Why Not Let Honda Et Al. Take Over GM?

Old December 10th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_4_]

Default Why Not Let Honda Et Al. Take Over GM?

siskuwihane wrote

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...1179.htmRead-o, update and clarification. The above cited 2005article said the UAW and the Big 3 could re-negotiate thejob bank in 2007. The Nov 2008 article linked below saysthat today "there are about 1,000 union members in jobsbanks, which means that it's 'almost gone' compared to the12k of about three years ago" blah blah.http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/uaw...s-almost-gone/

Old December 10th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
AJL

"Dave D" > wrote:

>I heard it said that current union wages paid by the U.S. companies
>is around $78/hour compared to Honda, Toyota etc.

Just off the press:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/10/bu...ef=todayspaper

Old December 10th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle[_4_]

"AJL" > wrote
> Just off the press:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/10/bu...ef=todayspaper

I just read this. The comments section is full of a lot of
unawareness, like the cost to taxpayers (via pensions and
unemployment insurance) if there is not some kind of
bailout.

Old December 10th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Greg Campbell[_2_]

Elle wrote:

> Good post. Of course it is disgusting. So are CEO salaries.
> But I do not think being "****ed off" does anything to help
> decide among the remaining logical choices. The union and
> the corporations made a deal. It is a legal fact that can be
> undone only in certain ways. I want to deal in facts, not
> emotion. So I think for one this job bank could be used as a
> huge negotiating chip. Government says: You want a bailout?
> Then union, no more job bank.

Eliminating Job Banks and other random atrocities is a step, but not
nearly enough.

Let's take this to the next level!
Mr. Auto Maker, "You want a bailout? Fire every manager making 150K or
more." Like a roach infestation, groupthink and ineptitude of this
magnitude, once entrenched, can never be fully undone. Comprehensive
ex-term-in-a-tion (Say it like a Dalek!) is the only way. Upper
management forfeits all severance and recently accumulated perks. If it
is possible to retroactively sue these idiots, do it. (Pass laws
encouraging a shareholder lawsuit?) If my tax dollars are being spent to
fix their ****up, I want my pound of flesh!

Mr. UAW worker, "You want a bailout? Quit the union and be ready to
actually WORK for a living, like the rest of us do."

UAW, "See ya!" Liquidate all holdings, splitting the assets between the
manufacturers and low income workers.

In short, dismantle the whole stinking pile of poo and start over.
Hire experienced Honda/Toyota execs to administer reorganization.

> I still would prefer making a sweetened deal with Honda and
> Toyota et al. The gov could even say, "Detroit's Big 3 are
> going under. Honda, Toyota, et al.: Market forces say you
> will have to make up the demand. Here is a loan to build
> more factories in the U.S."

That sounds pretty good too. Don't forget the firing squad for the old,
fat, white guys flying around in corporate jets.

Old December 12th 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
News

Elle wrote:

>>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/10/bu...ef=todayspaper

> I just read this. The comments section is full of a lot of
> unawareness, like the cost to taxpayers (via pensions and
> unemployment insurance) if there is not some kind of
> bailout.

So, how's your 'put' deal going? Circle the money yet?

Still holding your breath? You're looking a little blue.