Ever buy tires from Pep Boys?

Old November 2nd 04, 08:47 AM
Longagotoday2343

Default Ever buy tires from Pep Boys?

I had a horrible experience buying tires from Pep Boys. They are liars and
cheaters. I purchased four tires at $50 each and the salesman proceeds to tell
me the total will be close to $400! Obviously, I was flabbergasted and asked
why so high. Then he breaks down the price, quickly glossing over $20 per tire
"insurance" and $11 per tire Life-time balancing, both OPTIONAL.

It upsets me that he purposefully didn't ask if I wanted them. Highly unethical
and probably illegal. Wouldn't surprise me if others just accepted the total
and didn't make a fuss like I did. Plus paid another $8 for new stem plugs but
they just used the old ones from my old tires! I also asked them to save one of
the tires because it was relatively new and wanted to keep it as emergency, but
they threw it away!

Good thing I took all the quarters out of the coin box, or they probably
would've taken those too!

Anyone else experience similar? Did you report them and where?
Old November 2nd 04, 09:33 PM
TundraOwner2002

>I had a horrible experience buying tires from Pep Boys. They are liars and
>cheaters. I purchased four tires at $50 each and the salesman proceeds to
>tell
>me the total will be close to $400! Obviously, I was flabbergasted and asked
>why so high. Then he breaks down the price, quickly glossing over $20 per
>tire
>"insurance" and $11 per tire Life-time balancing, both OPTIONAL.

I had the same experience when buying tires for my old Camry about 3 years
back. They advertised my size tire (185/70R14) at 4 for $100 (in a local
flyer).

The final cost: $244 dollars, with the same lousy breakdown they gave you,
except the only insurance they talked about was some "road hazard" ****.

Needless to say, I am never buying anything there again, and avoid them like
the plague. I'd sooner buy tires at the Toyota dealership than go back there!
Old November 3rd 04, 09:23 PM
J.

Not since 1993 when I replaced tires on my 90 Prelude. They actually had
competitive prices on the Michelins that I wanted, were in stock, and did
not have any excessive add-ons that you encountered.

Oh yeah, one little problem. They wound up replacing all four of my OEM
alloy wheels because their imcompetent tire bozo scratched each one more
than 3/4 of the way around. I made them acknowledge the fact that they did
the damage before the car was lowered off the lift. They did give me a
bottle of wheel cleaner and the name of a refinisher that they would pay for
repair. Bottom line - the district manager okay'd four new wheels within a
few days without much of a battle. I saw them at the local Honda dealer
about two weeks later with an invoice price of over $500., billed to Pep
Boys.

Needless to say, they were very careful remounting the tires. I will never
have any work done at Pep Boys again.

J.

Old November 11th 04, 01:52 PM
NJSS

I belong to all three warehouse clubs- Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club.

My experience has been that nobody beats them on tires. If you buy one tire a
year it basically pays for your membership alone.
JIMBO