GTR online problem

Old November 8th 04, 12:44 PM
Karsten Borchers

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:54:29 +0100, Karsten Borchers wrote:
> > Its there, just well hidden (top left)
> > http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/
> >

> Thanks Carsten! I posted my problem there a couple of days ago, no
> reply as of yet 8(
>
> Cheers,
>
> uwe

Probably in the dark on that one?
It is a very odd problem. I have never seen or heard of anything like it.

/ Borchers

Old November 8th 04, 12:55 PM
Remco Moedt

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:24:13 +0100, Uwe =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?=
> wrote:

>On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:54:29 +0100, Karsten Borchers wrote:
>> Its there, just well hidden (top left)
>> http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/
>>

>Thanks Carsten! I posted my problem there a couple of days ago, no
>reply as of yet 8(

I'm sure you already checked it, but here goes anyways..

Does the NIC share an IRQ with either graphics/sound/USB/gameport?

Cheers!

Remco

Old November 8th 04, 06:39 PM
Andreas Wilke

hey Uwe,

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:54:29 +0100, Karsten Borchers wrote:
>
>>Its there, just well hidden (top left)
>>http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/

> Thanks Carsten! I posted my problem there a couple of days ago, no
> reply as of yet 8(

i only know 1 guy as of know whos got the same problems
(he has W XP, so not W98 related).

Unfortunately no solution so far :-(

Andreas
Old November 8th 04, 07:23 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:39:54 +0100, Andreas Wilke wrote:
> hey Uwe,
>
> Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:54:29 +0100, Karsten Borchers wrote:
>>
>>>Its there, just well hidden (top left)
>>>http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/

>> Thanks Carsten! I posted my problem there a couple of days ago, no
>> reply as of yet 8(

> i only know 1 guy as of know whos got the same problems
> (he has W XP, so not W98 related).
>
> Unfortunately no solution so far :-(
>
> Andreas

Hi Andy,

at least I am not alone on this one, I though I was going mad or
something ;-) I've begun fiddling with the settings in the
"multiplayer" section of my PLR file, I'll get back to the group when
/ if I find anything.

Any idea what kind of hardware is involved in his case? My gaming
machine lives behind a Gentoo Linux NAT gateway.

Cheers & thanks again for your help,

uwe

--
mail replies to Uwe at schuerkamp dot de ( yahoo address is spambox)
Uwe Schuerkamp //////////////////////////// http://www.schuerkamp.de/
Old November 8th 04, 07:24 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:55:09 GMT, Remco Moedt wrote:

> I'm sure you already checked it, but here goes anyways..
>

> Does the NIC share an IRQ with either graphics/sound/USB/gameport?

I hadn't but now I have: all components are on separate IRQ's, except
for the dual fifo pci ide controller. Thanks for your help, Remco.

uwe

Old November 8th 04, 09:43 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

Hi folks,

I think I solved my GTR online "twitchiness" by adding the ports
needed to host gtr races to my Linux firewall ruleset. I have no idea why
this should be necessary, but for now the twitchiness seems seems to
be gone completely.

Thanks again to all who tried to help, esp. Andi Wilke for letting me
know the problem was *not* related to running win98se ;-)

All the best & see you on the track,

uwe

Old November 8th 04, 10:20 PM
Dave Henrie

Uwe =?iso-8859-15?Q?Sch=FCrkamp?= > wrote in
:

> Hi folks,
>
> I think I solved my GTR online "twitchiness" by adding the ports
> needed to host gtr races to my Linux firewall ruleset. I have no idea why
> this should be necessary, but for now the twitchiness seems seems to
> be gone completely.

> uwe

Good to know I think. It seems everytime I mess with my router, I just
end up loosing the net connection. Someday I'm gonna have to actually
learn all that stuff..
dh
Old November 8th 04, 10:47 PM
Andreas Wilke

Hi,

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> I think I solved my GTR online "twitchiness" by adding the ports
> needed to host gtr races to my Linux firewall ruleset. I have no idea why
> this should be necessary, but for now the twitchiness seems seems to
> be gone completely.
>
> Thanks again to all who tried to help, esp. Andi Wilke for letting me
> know the problem was *not* related to running win98se ;-)

this guy has this PC:

Intel Pentium IV Prescott Prozessor 3,2GHz mit Hyperthreading, 1MB Cache
MSI Motherboard mit Intel 865PE-Chipset
Arbeitsspeicher 1024 MB DDR 400MHz fsb
Festplatte Maxtor 160GB mit 7200rpm, 8MB
Grafikkarte Leadtek Winfast A400 Ultra TDH GF FX6800U 256MB
DVD- Laufwerk 16x/48x und 3,5“ Diskettenlaufwerk
8x DVD Multi Brenner LG-4082B-R (+/-)
Soundkarte Audigy 2ZS,7.1, THX, 24bit Musik
10/100 Mbit LAN integriert
Midi Tower mit Seitenlüfter und 400 Watt Netzteil
6x USB 2.0, 2x Front-USB, 2 serielle und 1 parallele Schnittstelle
inkl. Microsoft Windows XP Home, Spielepaket, DVD-Player-&Brennersoftware
inkl. Komfort-Tastatur und Logitech Opticle Wheel Mouse

Uwe, did u test again, if that firewall really solved the problem?

Ill tell him to deinstall his Firewall completely then.

Andy
Old November 9th 04, 06:59 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:47:02 +0100, Andreas Wilke wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Uwe Schürkamp wrote:

> Uwe, did u test again, if that firewall really solved the problem?
>
> Ill tell him to deinstall his Firewall completely then.

Maybe he could first turn it off and give it a try. I haven't verified
the "solution" yet by removing the rules again, but I'll give it a go
tonight.

Cheers & thanks again,

uwe

Old November 10th 04, 02:06 AM
Jone Tytlandsvik

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think I solved my GTR online "twitchiness" by adding the ports
> needed to host gtr races to my Linux firewall ruleset. I have no idea
> why this should be necessary, but for now the twitchiness seems seems
> be gone completely.

GTR might have online code similar to LFS. If you open up the correct port
for LFS (and tell LFS you did so) the packets will be sendt directly to you
instead of being relayed by the server. This will off course reduce lag but
it requires a decent upstream as you will be sending identical packets to
all the other cars instead of just one to the server. Maybe GTR took it one
step further and tried to autodetect weither you was behind a firewall or
not?
Just a wild guess....

There are 3 modes in LFS:
1. I'm behind a firewall and my upstream is slow so I will only send to the
server.
2 I'm behind a firewall but I will send to all other cars.
3 I can receive from all other cars and will send to all other cars.

All drivers should be at 3 for the best racing experiance.
I don't know if other racing sims do this, but it sounds like a brilliant
idea to me.
Went a bit OT
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=41440

--