2002 F150 PU spark plug replacement question

Old July 8th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Gary Emerson

Default 2002 F150 PU spark plug replacement question

Greetings,

In looking at the engine, I'm getting the impression that changing these
plugs is gonna be a real chore. Looks like I might have to remove the
fuel rail feeding the injectors and the rear 2 plugs are going to be
hard to get to even after the rail is out of the way.

Is it as bad as I think?

Thanks,

Gary
Old July 8th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

"Gary Emerson" wrote: (2002 F150)

Looking at the engine, I get the impression that
changing these plugs is a real chore. Looks like
I might have to remove the fuel rail feeding the
injectors and the rear 2 plugs will be hard to get
to even after the rail is out of the way. Is it as
bad as I think?
_______________________________________

It depends on the engine. If you reveal
which engine you have, someone here will
probably have some experience to share.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Old July 8th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Gary Emerson

Rodan wrote:
> "Gary Emerson" wrote: (2002 F150)
>
> Looking at the engine, I get the impression that
> changing these plugs is a real chore. Looks like
> I might have to remove the fuel rail feeding the
> injectors and the rear 2 plugs will be hard to get
> to even after the rail is out of the way. Is it as
> bad as I think?
> _______________________________________
>
> It depends on the engine. If you reveal
> which engine you have, someone here will
> probably have some experience to share.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Rodan.

4.6L V8 - thanks
Old July 8th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article > ,
Gary Emerson > wrote:

> Rodan wrote:
> > "Gary Emerson" wrote: (2002 F150)
> >
> > Looking at the engine, I get the impression that
> > changing these plugs is a real chore. Looks like
> > I might have to remove the fuel rail feeding the
> > injectors and the rear 2 plugs will be hard to get
> > to even after the rail is out of the way. Is it as
> > bad as I think?
> > _______________________________________
> >
> > It depends on the engine. If you reveal
> > which engine you have, someone here will
> > probably have some experience to share.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Rodan.
> >

> 4.6L V8 - thanks

No need to move the fuel rail.
You may want to procure a 8mm 1/4" drive flex socket for the
screws that hold the coils down. (double check the 8mm)

Uncomfortable job, but not that terrible.

Replace the plug boots as long as you have it apart.
DO use an accurate torque wrench when tightening the plugs, they
have 'problems.'

Be glad it's not a three valve 5.4
Old July 8th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Gary Emerson

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> In article > ,
> Gary Emerson > wrote:
>
>> Rodan wrote:
>>> "Gary Emerson" wrote: (2002 F150)
>>>
>>> Looking at the engine, I get the impression that
>>> changing these plugs is a real chore. Looks like
>>> I might have to remove the fuel rail feeding the
>>> injectors and the rear 2 plugs will be hard to get
>>> to even after the rail is out of the way. Is it as
>>> bad as I think?
>>> _______________________________________
>>>
>>> It depends on the engine. If you reveal
>>> which engine you have, someone here will
>>> probably have some experience to share.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>>> Rodan.
>>>

>> 4.6L V8 - thanks

> No need to move the fuel rail.
> You may want to procure a 8mm 1/4" drive flex socket for the
> screws that hold the coils down. (double check the 8mm)
>
> Uncomfortable job, but not that terrible.
>
> Replace the plug boots as long as you have it apart.
> DO use an accurate torque wrench when tightening the plugs, they
> have 'problems.'
>
> Be glad it's not a three valve 5.4

Ok, maybe I'll give it a try if I don't have to move the fuel rail.

Just remove the small screws that hold the coils in place, then the
coils will flex enough to come out past the fuel rail?? Rest is usual
care to not bust a knuckle or strip any threads???

I have a 1/4" drive universal joint for my socket set as well as a flex
drive.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Anyone know for sure what the torque is for the plugs? I do have a
torque wrench.

Gary
Old July 8th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Gary Emerson > wrote:

> I have a 1/4" drive universal joint for my socket set as well as a flex
> drive.
>
> Thanks for the advice so far.
>
> Anyone know for sure what the torque is for the plugs? I do have a
> torque wrench.
>
> Gary

13 ft.lbs.
Old July 8th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> In article > ,
> Gary Emerson > wrote:
>
>> Rodan wrote:
>>> "Gary Emerson" wrote: (2002 F150)
>>>
>>> Looking at the engine, I get the impression that
>>> changing these plugs is a real chore. Looks like
>>> I might have to remove the fuel rail feeding the
>>> injectors and the rear 2 plugs will be hard to get
>>> to even after the rail is out of the way. Is it as
>>> bad as I think?
>>> _______________________________________
>>>
>>> It depends on the engine. If you reveal
>>> which engine you have, someone here will
>>> probably have some experience to share.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>>> Rodan.
>>>

>> 4.6L V8 - thanks

> No need to move the fuel rail.
> You may want to procure a 8mm 1/4" drive flex socket for the
> screws that hold the coils down. (double check the 8mm)
>
> Uncomfortable job, but not that terrible.
>
> Replace the plug boots as long as you have it apart.
> DO use an accurate torque wrench when tightening the plugs, they
> have 'problems.'
>
> Be glad it's not a three valve 5.4

I believe that's 7mm. Ditto on the torque wrench. These engines like
to blow the plugs right out of them.
Old July 8th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Gary Emerson

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> In article >,
> Gary Emerson > wrote:
>
>> I have a 1/4" drive universal joint for my socket set as well as a flex
>> drive.
>>
>> Thanks for the advice so far.
>>
>> Anyone know for sure what the torque is for the plugs? I do have a
>> torque wrench.
>>
>> Gary

> 13 ft.lbs.

Super, thanks very much for the great advice.
Old July 18th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Gary Emerson

Gary Emerson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> In looking at the engine, I'm getting the impression that changing these
> plugs is gonna be a real chore. Looks like I might have to remove the
> fuel rail feeding the injectors and the rear 2 plugs are going to be
> hard to get to even after the rail is out of the way.
>
> Is it as bad as I think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

Thanks again for all the good advice.

I took my time and finished all 8 plugs in about 2 1/2 hours w/ no blood
drawn.

All the plugs broke free with relative ease. The aftmost plug on the
passenger side was a bit of a challange, but not bad. Same for the
driver side, but the drive side in general was a bit easier since the
plugs actually face slightly forward.

The coils on the plugs are actually a lot more flexible than one might
guess. Once the 7mm screw is removed then it's very easy to pull them
out. Highly recommend compressed air to blow out the plugs before
removal. Definitely a very doable job.

Gary