bmw x5 2001

Old March 21st 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bmills

Default bmw x5 2001

We recently purchased a bmw x5-2001. Before we took possession of it the
dealer had the air conditioner compressor repaired. Now two weeks after we
took possession of the truck, the coolant light pops on. Bmw's are really
sensitive so i took it back to the dealer who told me to take it to the
place where it had been serviced because the service is under warranty.
They put antifreeze in it and told us it had nothing to do with the
compressor. Well one week after that I noticed the truck was leaking
antifreeze in my driveway but the coolant light has not popped on yet. It
is alot of leakage and I was just wondering if anybody knew where this
leakage could possibly be coming from? Call me crazy but during our
initial test drive, there were no coolant problems and now it is just
aggravating because I feel like their repair has really caused some
damage. I love my truck and I really want to keep it but I am so over it.
Please help me out............!!!!!

Old March 21st 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

bmills wrote:
> We recently purchased a bmw x5-2001. Before we took possession of it the
> dealer had the air conditioner compressor repaired. Now two weeks after we
> took possession of the truck, the coolant light pops on. Bmw's are really
> sensitive so i took it back to the dealer who told me to take it to the
> place where it had been serviced because the service is under warranty.
> They put antifreeze in it and told us it had nothing to do with the
> compressor. Well one week after that I noticed the truck was leaking
> antifreeze in my driveway but the coolant light has not popped on yet. It
> is alot of leakage and I was just wondering if anybody knew where this
> leakage could possibly be coming from? Call me crazy but during our
> initial test drive, there were no coolant problems and now it is just
> aggravating because I feel like their repair has really caused some
> damage. I love my truck and I really want to keep it but I am so over it.
> Please help me out............!!!!!

This seems to be one of those very rare occasions when the salesman sn't
lying.

Your coolant leakage has absolutely nothing to do with the air
conditioning compressor.

But it is important, actually more important than whether the AC works
or not, so don't just let it go.

To help figure where the leak is coming from sometimes it's helpful to
lay something underneath the car like clean paper or cardboard and then
look at what partr of the car is above the drip (before moving the
car, obviously). There are many places the coolant can dribble out so
having information like that would be very helpful for your repair guy,
and may aid him in diagnosing the problem right the first time.

--
-Fred W
Old March 21st 07, 09:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"bmills" > wrote
> We recently purchased a bmw x5-2001. Before we took possession of it the
> dealer had the air conditioner compressor repaired. Now two weeks after we
> took possession of the truck, the coolant light pops on. Bmw's are really
> sensitive so i took it back to the dealer who told me to take it to the
> place where it had been serviced because the service is under warranty.
> They put antifreeze in it and told us it had nothing to do with the
> compressor. Well one week after that I noticed the truck was leaking
> antifreeze in my driveway but the coolant light has not popped on yet. It
> is alot of leakage and I was just wondering if anybody knew where this
> leakage could possibly be coming from? Call me crazy but during our
> initial test drive, there were no coolant problems and now it is just
> aggravating because I feel like their repair has really caused some
> damage. I love my truck and I really want to keep it but I am so over it.
> Please help me out............!!!!!

If you search online, you will find that BMWs are notorious for
failed radiators; they generally last only 100K miles or less and often
fail before that. Check the top and bottom of the radiator for leaks
where the aluminum radiator core and the plastic top/bottom manifolds
are attached. Also check the area where the coolant hoses are attached.
These are the common failure points.

I am surprised (shocked) that the dealer didn't immediately have
a mechanic look at your X5.

It is very important that this be fixed before you drive it - overheating
on BMW engines usually results in warped heads and $$$$$$$$$$$
repairs.

FloydR

Old March 22nd 07, 01:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Lerkio

Was it water or was it anti-freeze (usually green or maybe blue)

If water it might just be the AC working

Old March 23rd 07, 11:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
04bmw745li

I have the same SAV and it when i use the ac i get do get a lot of water.
Like the post before make sure it antifreeze and not water. WATER IS NORMAL

Old March 24th 07, 12:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
gw

> >We recently purchased a bmw x5-2001. Before we took possession of it the
> >dealer had the air conditioner compressor repaired.

The dealer had the compressor repaired? I'm surprised they repaired
the compressor and not just replace it. Also, it must be rather
poorly equipped BMW dealer that has to outsource A/C repairs!!

> >Well one week after that I noticed the truck was leaking
> >antifreeze in my driveway

When they were repairing the A/C compressor they might have damaged
the radiator. As already mentioned, these radiators have an inherent
weakness; where the metal core meets the plastic top and bottom
housings.

Kind regards,

gamini.