Tool box type security boxes that might fit the rear area of a midsize SUV ?

Old February 12th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Barry

Default Tool box type security boxes that might fit the rear area of a midsize SUV ?

I want to put the equivalent of one of those truck - Delta Pro
Aluminum Single Lid Crossover Toolbox things in the back area of my
2006 4runner. I have not worked out the dimensions and measurements of
alternate boxes, but there is a good chance that it will fit. The
standard truck tool boxes, while strong, are a half a foot too wide
for my rear storage area. Perhaps there are some other boxes, even for
purposes other than this, which might serve.

I simply must have some relatively secure portion of my 4runner, as I
must carry around papers and valuables and the like. Only when stopped
in questionable locations would it be of concern, but it is of
concern.
I could use ready to buy Master Lock type steel cabling that could be
put through eye hooks bolted into the box and then the cabling would
run under the seats to anything that would accept having it wrap
around. It would not stop someone with a blow torch, but would cause
some definite time delays.

Then, if a great need arose to take it out of the back, so that
something else could go in temporarily, I can do that.

Needless to say, this is a first series of thoughts. Any suggestions
from out there ?

Old February 14th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_2_]

"Barry" <S3434P@remove the remove yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I want to put the equivalent of one of those truck - Delta Pro
> Aluminum Single Lid Crossover Toolbox things in the back area of my
> 2006 4runner. I have not worked out the dimensions and measurements of
> alternate boxes, but there is a good chance that it will fit. The
> standard truck tool boxes, while strong, are a half a foot too wide
> for my rear storage area. Perhaps there are some other boxes, even for
> purposes other than this, which might serve.
>
> I simply must have some relatively secure portion of my 4runner, as I
> must carry around papers and valuables and the like. Only when stopped
> in questionable locations would it be of concern, but it is of
> concern.
> I could use ready to buy Master Lock type steel cabling that could be
> put through eye hooks bolted into the box and then the cabling would
> run under the seats to anything that would accept having it wrap
> around. It would not stop someone with a blow torch, but would cause
> some definite time delays.
>
> Then, if a great need arose to take it out of the back, so that
> something else could go in temporarily, I can do that.
>
> Needless to say, this is a first series of thoughts. Any suggestions
> from out there ?

Barry, check Lowe's and Home Depot for the black fiberglas boxes. Many
are narrower (and often taller) than across-the-rail type for pickups. IE,
they are symmetrical. Could be bolted thru floor pan, if necessary, using
large flat washers and made relatively secure. I've also seen chrome
checkerplate, aluminum, in same shapes, but more expensive. (Might be no
need to remove as they might even carry the wife inside, if she isn't too
big. HTH, s

Old March 22nd 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
CAPCAN Inc.

You may want to take a look at our CORVUS boxes
(www.corvusboxes.com). While not metal, they come with locking
latches, they can be moved quite readily and they have the unique
capability to convert into a bed-liner to protect the interior of your
vehicle.

CAPCAN Inc.