changing crossfire C4 to carburation

Old December 7th 07, 04:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Billy Ryman

Default changing crossfire C4 to carburation

Hey, all you can do is point out the pitfalls and disadvantages to the
fellow. I agree that a cracked manifold doesn't warrant what he wants to do,
but he seems to have his mind set on it. In effect what he'll be doing by
completing this "retro-fit" is reducing any market or intrinsic value of the
car to nothing,.... plus he's going to spend a couple thousand in parts &
labor to arrive at this end result.

Not to criticize, just my opinion.

Old December 7th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Billy Ryman

The Cross-Fire TBI system on the 84 was two GM 200 series TBI's. The same
TBI's that would appear in GM's medium cars and light trucks 3 years later.
Synchronization of the TBI's was done via the ECU. It was a good system,
fuel efficient, and got rid of that massive amount of vacuum lines that
draped the intake manifold, but lacked the kind of performance you want in a
Corvette.

I spoke with a welder the other day and he said that unless the manifold is
broken in half it is not a problem repair it.(In the neighborhood of $100).
A couple years ago he repaired a smashed runner on a SBC manifold for me.
Looked like a factory new manifold when he was done. If you have a skilled
welder with the right tooling he can work wonders.

Old December 7th 07, 06:00 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

On Dec 6, 8:02 pm, Elbert > wrote:
> what was in the camaro from 1982? the 7004R trans?

They used the 200-4R for a while, then switched to 700R4. Don't
remember when.

Old December 8th 07, 04:10 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Refinish King[_2_]

I don't remember if it was manual or automatic:

Call them at 570-644-0777, ask for Paul.

RK
"Elbert" > wrote in message

> what was in the camaro from 1982? the 7004R trans?
>

> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:13:09 GMT, "Refinish King"
> > wrote:
>
>>It was in the Camaro from 1982!
>>
>>You and the other guy, should be careful of cigarettes with white dust on
>>them.
>>
>>RK
. ..

Old December 8th 07, 04:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Refinish King[_2_]

Pitfalls as follows:

Modifying the transmission detent cable, and making a bracket.

Changing over to a HEI distributor, providing he has the clearance.

Wiring issuse, Codes setting for missing components.

Emissions, my daughters and grandchildren breath the air hr will mess up.

Cam issues, i.e..: Stumbling, hesitation and all that good ****.

Gearing, the rear is most like lower than a carbureted car.

I'm too disgusted to go on and tired.

RK

Old December 10th 07, 02:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Billy Ryman

The crossfire system in the Z-28's only lasted 2 years, In 1984 the LU5
option was dropped and it was back to LG4 and L69 which in 1984 sported
closed loop carbs!!!!! That system was not the same as the Corvette 1984
version by a far cry (they were the same POS that was installed on the 4
cylinders). It was so poorly designed that the most HP they could get out of
the that 305 was a rated 160!

The TBI's used on the 1984 Corvette would not be used in regular GM
production until late 1986!

Remind us not to send you to the parts store.

Changing antifreeze when changing water pump Sasha Technology 14 February 5th 07 04:55 PM
'84 Crossfire cam Art[_3_] Corvette 4 August 21st 06 04:00 AM
C-3 350 CrossFire gjt Corvette 5 May 30th 06 08:25 PM
ATI Crossfire Mitch_A Simulators 0 June 1st 05 06:13 AM
header / intake carburation question Rufio Corvette 1 January 29th 05 06:08 PM