California Considers Electronic License Plate Ads

Old June 22nd 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Default California Considers Electronic License Plate Ads

Advertisements would display only after vehicles were stopped for four
seconds and could also be used to display public safety information
such as Amber alerts.

By Antone Gonsalves
InformationWeek
June 22, 2010 08:00 AM

Facing billions of dollars in red ink, California may consider showing
ads through electronic license plates as a way to generate badly
needed revenue.

The idea is contained in a bill that passed out the state Senate on
May 28 and is now before the Legislature. The proposal by Democratic
state Sen. Curren D. Price Jr. of Los Angeles would give the
California Department of Motor Vehicles the authority to investigate
the emerging "digital electronic license plate" technology.

Startup City TV went to Austin, TX to speak with startups. John Foley,
editor at InformationWeek, spoke with Scott Abel, CEO of Spiceworks.
Spiceworks offers free IT management software using an ad-supported
model.

The bill authorizes the DMV to partner with technology companies for
the purpose of "researching, developing and implementing new
technology." Any trials would have to be done at no cost to the state.
Following "real world" trials of DELP technology, the DMV would report
back to the Legislature on potential cost saving and revenue
generation.

Price said the bill, which would have to be passed by the Legislature
and signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenneger in order to become law, was
an attempt to think outside the box to help reduce the state's $19
billion budget deficit.

"State governments are facing unprecedented budget shortfalls, and are
actively rethinking the use of existing state assets to create new
ongoing revenue opportunities," Price said in a statement.

To avoid being a distraction to motorists, the plates would only start
showing ads after a vehicle was stopped for four seconds, such as at a
red light or traffic jam, according to media reports. The vehicle's
license plate number would always be in view.

Besides advertising, the plates could also be used to provide traffic
and public safety information, such as Amber alerts. The latter are
urgent bulletins of reported child abductions that are broadcast in
partnership with law-enforcement agencies, the media and
transportation agencies.

Smart Plate Technologies is one company developing electronic license
plates. The San Francisco company is not yet selling the technology.
-----

- gpsman
Old June 22nd 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
T.J. Higgins

In article >, gpsman wrote:
>Advertisements would display only after vehicles were stopped for four
>seconds and could also be used to display public safety information
>such as Amber alerts.

Many if not all states ban electronic displays on the backs
of vehicles, regardless of whether the vehicle is in motion.
Will be interesting to see how they twist the law to allow
electronic plates but not other electronic displays.

--
TJH

tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Old June 22nd 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-06-22, T.J. Higgins > wrote:
> In article >, gpsman wrote:
>>Advertisements would display only after vehicles were stopped for four
>>seconds and could also be used to display public safety information
>>such as Amber alerts.

> Many if not all states ban electronic displays on the backs
> of vehicles, regardless of whether the vehicle is in motion.
> Will be interesting to see how they twist the law to allow
> electronic plates but not other electronic displays.

The USA has long passed the point where law restricted government. All
they need to do is what they do for everything else, write themselves an
exception where the same thing done by a private person is illegal but
legal when the government does it.

Old June 22nd 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
lil abner[_2_]

gpsman wrote:
> Advertisements would display only after vehicles were stopped for four
> seconds and could also be used to display public safety information
> such as Amber alerts.
>
> By Antone Gonsalves
> InformationWeek
> June 22, 2010 08:00 AM
>
> Facing billions of dollars in red ink, California may consider showing
> ads through electronic license plates as a way to generate badly
> needed revenue.
>
> The idea is contained in a bill that passed out the state Senate on
> May 28 and is now before the Legislature. The proposal by Democratic
> state Sen. Curren D. Price Jr. of Los Angeles would give the
> California Department of Motor Vehicles the authority to investigate
> the emerging "digital electronic license plate" technology.
>
> Startup City TV went to Austin, TX to speak with startups. John Foley,
> editor at InformationWeek, spoke with Scott Abel, CEO of Spiceworks.
> Spiceworks offers free IT management software using an ad-supported
> model.
>
> The bill authorizes the DMV to partner with technology companies for
> the purpose of "researching, developing and implementing new
> technology." Any trials would have to be done at no cost to the state.
> Following "real world" trials of DELP technology, the DMV would report
> back to the Legislature on potential cost saving and revenue
> generation.
>
> Price said the bill, which would have to be passed by the Legislature
> and signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenneger in order to become law, was
> an attempt to think outside the box to help reduce the state's $19
> billion budget deficit.
>
> "State governments are facing unprecedented budget shortfalls, and are
> actively rethinking the use of existing state assets to create new
> ongoing revenue opportunities," Price said in a statement.
>
> To avoid being a distraction to motorists, the plates would only start
> showing ads after a vehicle was stopped for four seconds, such as at a
> red light or traffic jam, according to media reports. The vehicle's
> license plate number would always be in view.
>
> Besides advertising, the plates could also be used to provide traffic
> and public safety information, such as Amber alerts. The latter are
> urgent bulletins of reported child abductions that are broadcast in
> partnership with law-enforcement agencies, the media and
> transportation agencies.
>
> Smart Plate Technologies is one company developing electronic license
> plates. The San Francisco company is not yet selling the technology.
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=225700916
> -----
>
> - gpsman

I thought the role of OUR governments was to serve us not big business.
They created the tax shortfall by listening to their Developer friends
that wanted infrastructure and the jobs to build it. They will benefit
the ?Ctizens by providing a lot more 7.50 hour 20 hours a week jobs.
Old June 23rd 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 06/22/10 07:00, T.J. Higgins wrote:

> In >, gpsman wrote:
>>Advertisements would display only after vehicles were stopped for four
>>seconds and could also be used to display public safety information
>>such as Amber alerts.

> Many if not all states ban electronic displays on the backs
> of vehicles, regardless of whether the vehicle is in motion.
> Will be interesting to see how they twist the law to allow
> electronic plates but not other electronic displays.

I can't imagine what sort of useful 7-character Amber alert message might be
displayed on a license plate. OTOH, perhaps we can control the message
displayed on our own license plates. I can think of a useful 7-letter message...

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++
Old June 23rd 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:00:22 -0500, T.J. Higgins > wrote:
>In article >, gpsman wrote:
>>Advertisements would display only after vehicles were stopped for four
>>seconds and could also be used to display public safety information
>>such as Amber alerts.

>Many if not all states ban electronic displays on the backs
>of vehicles, regardless of whether the vehicle is in motion.
>Will be interesting to see how they twist the law to allow
>electronic plates but not other electronic displays.

All that technology, and they can't figure out how to have emergency
vehicles warn other motor vehicles except with 170db sirens. RF?
What's that?

Old June 27th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Jun 22, 8:32*pm, AZ Nomad > wrote:

> All that technology, and they can't figure out how to have emergency
> vehicles warn other motor vehicles except with 170db sirens. *RF?
> What's that?

And very few of the vehicles have warning ssystems that do a good job
of letting the other divers know there they are, as the European one
do.

Old June 28th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White[_2_]

Talk aboput an idea that sucks. I already don't like having to dispaly cusey
tag lines on my plates (like "First in Flight" or "First in Freedom."
Turning my car into a billboard so the state can earn money is BS.

I go to a lot of college sporting events. I am tired of all the ads they
post around the areans, on the floor, on the scorebord, in the lobby, etc.,
etc.. I often jokes with people that the next step is for the "authorities"
to issue advertising T-shirts to everyone attending the sporting events that
they must wear if they want to attend. This idea of electronic licence
plates is one stept towards that sort of BS. How long before you see road
signs with captions like - "This speed limit sponsored by Cisco the company
that let you break the internet speed limits." Or "This on ramp is sponsored
by IBM, your on ramp to the future." Arnolds got a big head, maybe
California can sell advertising space on it....

Ed

Old June 28th 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in
diainc:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> On 06/27/10 19:20, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
>>
>>> I see these being hacked to display alternate messages within hours of
>>> implementation.

I posted that here weeks ago,when the technology was first mentioned here.
(not about "within hours",though..)
I suspect it will a bit longer that that for them to crack the SW.

>> There will probably be heavy penalties for doing so.

OOH,like that is going to stop them...
there are "heavy penalties" for murder,but it doesn't stop murders.

>> Just one more form
>> of revenue enhancement.

and loss of freedoms.

> But what if its your plate that the hackers mod?

Plead vandalism.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 28th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"C. E. White" > wrote in
:

> [...]
>> are actively rethinking the use of existing state assets to create
>> new ongoing revenue opportunities," Price said in a statement.
>>
>> To avoid being a distraction to motorists, the plates would only
>> start showing ads after a vehicle was stopped for four seconds, such
>> as at a red light or traffic jam, according to media reports. The
>> vehicle's license plate number would always be in view.
>>
>> Besides advertising, the plates could also be used to provide traffic
>> and public safety information, such as Amber alerts. The latter are
>> urgent bulletins of reported child abductions that are broadcast in
>> partnership with law-enforcement agencies, the media and
>> transportation agencies.
>>
>> Smart Plate Technologies is one company developing electronic license
>> plates. The San Francisco company is not yet selling the technology.

another idiot top-poster.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik