99 grand caravan..ignition switch?

Old October 12th 05, 09:04 PM
cindilou72

Default 99 grand caravan..ignition switch?

Van has not been wanting to start usually in the morning..sounds like it
has no power. after about 1-6 failed turnovers, it will start fine, and
run fine all day. Till the next day. This morning was different. I
started it, fine. It idled for a min. then went crazy on me. the
speedometer started spinning, and it made an awful loud noise. not a
starter noise. So i shut it off, but the engine continued to run for about
20 more secs. before it cut off. We replaced the relay. Not it. Ya think
the ignition switch is sticking?

Old October 12th 05, 09:29 PM
maxpower

"cindilou72" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Van has not been wanting to start usually in the morning..sounds like it
> has no power. after about 1-6 failed turnovers, it will start fine, and
> run fine all day. Till the next day. This morning was different. I
> started it, fine. It idled for a min. then went crazy on me. the
> speedometer started spinning, and it made an awful loud noise. not a
> starter noise. So i shut it off, but the engine continued to run for about
> 20 more secs. before it cut off. We replaced the relay. Not it. Ya

think
> the ignition switch is sticking?

More then likely the starter solenoid contacts are bad, causing them to not
make contact and not start, and then possibly sticking and causing the
starter bendix to be engaged while the engine was running, causing that
noise you heard

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old October 12th 05, 10:04 PM
cindilou72

Thanks Glenn...so we need to replace the solenoid?

Cindi

Old October 12th 05, 11:24 PM
maxpower

"cindilou72" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Thanks Glenn...so we need to replace the solenoid?
>
> Cindi

No Cindi, thats not what I said! I cannot see what your vehicle is doing, I
can only give you my opinion of what COULD be wrong.
Im not advising you to run out and put parts on this vehicle based on what I
read.
My opinion is.......If it is the starter contacts, I would replace the
complete starter assembly.
There are some independent shops that may be able to get the contacts for
the starter if it is the problem. At the dealer, we will only replace the
starter complete because those contacts are not sold by Chrysler.

Old October 13th 05, 04:30 AM
me!

Replacing contacts

http://www.autosupply.ws/contacts.htm