Shoulder passing

Old August 10th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

Default Shoulder passing

Why didn't the driver pass on the left? Was it another LLB preventing
proper driving? Passing on the shoulder isn't hard if you use it like
another lane. The problems are with road debris, other stopped
vehicles, and moving back into the traffic flow. This is why shoulder
use is for emergencies only, and only when the normal lanes aren't
available due to stopped or heavily-congested traffic. In all other
conditions, drivers must yield the passing lane to any faster traffic.
I yielded to an M5 today as it passed me at something around 200, and I
was passing a line of cars at 160. When I noticed the car approaching
with the left blinker on, I immediately accelerated and moved over.
After passing me, the M5 driver moved in front of me and maintained
speed. Why isn't this normal for all drivers?
Old August 10th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore[_1_]

Alexander Rogge wrote:

> Why didn't the driver pass on the left? Was it another LLB preventing
> proper driving? Passing on the shoulder isn't hard if you use it like
> another lane.

You're a dangerous cretin.

Graham

Old August 10th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:04:27 +0000, Alexander Rogge
> wrote:

>Why didn't the driver pass on the left? Was it another LLB preventing
>proper driving?

Ninety mph isn't proper driving if the road is crowded, and the
shoulder is the 'only place to go'.
>Passing on the shoulder isn't hard if you use it like
>another lane. The problems are with road debris, other stopped
>vehicles, and moving back into the traffic flow.

And excessive speed for the circumstances.
>This is why shoulder
>use is for emergencies only, and only when the normal lanes aren't
>available due to stopped or heavily-congested traffic. In all other
>conditions, drivers must yield the passing lane to any faster traffic.
>I yielded to an M5 today as it passed me at something around 200, and I
>was passing a line of cars at 160. When I noticed the car approaching
>with the left blinker on, I immediately accelerated and moved over.
>After passing me, the M5 driver moved in front of me and maintained
>speed. Why isn't this normal for all drivers?

Driving at 200 (kph) isn't normal at all.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old August 10th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:04:27 +0000, Alexander Rogge
> > wrote:
>
> >Why didn't the driver pass on the left? Was it another LLB preventing
> >proper driving?

> Ninety mph isn't proper driving if the road is crowded, and the
> shoulder is the 'only place to go'.
> >Passing on the shoulder isn't hard if you use it like
> >another lane. The problems are with road debris, other stopped
> >vehicles, and moving back into the traffic flow.

> And excessive speed for the circumstances.
> >This is why shoulder
> >use is for emergencies only, and only when the normal lanes aren't
> >available due to stopped or heavily-congested traffic. In all other
> >conditions, drivers must yield the passing lane to any faster traffic.
> >I yielded to an M5 today as it passed me at something around 200, and I
> >was passing a line of cars at 160. When I noticed the car approaching
> >with the left blinker on, I immediately accelerated and moved over.
> >After passing me, the M5 driver moved in front of me and maintained
> >speed. Why isn't this normal for all drivers?

> Driving at 200 (kph) isn't normal at all.
> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"

really? I seem to remember a cite that stated that the 85th percentile
speed on unlimited stretches of German Autobahn was close to 100 MPH
(and showing a rising trend over time therefore 200 km/h isn't so
ludicrous in that context. (200 km/h is about 125 MPH)

nate

Old August 11th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Alexander Rogge wrote:
> Why didn't the driver pass on the left? Was it another LLB preventing
> proper driving?

That was a dumb question. It makes no difference whatsoever. IF it
wasn't an LLBer, it would have been something else at some other time
and place. The dumb driver was in a hurry, impatient, and did
something illegal and stupid and dangerous. As often happens, she
killed an innocent person.

Maybe there was an LLB in the left lane--if there WAS a left lane.
That might be an excuse for being unhappy. It is not an excuse for
stupidity. It does not justify what she did. That 6-year old trusted
her to be more patient and mature. His trust was misplaced.

Old August 11th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On 10 Aug 2006 15:37:31 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:04:27 +0000, Alexander Rogge
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Why didn't the driver pass on the left? Was it another LLB preventing
>> >proper driving?

>> Ninety mph isn't proper driving if the road is crowded, and the
>> shoulder is the 'only place to go'.
>> >Passing on the shoulder isn't hard if you use it like
>> >another lane. The problems are with road debris, other stopped
>> >vehicles, and moving back into the traffic flow.

>> And excessive speed for the circumstances.
>> >This is why shoulder
>> >use is for emergencies only, and only when the normal lanes aren't
>> >available due to stopped or heavily-congested traffic. In all other
>> >conditions, drivers must yield the passing lane to any faster traffic.
>> >I yielded to an M5 today as it passed me at something around 200, and I
>> >was passing a line of cars at 160. When I noticed the car approaching
>> >with the left blinker on, I immediately accelerated and moved over.
>> >After passing me, the M5 driver moved in front of me and maintained
>> >speed. Why isn't this normal for all drivers?

>> Driving at 200 (kph) isn't normal at all.
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> replace "g" with "a"

>really? I seem to remember a cite that stated that the 85th percentile
>speed on unlimited stretches of German Autobahn was close to 100 MPH
>(and showing a rising trend over time therefore 200 km/h isn't so
>ludicrous in that context. (200 km/h is about 125 MPH)
>
>nate

Attempting to say that the Autobahn is "normal driving" is stretching.
I will admit that doing 200kph on the Autobahn might be "normal", but
driving 200kph isn't normal at all.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old August 11th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Bill Funk" > wrote

> Attempting to say that the Autobahn is "normal driving" is stretching.
> I will admit that doing 200kph on the Autobahn might be "normal", but
> driving 200kph isn't normal at all.

Only in *YOUR* experience.

FloydR

Old August 11th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Bill Funk

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:43:57 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
> wrote:

>"Bill Funk" > wrote
>
>> Attempting to say that the Autobahn is "normal driving" is stretching.
>> I will admit that doing 200kph on the Autobahn might be "normal", but
>> driving 200kph isn't normal at all.

>Only in *YOUR* experience.
>
>FloydR

Are you actually trying to say driving 200kph is normal?
I know it is in some places, but, without restricting it to a few
places, are you saying driving 200kph is normal?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old August 11th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Bill Funk" > wrote
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:43:57 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
>>"Bill Funk" > wrote
>>> Attempting to say that the Autobahn is "normal driving" is stretching.
>>> I will admit that doing 200kph on the Autobahn might be "normal", but
>>> driving 200kph isn't normal at all.

>>Only in *YOUR* experience.
>>

> Are you actually trying to say driving 200kph is normal?
> I know it is in some places, but, without restricting it to a few
> places, are you saying driving 200kph is normal?

It would certainly be abnormal for you. For me and the cars
I drive it's not USUAL, but it's certainly not abnormal.

FloydR

Old August 12th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Bill Funk wrote:

> Are you actually trying to say driving 200kph is normal?

I drove a 190kph while following and losing ground to an autobahn cop.
From all appearances 200kph was normal and ordinary to him. I caught up
with him again when we both had to slow for traffic.