Comment on car insurance

Old July 3rd 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,misc.consumers.frugal-living
sharx35

Default Comment on car insurance

"L Alpert" > wrote in message
> sharx35 wrote:
>> "L Alpert" > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> There are many old expressions quoted by those that have nothing of
>>> value to say.
>>>
>>> Entienda?

>> Read the parable about the ant and the grasshopper.

> It seems you only know one way. That's OK, though, blinders are a good
> fit for some people.
>
> AMF

I've been on this earth long enough to see where wastefuly, spendthrift ways
has gotten many people. A whole lot of people *look* well off...until
someone who is privy to their finances, such as myself, as a close look. As
often as not, a majority of people are 2 or 3 pay cheques away from a
financial crisis. I learnt that by observation AND by personal experience.

Old July 3rd 07, 05:24 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,misc.consumers.frugal-living
slim

On 2007-06-29 13:09:49 -0400, Useful Info > said:

> *My consumer experience*
>
> I've had insurance with Allegiance, Geico, Traveler's, and now Erie.
>
> Geico was expensive. I knew I was paying for their prime-time TV ads.
> I paid something like $1200 per year.
>
> Traveler's was cheaper. I assumed it was the cheapest in town.
> I paid $920 per year.
>
> Erie, I was stunned to learn, is extremely cheap for the same
> coverage.
> I pay $530 per year. Yes, per year.
>
> I cannot explain the discrepancy, other than to say that I've
> never seen a TV ad for Erie nor heard a radio ad. Also, my customer
> experience with my local rep has not been great. I call the corporate
> office whenever I have a question.
>
> Before Geico, I had Allegiance, which I recall was at the time
> quite cheap. I may have been near the Erie price. However their
> insurance became unavailable.

Get back to us after you had an accident with over $5000 in damage and
see if you think they are still great.

--

Slim

Old July 3rd 07, 05:26 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,misc.consumers.frugal-living
slim

On 2007-06-29 16:06:03 -0400, "catalpa" > said:

> "Useful Info" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> *My consumer experience*
>>
>> I've had insurance with Allegiance, Geico, Traveler's, and now Erie.
>>
>> Geico was expensive. I knew I was paying for their prime-time TV ads.
>> I paid something like $1200 per year.
>>
>> Traveler's was cheaper. I assumed it was the cheapest in town.
>> I paid $920 per year.
>>
>> Erie, I was stunned to learn, is extremely cheap for the same
>> coverage.
>> I pay $530 per year. Yes, per year.
>>
>> I cannot explain the discrepancy, other than to say that I've
>> never seen a TV ad for Erie nor heard a radio ad. Also, my customer
>> experience with my local rep has not been great. I call the corporate
>> office whenever I have a question.
>>
>> Before Geico, I had Allegiance, which I recall was at the time
>> quite cheap. I may have been near the Erie price. However their
>> insurance became unavailable.
>>

> Get a rate quote from Electric Insurance, my auto insurance is now
> under $400 a year. I previously had Allstate and then Progressive, but
> all they did was raise their rates each year.

Do they pay claims fast?

Do they have "specialty shops" that stand behind thier work?

Will they jack your rates after an accident thats not your fault?

--

Slim

Old July 3rd 07, 04:58 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Pete from Boston

On Jun 29, 1:09 pm, Useful Info > wrote:
> *My consumer experience*
>
> I've had insurance with Allegiance, Geico, Traveler's, and now Erie.
>
> Geico was expensive. I knew I was paying for their prime-time TV ads.
> I paid something like $1200 per year.
>
> Traveler's was cheaper. I assumed it was the cheapest in town.
> I paid $920 per year.
>
> Erie, I was stunned to learn, is extremely cheap for the same
> coverage.
> I pay $530 per year. Yes, per year.
>
> I cannot explain the discrepancy, other than to say that I've
> never seen a TV ad for Erie nor heard a radio ad. Also, my customer
> experience with my local rep has not been great. I call the corporate
> office whenever I have a question.
>
> Before Geico, I had Allegiance, which I recall was at the time
> quite cheap. I may have been near the Erie price. However their
> insurance became unavailable.

I don't have Geico, but I just recently filed a claim against someone
who did, and I can't see how a few bucks' savings a month (though
clearly not in your case) would make them worth it to me. Nice enough
people, but it seems like Geico is a call center in some fanciful
third dimension. They seemed kind of hard-pressed to handle a
complicated situation (and there are far more complicated accident
scenarios than mine). Never mind that I'm in Mass where they don't do
business. That fact alone had them stop just short of, "So you're
telling me they do, in fact, have automobiles in Massachusetts?"
Completely confused them. At one point they were asking me to come to
Hartford (100 miles away) to have my damage appraised.

Old July 3rd 07, 05:26 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mudmonkey

On Jul 3, 8:58 am, Pete from Boston > wrote:
> On Jun 29, 1:09 pm, Useful Info > wrote:
>

> > *My consumer experience*

> > I've had insurance with Allegiance, Geico, Traveler's, and now Erie.

> > Geico was expensive. I knew I was paying for their prime-time TV ads.
> > I paid something like $1200 per year.

> > Traveler's was cheaper. I assumed it was the cheapest in town.
> > I paid $920 per year.

> > Erie, I was stunned to learn, is extremely cheap for the same
> > coverage.
> > I pay $530 per year. Yes, per year.

> > I cannot explain the discrepancy, other than to say that I've
> > never seen a TV ad for Erie nor heard a radio ad. Also, my customer
> > experience with my local rep has not been great. I call the corporate
> > office whenever I have a question.

> > Before Geico, I had Allegiance, which I recall was at the time
> > quite cheap. I may have been near the Erie price. However their
> > insurance became unavailable.

> I don't have Geico, but I just recently filed a claim against someone
> who did, and I can't see how a few bucks' savings a month (though
> clearly not in your case) would make them worth it to me. Nice enough
> people, but it seems like Geico is a call center in some fanciful
> third dimension. They seemed kind of hard-pressed to handle a
> complicated situation (and there are far more complicated accident
> scenarios than mine). Never mind that I'm in Mass where they don't do
> business. That fact alone had them stop just short of, "So you're
> telling me they do, in fact, have automobiles in Massachusetts?"
> Completely confused them. At one point they were asking me to come to
> Hartford (100 miles away) to have my damage appraised.- Hide quoted text -

Ive had allstate for years now, since 18 and had nothing but good
dealings with them. rates go down overall until lately when we got
newer cars, an 04 olds, and my 90 toyota. before it was an 86 mazda,
84 chevy, and 95 mercury. we have pretty clean records, only 6 months
till my speeding ticket drops from the policy and no accedints for
nearly 9 years

Old July 4th 07, 02:00 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,misc.consumers.frugal-living
L Alpert[_1_]

sharx35 wrote:
> "L Alpert" > wrote in message
>> sharx35 wrote:
>>> "L Alpert" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> Read the parable about the ant and the grasshopper.

>> It seems you only know one way. That's OK, though, blinders are a
>> good fit for some people.
>>
>> AMF

> I've been on this earth long enough to see where wastefuly,
> spendthrift ways has gotten many people. A whole lot of people *look*
> well off...until someone who is privy to their finances, such as
> myself, as a close look. As often as not, a majority of people are 2
> or 3 pay cheques away from a financial crisis. I learnt that by
> observation AND by personal experience.

It all depends. I don't worry much about carrying an extra car, but my home
is mine free and clear and I could retire now if I didn't love what I do so
much, and I'm a long ways off from collecting any SS or from pulling from
IRA or 401k investments.

I've spent many years scrimping, and now I prefer (and can afford) not to.

Old July 8th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
newman

USAA only covers active duty or retired military, not all ex-service...
"Dick" > wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:09:49 -0700, Useful Info >
wrote:

>*My consumer experience*
>
>I've had insurance with Allegiance, Geico, Traveler's, and now Erie.
>
>Geico was expensive. I knew I was paying for their prime-time TV ads.
>I paid something like $1200 per year.
>
>Traveler's was cheaper. I assumed it was the cheapest in town.
>I paid $920 per year.
>
>Erie, I was stunned to learn, is extremely cheap for the same
>coverage.
>I pay $530 per year. Yes, per year.
>
>I cannot explain the discrepancy, other than to say that I've
>never seen a TV ad for Erie nor heard a radio ad. Also, my customer
>experience with my local rep has not been great. I call the corporate
>office whenever I have a question.
>
>Before Geico, I had Allegiance, which I recall was at the time
>quite cheap. I may have been near the Erie price. However their
>insurance became unavailable.

If you were in the military, or have a parent that was in the
military, you are eligible for United Services Auto Association (USAA)
insurance. There is no company in the U.S. that can compare with USAA
overall for cost and service. When U.S. insurance companies are
compared in several categories, USAA will usually be the best in at
least 2 out of 3 categories. Like other companies, they also cover
homes, personal items, etc.

Dick

Auto Insurance and Car Insurance Directory - Research Auto Insurance allworldautomotive.com Driving 0 February 6th 07 10:56 AM
BMW - Auto Insurance and Car Insurance Directory - Research BMW Auto Insurance [email protected] BMW 0 February 6th 07 10:48 AM
no comment Nate Nagel Driving 5 April 13th 05 11:35 PM
Just a comment Jeff Kleier VW air cooled 7 December 23rd 04 01:23 PM