I don't like electric assist stearing.

Old March 21st 07, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

Default I don't like electric assist stearing.

"E28 Guyİ" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> C.R. Krieger
> (Been there; taught that - 'CCA driving instructor)

The only question remaining is how many people who took your "lessons" are
still alive given "C.R." stands for "Can't Resuscitate."

Old March 21st 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

On Mar 21, 1:37 pm, "grinder" > wrote:
> "E28 Guyİ" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > C.R. Krieger
> > (Been there; taught that - 'CCA driving instructor)

> The only question remaining is how many people who took your "lessons" are
> still alive given "C.R." stands for "Can't Resuscitate."

Gee; can I use that? Or do I need to pay you royalties?

Seriously, I forgot you had the Mini. Join BMW CCA if you have to,
but get into your local club's driving schools. Sears Point, Laguna
Seca, Buttonwillow, or whatever - it doesn't matter what the venue is.
The Golden Gate Chapter's instructors (I assume that if you have the
time to get to Dinan so often, you're close by - and that means GG
Chapter.) are excellent. I don't recall whether it is that chapter
that uses only paid professionals (like Skippy School instructors),
but regardless, you can learn from them. And you should. Some day,
you, too, could be a Smartassİ hotshoe like me!
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 21st 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On 21 Mar 2007 14:20:32 -0700, "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:

> (like Skippy School instructors),

Ah, yes. I did Skippy's three day race driving school at Lime Rock 7
or 8 years ago. I forget the instructors' names now but I could look
them up if I had to. A couple of them were mentally unstable, one in
particular was very proud that he'd more than once been pulled over by
multiple police cars after chases on the road, and in particular the
last time it happened, the cops approached his car crouching, and with
guns drawn. He was an older guy, perhaps you know him?
--
Dan.
Old March 21st 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

grinder wrote:

>"E28 Guyİ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> On Mar 16, 12:39 pm, "grinder" > wrote:
>> Are you comfortable with crawling
>> under your car to make those adjustments while testing or are you
>> going to have to haul it back to a tech to do it every time?

>This probably has not occurred to you but why would Dinan be
>offering/selling them if multiple trips back to Dinan would be required to
>adjust them or require the owner to do self adjustments? Oooops!!!!! Just
>a shot here but I bet they know where the best initial adjustments need to
>be.

Snotty jerk.

Old March 22nd 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> grinder wrote:
>
>>"E28 Guyİ" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>>> On Mar 16, 12:39 pm, "grinder" > wrote:
>>> Are you comfortable with crawling
>>> under your car to make those adjustments while testing or are you
>>> going to have to haul it back to a tech to do it every time?

>>This probably has not occurred to you but why would Dinan be
>>offering/selling them if multiple trips back to Dinan would be required to
>>adjust them or require the owner to do self adjustments? Oooops!!!!!
>>Just
>>a shot here but I bet they know where the best initial adjustments need to
>>be.

> Snotty jerk.

You got nuttin.

Old March 22nd 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

On Mar 21, 4:21 pm, Dean Dark > wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2007 14:20:32 -0700, "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:
>
> > (like Skippy School instructors),

> Ah, yes. I did Skippy's three day race driving school at Lime Rock 7
> or 8 years ago. I forget the instructors' names now but I could look
> them up if I had to. A couple of them were mentally unstable, one in
> particular was very proud that he'd more than once been pulled over by
> multiple police cars after chases on the road, and in particular the
> last time it happened, the cops approached his car crouching, and with
> guns drawn. He was an older guy, perhaps you know him?

ROTFL! Not off the top of my head, but if you get me a name, I no
doubt know someone who knows him. I tend to avoid situations where
any more than one car with disco lights is after me and I *especially*
avoid having to deal with officers who have drawn their weapons in
anticipation of dealing with me. Not that it's never happened.

To foreclose all the snide remarks, here's the short story:

While visiting my folks in Ohio at Xmastime, I borrowed my dad's Big
Damn Buickİ (a '79 Electra 225). As I drove into our small town late
one evening with one headlight burned out, I noticed a police car
coming out of a cross street behind me and it followed me for over a
mile while in town. I was making damn sure I wasn't doing anything
wrong except piloting a car with a burned out headlight. A few blocks
from my folks' home, I made what appeared to be a suspiciously evasive
second left turn in 2 blocks in order to go to a discount drugstore to
*buy* a headlight for the damn Buick. As I pulled into the parking
lot, he 'lit 'em up' and a *second* patrol car in full disco array
pulled in as well! I ran the window down and they told me to
"Freeze!". Huh? All this for a burned out headlight? After a moment
or two of radio chatter I couldn't hear, they came over to ask me for
ID. I gave them my WI driver's license and my WI Bar card to prove
I'm a lawyer (not that this *ever* gets me a break - but at least it's
some level of credibility since they know I'm an 'officer of the
court'). I didn't know where the registration is since it was not my
car and I told them I was there to buy a headlight since I had just
discovered that night it was out (all true).

After an inordinately long time spent checking me out, they snippily
explained that there had been a burglary following a pattern in the
south side neighborhood I drove past and a 'suspicious' car described
as a light-colored older GM (like dad's Bilious Lime Green Buick) had
been seen in the area. I happened along at exactly the *wrong* time.
=8^0 I apologized for looking suspicious and for not having a
trunkful of loot. I expected an apology in return, but all I got was
sarcasm ("You're going to buy a headlight *here*?" I *think*, but do
not *say*, "Of course, you moron. They *sell them* for about $7
inside!") and a warning threat as he walked back to his car: "The
ticket for that headlight could cost you $80."

So there you have it. Not much of a 'car chase' (all at or under the
speed limit of 35) and no weapons actually pointed at me, but I *did*
have multiple cops chasing me down!
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 22nd 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On 22 Mar 2007 09:53:37 -0700, "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:

>On Mar 21, 4:21 pm, Dean Dark > wrote:
>> On 21 Mar 2007 14:20:32 -0700, "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:
>>
>> > (like Skippy School instructors),

>> Ah, yes. I did Skippy's three day race driving school at Lime Rock 7
>> or 8 years ago. I forget the instructors' names now but I could look
>> them up if I had to. A couple of them were mentally unstable, one in
>> particular was very proud that he'd more than once been pulled over by
>> multiple police cars after chases on the road, and in particular the
>> last time it happened, the cops approached his car crouching, and with
>> guns drawn. He was an older guy, perhaps you know him?

>ROTFL! Not off the top of my head, but if you get me a name, I no
>doubt know someone who knows him.

Yes, I'm sure. I also know racers who know him, I just haven't
bothered dragging his name back up. Plus, there's no need to
embarrass him. There's nothing to prove here.

Lime Rock is a great little track though. Just the right combination
of skill and speed, including uphill and downhill curves, enough to be
very demanding. I've had a couple of monster spins there, including
one in my Caterhan Seven that went into the dirt and had two wheels in
the air. Both of them on the same side of the vehicle. Clean
underpants, though.
--
Dan.
Old March 23rd 07, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

On Mar 22, 4:17 pm, Dean Dark > wrote:

> Lime Rock is a great little track though. Just the right combination
> of skill and speed, including uphill and downhill curves, enough to be
> very demanding. I've had a couple of monster spins there, including
> one in my Caterhan Seven that went into the dirt and had two wheels in
> the air. Both of them on the same side of the vehicle. Clean
> underpants, though.

Quite an accomplishment!

Yes, Lime Rock *is* a lotta fun. Remarkably so for a track with only
*one left turn*! =;^) Perhaps you know the Ritaccos?
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 23rd 07, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On 23 Mar 2007 09:07:40 -0700, "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:

>Yes, Lime Rock *is* a lotta fun. Remarkably so for a track with only
>*one left turn*! =;^)

But what a *tricky* left turn it is.

>Perhaps you know the Ritaccos?

The name doesn't ring a bell.
--
Dan.
Old March 23rd 07, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JRE

Dean Dark wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2007 09:07:40 -0700, "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:
>

>>Yes, Lime Rock *is* a lotta fun. Remarkably so for a track with only
>>*one left turn*! =;^)

> But what a *tricky* left turn it is.

<snip>

I did not find the left particularly tricky; it's pretty flat and
smooth, or used to be. Big Bend with double apex and its bumps at the
first apex was moderately tricky. But since it was very like how the
exit from the Taconic State Parkway to Route 84 west used to be (right
down to the bumps at the first apex!) and I drove that exit daily at the
time, it wasn't too tough.

The right hander that turns uphill partway through at the end of the
short straight, though, I found very tricky. It's just Not Right to
turn in that late as you look at the armco come up directly at you in
the windshield at that speed. Unnatural, I say! ;-)

JRE

97 TJ stearing box removal [email protected] Jeep 2 December 17th 06 08:44 PM
Replace stearing wheel on car w/airbag? [email protected] General 2 March 26th 06 02:51 PM
Creeky stearing! Who? Chrysler 3 September 14th 05 03:00 PM
Stearing column squeak Cheeky Bee via CarKB.com Audi 3 May 23rd 05 09:57 AM
2000 Jimmy -- Stearing sluggish in 4 wheel drive [email protected] Technology 1 December 30th 04 12:08 PM