72 super bug brake squeal

Old April 7th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zam

Default 72 super bug brake squeal

Did a complete drum brake job last year including new master
cylinder, wheel cylinders and brake shoes. Ran great all last Summer.
Ran only sporadically during our tough NJ Winter and now have bad
squealing in both front wheels when brakes applied. Pulled the front
left hub and all seems fine. Have about only 500 miles on the new
shoes, any ideas? Someone suggested putting grease on where the wheel
cylinder piston meets the shoe to stop the squeal. Anyone try that?
Help! My radio can only get so loud to drown out the squeal!!
Thanks in advance-
Pete
Old April 8th 10, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_5_]

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:35:54 +0200, zam > wrote:

> Did a complete drum brake job last year including new master
> cylinder, wheel cylinders and brake shoes. Ran great all last Summer.
> Ran only sporadically during our tough NJ Winter and now have bad
> squealing in both front wheels when brakes applied. Pulled the front
> left hub and all seems fine. Have about only 500 miles on the new
> shoes, any ideas? Someone suggested putting grease on where the wheel
> cylinder piston meets the shoe to stop the squeal. Anyone try that?
> Help! My radio can only get so loud to drown out the squeal!!
> Thanks in advance-
> Pete

Look at the brake shoes, where the actual brake lining ends on the shoes
they very likely end at an 90 deg angle to the shoe. File that
leading/trailing edge "round" or 45 deg angle if you want, and the squeal
will stop.
Oldest trick in the book, but not very well known these days with all disk
brakes. The same goes for motorcycles,scooters and (push)bikes

J..
Old April 8th 10, 12:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
zam

On Apr 7, 8:01*pm, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:35:54 +0200, zam > wrote:
> > Did a complete *drum brake job last year including new master
> > cylinder, wheel cylinders and brake shoes. Ran great all last Summer.
> > Ran only sporadically during our tough NJ Winter and now have bad
> > squealing in both front wheels when brakes applied. Pulled the front
> > left hub and all seems fine. Have about only 500 miles on the new
> > shoes, any ideas? Someone suggested putting grease on where the wheel
> > cylinder piston meets the shoe to stop the squeal. Anyone try that?
> > Help! My radio can only get so loud to drown out the squeal!!
> > Thanks in advance-
> > Pete

> Look at the brake shoes, where the actual brake lining ends on the shoes *
> they very likely end at an 90 deg angle to the shoe. File that *
> leading/trailing edge "round" or 45 deg angle if you want, and the squeal *
> will stop.
> Oldest trick in the book, but not very well known these days with all disk *
> brakes. The same goes for motorcycles,scooters and (push)bikes
>
> J..
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

J-
Thanks, sounds so simple, but makes sense. will try this w/e and
report back. Did not think the grease on the piston wold work anyhow!!
Do I have to fully repack the wheel bearings when I take off the hub
or just add some bearing grease around the spindle?
Thanks-
Pete
Old April 9th 10, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Hmmm good tip! I will try to remember that one! ;-)

I thought that it might have been just a squeak as the shoes rubbed against
the backing plate. I was going to suggest a very tiny bit of grease on the
backing plate (3 spots per shoe) but if it is a constant squeal then this
won't help. lol

--
later,
(One out of many daves)