2000 Jimmy -- Stearing sluggish in 4 wheel drive

Old December 30th 04, 06:54 AM

Default 2000 Jimmy -- Stearing sluggish in 4 wheel drive

I have bought a used GMC Jimmy.

I've noticed that the steering is very sluggish when I put it in
4-wheel-drive and the wheels don't coast freely, especially when
turning sharply.

This is the first 4X4 I have ever owned. Is this normal? I took it back
to the dealer in the 30-day warranty period. They actually replaced the
brakes, but this had no effect on the behavior listed above.
In 2-wheel-drive, everything seems normal.
Tom

Old December 30th 04, 12:08 PM
pater

Normal situation if you put it in 4x4 on hard surfaces. The main issue
here is to NOT drive it around locked in unless there is snow or mud
under your tires. Ever seen a transfer case "wind up"??? It ain't
pretty.