New Beetle owner with questions

Old March 5th 05, 10:47 PM
Jeveretts

Default New Beetle owner with questions

Hello group, my name is Jerry. I have recently bought my first VW
beetle. It is a 72 Super. I have bought some rims, and a bugpack
exhaust, I also have an Empi shifter, center console, and some 2"
lowering springs on the way. I do have a few questions, it has a
30/31Pict carb on it with an adapter place, the carb looks brand new,
and it runs ok, although I did have to do a bit of tuning after I
removed the broken, rusted, and cracked stock exhaust, and replaced it
with new stuff. I ordered a 34Pict off of ebay, used, I will rebuild
it then put it on, should I expect better performance? Also I get a
shudder sometimes when I take off and let the clutch out, it is much
better if I rev it up more, what would this be? it shakes the whole
car. There is no rust on the body at all, but there is what I would
call a crappy paint job, but everybody else likes it because it is
shiny, and there is evidence on some removable sheet metal parts of
some body work. Is there anything else I should be looking for in this
car? everything electrical seems to work, at least most of the time.
The brake lights didn't work when I got it, it blew the fuse the
instant you turned the ignition on, so I move it to another circuit,
and now it seems fine.

Thanks for any advise in advance
I am sure you will be hearing plenty from me in the months to come
Jerry

http://photobucket.com/albums/y26/Jerrysplace/
Old March 6th 05, 12:47 AM
Shag

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 22:47:00 GMT, Jeveretts
> wrote:

>Hello group, my name is Jerry. I have recently bought my first VW
>beetle. It is a 72 Super. I have bought some rims, and a bugpack
>exhaust, I also have an Empi shifter, center console, and some 2"
>lowering springs on the way. I do have a few questions, it has a
>30/31Pict carb on it with an adapter place, the carb looks brand new,
>and it runs ok, although I did have to do a bit of tuning after I
>removed the broken, rusted, and cracked stock exhaust, and replaced it
>with new stuff. I ordered a 34Pict off of ebay, used, I will rebuild
>it then put it on, should I expect better performance? Also I get a
>shudder sometimes when I take off and let the clutch out, it is much
>better if I rev it up more, what would this be? it shakes the whole
>car.

Search the archives of this group for "bowden tube." Not saying
that's what's wrong, but it's a definite possibility. Maybe oil on
the clutch disc if not the bowden tube.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rch+this+group

> There is no rust on the body at all, but there is what I would
>call a crappy paint job, but everybody else likes it because it is
>shiny, and there is evidence on some removable sheet metal parts of
>some body work. Is there anything else I should be looking for in this
>car? everything electrical seems to work, at least most of the time.
>The brake lights didn't work when I got it, it blew the fuse the
>instant you turned the ignition on, so I move it to another circuit,
>and now it seems fine.
>
>Thanks for any advise in advance
>I am sure you will be hearing plenty from me in the months to come
>Jerry
>

>http://photobucket.com/albums/y26/Jerrysplace/

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old March 6th 05, 01:10 AM
P.J. Berg

Jeveretts wrote:
> Hello group, my name is Jerry. I have recently bought my first VW
> beetle. It is a 72 Super. I have bought some rims, and a bugpack
> exhaust, I also have an Empi shifter, center console, and some 2"
> lowering springs on the way. I do have a few questions, it has a
> 30/31Pict carb on it with an adapter place, the carb looks brand new,
> and it runs ok, although I did have to do a bit of tuning after I
> removed the broken, rusted, and cracked stock exhaust, and replaced it
> with new stuff. I ordered a 34Pict off of ebay, used, I will rebuild
> it then put it on, should I expect better performance? Also I get a
> shudder sometimes when I take off and let the clutch out, it is much
> better if I rev it up more, what would this be? it shakes the whole
> car. There is no rust on the body at all, but there is what I would
> call a crappy paint job, but everybody else likes it because it is
> shiny, and there is evidence on some removable sheet metal parts of
> some body work. Is there anything else I should be looking for in this
> car? everything electrical seems to work, at least most of the time.
> The brake lights didn't work when I got it, it blew the fuse the
> instant you turned the ignition on, so I move it to another circuit,
> and now it seems fine.
>
> Thanks for any advise in advance
> I am sure you will be hearing plenty from me in the months to come
> Jerry
>

> http://photobucket.com/albums/y26/Jerrysplace/

Worn engine/transmission mounts will also cause clatter/shaking.

J.
Old March 6th 05, 05:31 PM
MIC

>. I ordered a 34Pict off of ebay, used, I will rebuild
> it then put it on, should I expect better performance?

Yes it will, but it does not fit directly on your manifold. Been there ,
done that.... :-)
The spacing of the studs are different on Pict31 and Pict 34.

> Also I get a shudder sometimes when I take off and let the clutch out, it
> is much
> better if I rev it up more, what would this be? it shakes the whole
> car.

Maybee you should check the engine mounts and the trannymount.
Bye...Mic

Old March 6th 05, 08:00 PM
Jeveretts

Begging your pardon, but doesn't a pict34 bolt directly to a 1600DP? I
was under the impression that this was the original carb for a 72, and
the 30/31 was the wrong bolt patter, hence the adapter plate being
used.
Jerry

Old March 6th 05, 08:25 PM
MIC

> Begging your pardon, but doesn't a pict34 bolt directly to a 1600DP? I
> was under the impression that this was the original carb for a 72, and
> the 30/31 was the wrong bolt patter, hence the adapter plate being
> used.

You are right. I'm wrong. 1600ccm = Pict 34 1300 ccm =Pict 31
Bye...MIC

new 1989 coupe owner - couple of questions Jamie Fisher Audi 3 January 22nd 05 12:19 AM
More new owner questions Nick H Mazda 3 December 22nd 04 03:15 AM
Questions from a new owner Max Mazda 4 December 18th 04 01:01 AM
Some questions Jeff Kleier VW air cooled 8 November 20th 04 01:20 AM