More Engine Fires

Old November 13th 04, 05:26 AM
Bob Hoover

Default More Engine Fires

To All:

It's been more than ten years since I began posting VW fix-it-up
billy-dews to the Internet. The first article I posted told folks how
to prevent engine fires, addressing a problem Volkswagen addressed
official in 1957 or '58 in a Service Note to their dealers.

Time has added a few more wrinkles to the engine-fire problem but
preventing such fires remains stone-simple.

Track down #6 of the TULZ series. Or a copy of the early 'Sermon'
files. When a bug or bus begins to burn the biggest reason is sitting
right there in the driver's seat.

-Bob Hoover
Old November 13th 04, 12:10 PM
Chris Perdue

>From: veeduber

>It's been more than ten years since I began posting VW fix-it-up
>billy-dews to the Internet.

Bob, you have reached and helped many...thanks for what you do....

>Track down #6 of the TULZ series. Or a copy of the early 'Sermon'
>files. When a bug or bus begins to burn the biggest reason is sitting
>right there in the driver's seat.

for those that can't/won't track it down, go here...:

http://community-2.webtv.net/stlkikn...NFO/page7.html

-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 13th 04, 03:17 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Chris Perdue wrote:
>>From: veeduber

>>It's been more than ten years since I began posting VW fix-it-up
>>billy-dews to the Internet.

> Bob, you have reached and helped many...thanks for what you do....

Amen.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old November 13th 04, 06:40 PM
Wolfgang

Add me to one of those who didn't read it! Teacher sister-in-law was using
it for short trip to school --- brass tube popped out of carb and engine
crispied! Fire took out rear window, wiring, engine lid and the carb meted
to a small aluminum blob! Guess it could have been worse! Wish I had told
her about the fire extinguisher in trunk --- would have worked better than
sand.

om...

Old November 13th 04, 11:12 PM
Mike64Bug

Got the fire extinguisher, never had the POS fuel filter, and made the
feed through grommet repair shortly after getting my '64 Bug.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/fe...emp_repair.jpg
The fuel hose on the carburetor and fuel pump were 1/4" sae (too big)
and about ready to fall off.