Timing Belt on 2003 A6 3.0L V6

Old July 2nd 08, 05:55 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
eBob.com

Default Timing Belt on 2003 A6 3.0L V6

The book says 105,000 miles (155,000km)! But of course the book was
published before there were very many on the road. Does anyone have any
experience as to whether this recommendation can be trusted?

Thanks, Bob

Old July 2nd 08, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"eBob.com" > wrote in message
> The book says 105,000 miles (155,000km)! But of course the book was
> published before there were very many on the road. Does anyone have any
> experience as to whether this recommendation can be trusted?
>
> Thanks, Bob

How long is a piece of string,

are you talking 1st time ???? if so it sounds way to long.

when I was researching timing belt changes, some said 60K miles some said
80K.

dj
2.4 V6

so I had mine done at 60K and will probably have it redone at 100K to
110K....

Old July 3rd 08, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_10_]

"eBob.com" > wrote in message
> The book says 105,000 miles (155,000km)! But of course the book was
> published before there were very many on the road. Does anyone have
> any experience as to whether this recommendation can be trusted?

Given the history of premature timing belt failures in the Audi lineup
and very expensive repair costs if the belt (or the tensioner) does
break on you, most people recommend replacing it every 60k miles. Even
Audi decided to reduce that interval to 75k miles in later years, if I'm
not mistaken.

Pete

Old July 3rd 08, 09:17 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_25_]

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:34:05 -0500, "Pete" > wrote:

>"eBob.com" > wrote in message
>> The book says 105,000 miles (155,000km)! But of course the book was
>> published before there were very many on the road. Does anyone have
>> any experience as to whether this recommendation can be trusted?

>Given the history of premature timing belt failures in the Audi lineup
>and very expensive repair costs if the belt (or the tensioner) does
>break on you, most people recommend replacing it every 60k miles. Even
>Audi decided to reduce that interval to 75k miles in later years, if I'm
>not mistaken.

Is there a time-span for low mileage cars? My Audi's only done 50K
miles but is well past the age the belt would normally be replaced.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old July 3rd 08, 12:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave[_42_]

> Is there a time-span for low mileage cars? My Audi's only done 50K
> miles but is well past the age the belt would normally be replaced.

5 years

Old July 3rd 08, 12:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mark[_25_]

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:00:47 +0100, "Dave" > wrote:

>> Is there a time-span for low mileage cars? My Audi's only done 50K
>> miles but is well past the age the belt would normally be replaced.

>5 years

Mine's well beyond that! Is this an official figure or an educated
guess? (BTW: It's booked in for a belt change next week).

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old July 3rd 08, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

"Mark" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:00:47 +0100, "Dave" > wrote:
>
>>> Is there a time-span for low mileage cars? My Audi's only done 50K
>>> miles but is well past the age the belt would normally be replaced.

>>5 years

> Mine's well beyond that! Is this an official figure or an educated
> guess? (BTW: It's booked in for a belt change next week).

Make sure you get water pump, tensioner etc. replaced at the same time.

Old July 3rd 08, 04:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Jul 2, 12:55*pm, "eBob.com" > wrote:
> The book says 105,000 miles (155,000km)! *But of course the book was
> published before there were very many on the road. *Does anyone have any
> experience as to whether this recommendation can be trusted?
>
> Thanks, *Bob

I personally have always used 60k - 80k miles as the time to change
it. In 2004, the recommendation for both the 1.8T and the 3.0 was 75k
miles (as another poster noted). No time limit is noted, but 7 years
is probably the max that I would go. My car as 60k on it (or will by
the end of the week) and will be about 2 months shy of 5 years. I will
probably get mine changed in another 10k miles, along with the
tensioner, water pump and a couple other minor things. I have an
estimate from my local shop for just under $900.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA
Old July 3rd 08, 05:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"Mark" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:00:47 +0100, "Dave" > wrote:
>
>>> Is there a time-span for low mileage cars? My Audi's only done 50K
>>> miles but is well past the age the belt would normally be replaced.

>>5 years

> Mine's well beyond that! Is this an official figure or an educated
> guess? (BTW: It's booked in for a belt change next week).
>

> --
> (\__/) M.
> (")_(") their inaction to the problem. I am blocking most articles
> posted from there. If you wish your postings to be seen by
> everyone you will need use a different method of posting.
> See http://improve-usenet.org

my A4 V6 2.4 service book says,

40K miles for A3, 4 cylinder TD engine only
60K miles for 4 cylinder TD only Not A3
80k miles for 5 cylinder TD, V6 TD, 5 cylinder petrol, V6 petrol (30V) & V8

Old July 3rd 08, 08:46 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
ZapperX

Well time adds to aging, so the condition could have been 75k or the
aging period whichever is earlier.
Which means you better replace your belt.

--
ZapperX
ZapperX's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=4837

2003 300m special timing belt Lorenzo R. Chrysler 3 January 2nd 08 11:30 AM
2003 A4 Timing Belt Shagster Audi 6 July 4th 07 06:38 AM
How do I properly install timing belt, balancer belt on H22A Engine? Please Help [email protected] Honda 7 August 8th 06 07:07 AM
78 VW Rabbit Diesel TIming Belt/Injector Timing Question JH VW water cooled 13 August 5th 06 02:57 AM
how i replaced my porsche 968 water pump, timing belt and balance belt leeroy968 Technology 0 February 25th 06 05:15 AM