWD, 7-pas XLE with the leather package is $31K
while a quote emailed to me earlier today has the 8-pas Odyssey EX-L at
27,989.

Wife likes the 8th seat in the Odyssey (as well as Honda's proven track
record with previous cars we've had) more than the electric tailgate (which
is included in the '07 Touring Odyssey).

Old February 13th 07, 02:41 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

Woody wrote:

> Before you harp all the praise on the jap cars look at the 2002 Odyssey
> problems on www.odyclub.com . With their transmission, EGR, IAC valve and
> other problems they are far worse than the problems you had on the Venture.
> The reliability is no better there.

Woody, would you please do this newsgroup a favor... SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

Once again, here's a reality check for you. Honda extended warranties
and/or issued recalls for many of those issues. If you look at long-term
reliability data in Consumer Reports or just about any other source, they
will say that Odyssey is still more reliable than any big 3 minivan.
Venture (since "replaced" by Upchucker, uh, I mean Uplander) is saddled with
a V6 that is prone to the expensive-to-fix intake manifold gasket problem
that GM still refuses to acknowledge. Ford and Crapsler minivans still have
higher rates of tranny failure than the Odyssey, and they never issued
recalls or extended warranties for them.

BTW, the OP is looking at a new Odyssey. The tranny issue was resolved by
the time it was redesigned for 2005.
Old February 13th 07, 07:59 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

The EX-L is easily the best deal in the Odyssey. I drive my elderly parents
around and I decided that I wanted power sliding doors for them (the right
decision) and rear hatches on vans get filthy fast so I wanted a power rear
door. For that you need the touring model. I regret not paying more and
gettting the rear view camera and navigation (my wife has navigation on her
accord and it is a pleasure). But the front and rear sensors are very
helpful.

Old February 13th 07, 01:57 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Thom

On Feb 13, 2:59 am, "Art" > wrote:
> The EX-L is easily the best deal in the Odyssey. I drive my elderly parents
> around and I decided that I wanted power sliding doors for them (the right
> decision) and rear hatches on vans get filthy fast so I wanted a power rear
> door. For that you need the touring model. I regret not paying more and
> gettting the rear view camera and navigation (my wife has navigation on her
> accord and it is a pleasure). But the front and rear sensors are very
> helpful.
>
> "Seth" > wrote in message

> > "Art" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >> We have a Odyssey 06 Touring model. Fine car though leather seats are a
> >> bit hard. Interior of Sienna reminded me of a Ford Taurus. Both are
> >> good cars. Read consumer reports review at library. For better handling
> >> get the Odyssey. For slightly softer ride get the Sienna. I would go
> >> with the better dealer if it was a toss up. Odyssey should be cheaper to
> >> take home feature for feature.

> > So far it is. The Sienna FWD, 7-pas XLE with the leather package is $31K
> > while a quote emailed to me earlier today has the 8-pas Odyssey EX-L at
> > 27,989.

> > Wife likes the 8th seat in the Odyssey (as well as Honda's proven track
> > record with previous cars we've had) more than the electric tailgate
> > (which is included in the '07 Touring Odyssey).- Hide quoted text -

Avoid the Mercedes. There reliability is horrible. Good tranny and
motor, but the electronics are straight out of the garbage.

Old February 13th 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Robert[_4_]

Wow, tough choices --

I'm not much of a fan of the Sienna, but it's not a bad car. The
Mercedes is VERY nice and is a really cool car, but their reliability
can't match the Toyota or the Honda. But as Seth put it above, it
should last for 27 months. Keep in mind though, this means you'll have
to buy another car in a little over two years, so if you're in this
for the long run, the Mercedes probably wouldn't be your best choice.

Overall, I'd take the Honda. I find it more comfortable, it's larger,
and it'll fit eight passengers. That should be a good plus for your
wife, especially if you have kids. Plus, it sounds like it's cheaper.

Good luck! Overall, any of the three you choose will serve you well,
it's just down to details now...

Old February 14th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

Well, what's done is done!

Got some Internet pricing from other dealers and went to my dealer (bringing
the wife and kids) so I could actually drive it and the kids could sit in it
(not that they were going to be part of the decision making).

He came down to $28,150 and $5000 on my trade-in for a net of $23,150. The
number I had in my head going in was 23,500, so I'm pleased. Going rate for
my old van on eBay is $4000 to $5600, we had high mileage. Now I don't have
to spend $100 having it detailed prior to auction, don't have to pay eBay
fees and I pay less sales tax (8.25%) on my new vehicle as here in NY they
only tax the net.

We're now a dual-Honda family.

Old February 14th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Seth" > wrote:
>
>> Wife likes the 8th seat in the Odyssey (as well as Honda's proven track
>> record with previous cars we've had) more than the electric tailgate
>> (which
>> is included in the '07 Touring Odyssey).

> I want an electric tailgate, but I absolutely WILL NOT suffer with
> run-flat tires--which is all the US Touring model is equipped with.

Because of the high cost of tire replacement? Or some other reason?