what's better about higher priced rotors?

Old June 22nd 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
LinuxTester

Default what's better about higher priced rotors?

On Jun 22, 11:37 am, "MG" > wrote:
[snipped]
> So, what is the bottom line here? Is there actually little or no difference
> in all these parts? Brembo rotors ar available for my car for $43 apiece.
> Is that a waste of money? It seems like the whole thing is quite a
> crapshoot, considering the very high importance of properly operating
> brakes.

i see Brembo rotors for my Z28 at tirerack.com for $43 USD,
but who's to say that Brembo doesnt farm out manufacturing
to their close neighbor, China?

i mean, the Wagner's i bought have Made in China stamped
on the "Wagner" stickers on the box.

regards, michael

Old June 22nd 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MG

"LinuxTester" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 22, 11:37 am, "MG" > wrote:
> [snipped]
>> So, what is the bottom line here? Is there actually little or no
>> difference
>> in all these parts? Brembo rotors ar available for my car for $43
>> apiece.
>> Is that a waste of money? It seems like the whole thing is quite a
>> crapshoot, considering the very high importance of properly operating
>> brakes.

> i see Brembo rotors for my Z28 at tirerack.com for $43 USD,
> but who's to say that Brembo doesnt farm out manufacturing
> to their close neighbor, China?
>
> i mean, the Wagner's i bought have Made in China stamped
> on the "Wagner" stickers on the box.
>
> regards, michael

Wagner, Bendix, Raybestos all make solid brake products, but Brembo
positions itself as a higher-quality supplier. A quick search shows nothing
specific on their website about place of manufacture. They do claim tighter
tolerances. ISO 9001, "special" cast iron, and various other manufacturing
quality measures. So are you guaranteed getting a better product from them?
It's an interesting question. It would be even more interesting if we were
talking about parts that cost a lot of money. Rotors, at least, are
relatively inexpensive.

mg

Old June 22nd 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jun 17, 9:58 am, LinuxTester > wrote:
> so i'm checking out prices for front rotors (1995 Z-28),
> which range in price (at rockauto.com) from:
>
> * $19.50 USD RAYBESTOS {Professional Grade, vented)
> * $45.00 USD WAGNER (no details)
> * $48.00 USD RAYBESTOS (vented, originally equipped
> and supplied in noise dampening iron)
> * $87.00 USD RAYBESTOS {Brute Stop} Front;Left
> (obviously dedicated left and right side)
> * $110.00 USD ACDELCO FRT DURASTOP PERFORMANCE
> LEFT HAND (also dedicated left / right side).
>
> and there are a few others scattered in-between.
>
> so what am i getting "extra", say, between the $48 unit and $19.50
> unit
> from Raybestos ??? it would seem "smart" to go with the $19 unit and
> change the rotors out every time it's time to change the pads (?).
>
> regards, michael

Reminds me of Tommy Boy

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a
guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted: I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause
he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your
pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a
quarter.
Ted: What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy
glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but
we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off
the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?

Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of
****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box
and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now,
for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about
buying a quality item from me.
Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tom
my: Well I... What?

Many of the chain stores sell the same quality parts with different
prices hoping you will feel better about your purchase. Ask to see
some of the rotors and see if you can tell the difference in a $20 and
$50 piece. Probly not. Happens a lot on brake pads.

Old June 23rd 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, LinuxTester wrote:
> On Jun 22, 11:37 am, "MG" > wrote:
> [snipped]
>> So, what is the bottom line here? Is there actually little or no difference
>> in all these parts? Brembo rotors ar available for my car for $43 apiece.
>> Is that a waste of money? It seems like the whole thing is quite a
>> crapshoot, considering the very high importance of properly operating
>> brakes.

> i see Brembo rotors for my Z28 at tirerack.com for $43 USD,
> but who's to say that Brembo doesnt farm out manufacturing
> to their close neighbor, China?

Italy and China are no where near each other.

And the brembo rotors I use are not made in china. I do not remember
specifically however, but if it wasn't Italy it was some other first
world nation. I should replace the rears in a few months or whenever the
pads get worn down, those will stock replacements so I'll find out for
that grade as well.

Old July 5th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

clifto wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Ray > wrote:
>>> Uh huh... I'm sure you can do all this testing in a parts store or over
>>> the internet while you're trying to determine if you should buy the $19
>>> rotor, the $49 rotor, or the $99 rotor.

>> Most of the time you don't care. Tap it on the parts counter and see if
>> it goes clang or it goes thunk. That tells you most of what you want to
>> know.

> So thunk is the gray iron and clang isn't. Which is good and which is bad?

This was a serious question. I'm not a metallurgist and I don't play one
on TV.

--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are
Old July 6th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

clifto wrote:

> > So thunk is the gray iron and clang isn't. Which is good and which is bad?

> This was a serious question. I'm not a metallurgist and I don't play one
> on TV.

It may not matter. You may not have a choice when you are sitting at the
parts counter.
The properties have already been discussed in the thread. Gray iron is
not as strong as ductile iron, which is generally not as strong as
steel. Other than strength Gray iron makes an excellent rotor and it's
biggest plus is it is very good for dampening vibration.

-jim