ESP and fuel efficiency

Old February 4th 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default ESP and fuel efficiency

i know this sounds crazy, but it there any chance that driving with
the ESP engaged reduces fuel efficiency?

my fuel numbers are down since we've had ice and snow and i've been
more apt to drive with ESP engaged.

am i just seeing things? or is this possible?

Old February 4th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

> wrote
>i know this sounds crazy, but it there any chance that driving with
> the ESP engaged reduces fuel efficiency?
>
> my fuel numbers are down since we've had ice and snow and i've been
> more apt to drive with ESP engaged.
>
> am i just seeing things? or is this possible?

I don't see a connection. Is it possible that the reduced mpg you're
observing has to do with overall lower ambient temps (engine takes
longer to warm up, and until it does, it is less efficient) and/or the
use of winter gas?

Also, what do you mean by "i've been more apt to drive with ESP
engaged"? The ESP is engaged by default and requires you to push the
button to defeat it (and when it is defeated, an icon will light up on
your dashboard). Are you saying that when there is no ice and snow, you
press that ESP button every time you start the car? Just curious. I
used to shut mine off most of the time too, as I felt the ESP was
bogging the car down in 1st gear in my b5 a4 1.8tq.

Pete

Old February 4th 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On 4 Feb 2007 11:35:36 -0800, "
> wrote:

>i know this sounds crazy, but it there any chance that driving with
>the ESP engaged reduces fuel efficiency?
>
>my fuel numbers are down since we've had ice and snow and i've been
>more apt to drive with ESP engaged.
>
>am i just seeing things? or is this possible?

No doubt you're seeing lower mileage, but I really doubt it has anything to do
with the car per se. Cold weather increases energy losses from heating up the
block to stiffer tranny and differential lubes. And, depending on where you
are located, fuel blends may be modified for emissions reasons (eg: alcohol
added as an oxygenator) during winter, which will definitely cut your mileage.

I notice roughly a 2 mpg hit during winter vs summer (and on the same S03
tires - I have other vehicles for snowy roadways). And my car doesn't even
have ESP (that showed up on '01 production S4s)...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old February 5th 07, 01:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On 4 Feb 2007 11:35:36 -0800, "
> wrote:

>i know this sounds crazy, but it there any chance that driving with
>the ESP engaged reduces fuel efficiency?

You should be driving with esp as a default, i.e. it is always on and
requires you to physically press a button to turn it off. With it
off, you will experience wheel spin in slippery conditions.

I just returned last Sunday from a winter driving school (Tim
O'Neal's) in NH that I gave for Christmas to all my kids, their
husbands, and my grandchildren with drivers' licenses. If I drove my
RS6 with the ESP engaged, it wasn't much fun, and I found it difficult
to get it loose. I made all my runs on the three different exercises
with it off. I was quicker with it on, but the idea of the school was
to hang out the car, lose control (either understeer or oversteer),
and regain it. My son's-in-law Audi 4.2 and my grandson's S4 did not
have ESP. My wife's Lesux has it, but you couldn't turn it off. No
one wanted to drive the Lexus. d;o)

Gas mileage? Mine is always a little less in the cold months,
probably because it takes longer for the engine to warm to efficient
operating temps.

Dave

Old February 5th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

"Dave LaCourse" wrote
> My wife's Lesux

LOL! Haven't heard that one before.

Pete

Old February 5th 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 21:25:59 -0500, "Pete" >
wrote:

>LOL! Haven't heard that one before.

d;o) Typo, but it truly does sux if you're trying to get it loose.

Old February 5th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Anneke.A

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> i know this sounds crazy, but it there any chance that driving with
> the ESP engaged reduces fuel efficiency?
>
> my fuel numbers are down since we've had ice and snow and i've been
> more apt to drive with ESP engaged.
>
> am i just seeing things? or is this possible?

If ESP brakes it costs fuel. Thats what you're asking? Only of you keep
speed momentum because of higher engine torque.

A.

Old February 5th 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Feb 4, 2:49 pm, "Pete" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> >i know this sounds crazy, but it there any chance that driving with
> > the ESP engaged reduces fuel efficiency?

> > my fuel numbers are down since we've had ice and snow and i've been
> > more apt to drive with ESP engaged.

> > am i just seeing things? or is this possible?

> I don't see a connection. Is it possible that the reduced mpg you're
> observing has to do with overall lower ambient temps (engine takes
> longer to warm up, and until it does, it is less efficient) and/or the
> use of winter gas?
>
> Also, what do you mean by "i've been more apt to drive with ESP
> engaged"? The ESP is engaged by default and requires you to push the
> button to defeat it (and when it is defeated, an icon will light up on
> your dashboard). Are you saying that when there is no ice and snow, you
> press that ESP button every time you start the car? Just curious. I
> used to shut mine off most of the time too, as I felt the ESP was
> bogging the car down in 1st gear in my b5 a4 1.8tq.
>
> Pete

holy crap. i am an idiot. i have been assuming that i needed to turn
it on by pressing the button. so you're saying i've been turning it
off when the icon comes up on the dashboard?

i guess i should have read the owners manual more thoroughly.

ok, so now the question is: is it possible to get lower mileage by
turning the ESP off? :-)

Old February 5th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On 5 Feb 2007 14:34:03 -0800, "
> wrote:

>holy crap. i am an idiot. i have been assuming that i needed to turn
>it on by pressing the button. so you're saying i've been turning it
>off when the icon comes up on the dashboard?
>
>i guess i should have read the owners manual more thoroughly.
>
>ok, so now the question is: is it possible to get lower mileage by
>turning the ESP off? :-)

Get in your car. Turn it on. Drive. Stop worrying about 2 mpg
change in the winter time. It's the cold. Of course, you could put
it in Georgia overdrive on hills. d;o)

Dave

Old February 6th 07, 03:13 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_2_]

> wrote
> so you're saying i've been turning it
> off when the icon comes up on the dashboard?

Yup.

Pete