QUESTION: What is this discoloration on the rubber trim??

Old May 19th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
BD[_1_]

Default QUESTION: What is this discoloration on the rubber trim??

Hi all.

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.

I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that
surrounds my windshield on the outside.

It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like sal****er might stain
something. But it's not coming out easily.

Is this maybe sun damage? Anything I can do about this?

Here's a pic (60kB)

http://members.shaw.ca/robertrd/trim.jpg

Thanks for any tips.

Cheers,

BD

Old May 19th 07, 03:06 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
David

On 18 May 2007 16:32:33 -0700, BD > wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.
>
>I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that
>surrounds my windshield on the outside.
>
>It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like sal****er might stain
>something. But it's not coming out easily.
>
>Is this maybe sun damage? Anything I can do about this?
>
>Here's a pic (60kB)
>
>http://members.shaw.ca/robertrd/trim.jpg
>
>Thanks for any tips.
>
>Cheers,
>
>BD

Looks like silicate particles in the airflow are etching the rubber
and leaving some behind. Armor All?
Old May 19th 07, 04:17 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Noozer

>>I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.
>>
>>I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that
>>surrounds my windshield on the outside.
>>
>>It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like sal****er might stain
>>something. But it's not coming out easily.

> Looks like silicate particles in the airflow are etching the rubber
> and leaving some behind. Armor All?

Would brake fluid help clear this kind of wear?

Old May 19th 07, 04:32 AM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

BD wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.
>
> I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that
> surrounds my windshield on the outside.
>
> It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like sal****er might stain
> something. But it's not coming out easily.
>
> Is this maybe sun damage? Anything I can do about this?
>
> Here's a pic (60kB)
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/robertrd/trim.jpg
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Cheers,
>
> BD

doesn't seem too severe - possibly wax?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old May 19th 07, 01:36 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2007 02:06:24 GMT, David > wrote:
>

>>Looks like silicate particles in the airflow are etching the rubber
>>and leaving some behind. Armor All?

> I've had good results with Armor All on black plastic trim. However,
> Mother's has a product called "Back to Black", which I like a lot
> better. Back to Black is like a thick Armor All.

Yeah, I feel Armor All and Son-of-a-Gun are not as good as 303 Protectant.

example;http://tinyurl.com/2cus9b

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old May 19th 07, 01:51 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

> On 18 May 2007 16:32:33 -0700, BD > wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.
>>
>> I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that
>> surrounds my windshield on the outside.
>>
>> It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like sal****er might stain
>> something. But it's not coming out easily.
>>
>> Is this maybe sun damage? Anything I can do about this?
>>
>> Here's a pic (60kB)
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/robertrd/trim.jpg
>>
>> Thanks for any tips.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> BD

You will find that on a LOT of vehicles. It is the result of UV
degradation of the vinyl compounds they use to make the trim. If you
want to remove it easily, buy some 00 STAINLESS STEEL wool and GENTLY
scrub the trim. Then use some 303 protectant on it.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old May 19th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
BD[_1_]

On May 19, 5:51 am, "Steve W." > wrote:
> > On 18 May 2007 16:32:33 -0700, BD > wrote:

> >> Hi all.

> >> I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.

> >> I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that
> >> surrounds my windshield on the outside.

> >> It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like sal****er might stain
> >> something. But it's not coming out easily.

> >> Is this maybe sun damage? Anything I can do about this?

> >> Here's a pic (60kB)

> >>http://members.shaw.ca/robertrd/trim.jpg

> >> Thanks for any tips.

> >> Cheers,

> >> BD

> You will find that on a LOT of vehicles. It is the result of UV
> degradation of the vinyl compounds they use to make the trim. If you
> want to remove it easily, buy some 00 STAINLESS STEEL wool and GENTLY
> scrub the trim. Then use some 303 protectant on it.
>
> --
> Steve W.
> Near Cooperstown, New York
> NRA Member
> Pacifism - The theory that if they'd fed
> Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh,
> he'd have become a vegan.

Thanks, I will do. I have some 00 Bulldog wool I used for cleaning
water stains off the outside mirrors.

Hadn't heard of 303 protectant, but I'll give that a go.

Cheers,

BD

Old May 19th 07, 05:23 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
cavedweller

On May 18, 11:17 pm, "Noozer" > wrote:
> >>I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.

> >>I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that
> >>surrounds my windshield on the outside.

> >>It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like sal****er might stain
> >>something. But it's not coming out easily.

> > Looks like silicate particles in the airflow are etching the rubber
> > and leaving some behind. Armor All?

> Would brake fluid help clear this kind of wear?

Are you really suggesting he use brake fluid or is this some kind of
dirty trick?

Old May 19th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
Noozer

>> Would brake fluid help clear this kind of wear?
>
> Are you really suggesting he use brake fluid or is this some kind of
> dirty trick?

Brake fluid is supposed to be great for renewing rubber. You DO have to be
CAREFUL to avoid getting it on painted surfaces.

Old May 20th 07, 01:45 PM posted to alt.autos.subaru,rec.autos.tech
QX

On Sat, 19 May 2007 08:51:54 -0400, "Steve W." >
wrote:

>> On 18 May 2007 16:32:33 -0700, BD > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> I have a 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon.
>>>
>>> I recently noticed some discoloration along the rubber trim that
>>> surrounds my windshield on the outside.
>>>
>>> It's kind of whitish and blotchy - like sal****er might stain
>>> something. But it's not coming out easily.
>>>
>>> Is this maybe sun damage? Anything I can do about this?
>>>
>>> Here's a pic (60kB)
>>>
>>> http://members.shaw.ca/robertrd/trim.jpg
>>>
>>> Thanks for any tips.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> BD

>You will find that on a LOT of vehicles. It is the result of UV
>degradation of the vinyl compounds they use to make the trim. If you
>want to remove it easily, buy some 00 STAINLESS STEEL wool and GENTLY
>scrub the trim. Then use some 303 protectant on it.

You could also try brass wool from a boating/marine supply store.