Its my Front End.....

Old April 8th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chip L[_2_]

Default Its my Front End.....

'99 GC 4.0L 4x4 156k

Low level grinding rotating noise (think inside a turbo prop or a boat
motor ) coming from front end or transfer case.

- Car is not stuck in 4 wheel drive (did the gravel road test)
- Noise begins around 40 mph and continues 70+
- Noise continues at speed w/ car in neutral
- Tire/wheel/front end/drive train related - increases / decreases w/
wheel speed
- Front wheel hubs / bearings replaced
- Changes slightly with wheels turned left or right, but not much.
- Hear nothing outside ie increased tire noise.

Thoughts appreciated

Chip L
Charlotte, NC
Old April 8th 10, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Square Wheels[_27_]

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:39:08 -0700, L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

> Its my Front End.....

And it's as ugly as your ass is.

--
This message brought to you by:

Cool Canadian Air®
Packed fresh every day in the Hudson Bay and shipped to your door.

Old April 8th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Cujo DeSockpuppet[_2_]

"L.W.\(Bill\) Hughes III" > wrote in
:

> Hi Chip,
> I would guess

and it'd be wrong as usual, Goat****er.

Overlord of alt.****nozzles. Winner of the 8/2000, 2/2003 & 4/2007 HL&S
"Then I will send complaints, update pages, and file lawsuits until the
abuse ceases or until you start getting balls and posting under your
real identity, which ever miracle comes first--very simple people--take
your
pick." - Ed Wollmann upbraids his own sockpuppets.
Old April 10th 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Chip L wrote:
> '99 GC 4.0L 4x4 156k
>
> Low level grinding rotating noise (think inside a turbo prop or a boat
> motor ) coming from front end or transfer case.
>
> - Car is not stuck in 4 wheel drive (did the gravel road test)
> - Noise begins around 40 mph and continues 70+
> - Noise continues at speed w/ car in neutral
> - Tire/wheel/front end/drive train related - increases / decreases w/
> wheel speed
> - Front wheel hubs / bearings replaced
> - Changes slightly with wheels turned left or right, but not much.
> - Hear nothing outside ie increased tire noise.
>
> Thoughts appreciated
>
> Chip L
> Charlotte, NC

Ye olde vibration chart says....

40-70, Non-torque, speed sensitive
Tire and Wheel Runout (TWR), basically balance or a shot tire
(try swapping front to rear)

Axle Noise (AN) check for worn/damaged U joints or bent shaft
Can also indicate they need lube.

Worn or sinking engine mounts can cause things to touch.
Check to see if your engine and tranmsission mounts are still
in good shape.

Good example of shot mounts.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/motormount/

--