Videocard Upgrade Question

Old November 17th 05, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Videocard Upgrade Question

With the latest racing sims (ie - GTL; GTR; etc) requiring ever more
powerful systems, I'm considering upgrading my videocard.

My system mobo/CPU could stand upgrading, I'm sure, but I don't expect
to do that for awhile yet. (Reinstalling everything is too much of a
PITA.....)

So, I'm considering an AGP videocard only (preferably ATI). Right now
my system specs are AthlonXP2600, 1 Gig RAM, Radeon 9700Pro, WinXP SP1.
That's already the fastest CPU that my mobo (Epox 8kha+) can take.
Does a vidcard exist that would provide a system improvement, but not be
held back by the CPU?

I'm looking at the X800 and X850 family of vidcards. In the ATI NG,
someone mentioned that these cards have performance issues with VIA
chipsets. Can anyone here confirm/refute that?

Thanks!
Old November 18th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I'd get a 6800GT, even used. BTW, update windows to SP2 asap

rms

Old November 18th 05, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:20:09 -0500, BRH wrote:
> With the latest racing sims (ie - GTL; GTR; etc) requiring ever more
> powerful systems, I'm considering upgrading my videocard.

I had similar feelings until I switched to the dx7 shader in rfactor,
fps are back where they belong now (from 40-50 to 90-110, testing at
Toban I can use much higher resolutions now, too (from 1024x768 to
1280 x 1024), so AA isn't really strictly necessary anymore.

Couldn't be happier, as a vidcard upgrade probably would have forced me
to upgrade the mobo, too (I'm still on a 9800 pro agp).

Also, I don't note all that much difference in rendering quality, but
then again, my eyes might be getting old

Cheers, uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61
Old November 18th 05, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I read and noticed that frames rates, on different tracks vary a lot. that
was my finding anyway

Uwe Schürkamp enlightened us with:

Old November 19th 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The most speed you can get is by a faster processor AND than by a faster
video card. Check, if a bios flash is possible and gives you the ability to
use a - let's say - Athlon 3700. It's not so expansive and is very fast and
can be overclocked.

Rolf

GTL: Videocard Question BRH Simulators 4 November 16th 05 05:43 PM
87 mustang GT front brake upgrade question John Hale Ford Mustang 5 March 22nd 05 06:32 PM
NASCAR 2003 XP SP2 Upgrade Question MWB Simulators 6 December 14th 04 03:16 AM
Heater Blower Upgrade Question Michael White Jeep 16 December 9th 04 01:41 PM