New spark plugs on the market.

Old July 2nd 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Default New spark plugs on the market.

aarcuda69062 wrote:

>>I guess you can technically
>>release hydrocarbon products to atmosphere legally, so it's no big
>>deal.

> Actually, no. Once any refrigerant is installed in a motor
> vehicle, it falls under section 609 and has to be recovered.
> If you used peanut butter and jelly, it would have to be
> recovered by law...

Right- laws aren't always particularly intelligently written. That's why
you HAVE to recover R-134a that is in a car air conditioner, but you can
go to Office Depot and buy 200 bottles of "Dust Off" to clean your
computer fans, or go to an electronics shop and buy 200 bottles of
"Freeze-It" used to chill semiconductors to find ones that quit working
when hot and vent them into your office all day. Both of those
(especially the freeze sprays) are usually R-134a, the same chemical
used in car air conditioners.

Its enough to make a rational person think the EPA is full of loonies.

Old July 2nd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

loonies,,,, Fragile Warrior in the alt.gossip.celebrities newsgroup
coined a word for loonies, F' loons.
cuhulin

Old July 2nd 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

Steve wrote:
> Right- laws aren't always particularly intelligently written. That's why
> you HAVE to recover R-134a that is in a car air conditioner, but you can
> go to Office Depot and buy 200 bottles of "Dust Off" to clean your
> computer fans,

I've seen that a lot, but my can of Falcon Dust-Off contains
1,1-Difluoroethane, CAS #75-37-4, which is R-152a.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsamp...CH_235325.html

Not that it doesn't make a fine refrigerant in its own light, with a
boiling point of -27C. Not that it isn't chemically similar to R-134a,
it is. Just a data point.

--
Happy Birthday, Canada!
July 1, 1867 - July 1, 2007
Old July 3rd 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> aarcuda69062 wrote:
>

> >>I guess you can technically
> >>release hydrocarbon products to atmosphere legally, so it's no big
> >>deal.

> > Actually, no. Once any refrigerant is installed in a motor
> > vehicle, it falls under section 609 and has to be recovered.
> > If you used peanut butter and jelly, it would have to be
> > recovered by law...

> Right- laws aren't always particularly intelligently written. That's why
> you HAVE to recover R-134a that is in a car air conditioner, but you can
> go to Office Depot and buy 200 bottles of "Dust Off" to clean your
> computer fans, or go to an electronics shop and buy 200 bottles of
> "Freeze-It" used to chill semiconductors to find ones that quit working
> when hot and vent them into your office all day. Both of those
> (especially the freeze sprays) are usually R-134a, the same chemical
> used in car air conditioners.
>
> Its enough to make a rational person think the EPA is full of loonies.

I'd heard that claim about the duster cans a number of times, the
ones I've seen at Office Max and Office Depot were not R-134a.
<shrug>

I quit fighting the rules decades ago, too much risk...

Back in the 70s and 80s when we used to just let the R-12 fly, I
remember thinking what a waste it was.
Old July 3rd 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> I quit fighting the rules decades ago, too much risk...

I've more or less quit too, but they'll be kicking dirt over me when I
stop calling the stoopid rules stoopid rules.

Old July 3rd 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

wrote in article
> I was looking through my July 2007 Popular Mechanics magazine which I
> received in my snail mail a couple of weeks ago.A big two page ad about
> the new spark plugs.
www.pulstarplug.com

Now, that's great news for the auto manufacturers who have to meet more
stringent CAFE standards in a couple of years.

Instead of assigning dozens of engineers to the problem of increasing fuel
mileage to meet the new CAFE standards, they only need to change their
spark plug vendor.

I'm sure they'll all be happy to hear the news.

Has anybody told them yet?

Old July 3rd 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
LinuxTester

On Jun 27, 12:13 pm, "John S." > wrote:
> Summertime with it's inevitable high gas prices brings out ever more
> miraculous ways to enhance gasoline MPG. I've also read about a
> gimmick multi-electrode sparkplug that supposedly improves power and
> milage at the same time. People are shelling out $9.00 per plug!!

and these folks want $24.95 per plug ...

for my Z28, that's only $200 for a set

Old July 3rd 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

aarcuda69062 wrote:

>>Its enough to make a rational person think the EPA is full of loonies.

> I'd heard that claim about the duster cans a number of times, the
> ones I've seen at Office Max and Office Depot were not R-134a.
> <shrug>

Dusters are a mixed bag- R-134a, R-152a, some even have CO2 blends IIRC,
but usually there's something that liquifies easily so that you can pack
more into a spray can. Isobutane is tempting, but flammable so I doubt
its ever used in dusters.

All the "freeze-it" type sprays I've seen lately, though, are R-134a.

Old July 4th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I have taken my little WebTV battery powered wireless Philips Magnavox
keyboard apart numerous times before to clean the crud out and doggy's
dog hairs out of there.I use an old Sears electric blower to blow the
crud out and I put a few drops of Armor All in a dish and I use a tooth
pick to lube the little tabs under my keyboard's keys before I stick
them back on there.It works great.
cuhulin
As seen on WebTV

Spark Plugs Richard Chrysler 7 October 30th 06 03:20 PM
spark plugs? zakman via CarKB.com VW water cooled 3 March 31st 06 08:16 AM
VR6 spark plugs Get Involved VW water cooled 0 March 16th 06 08:15 PM
Oil in spark plugs bigrob4201 Honda 7 June 26th 05 05:23 AM
156 2.5 V6 Spark plugs? [email protected] Alfa Romeo 0 May 1st 04 11:11 PM