Stainless steel muffler- maybe not

Old October 14th 04, 11:19 PM

On 14 Oct 2004 12:16:52 GMT, (Mikeygmoed) wrote:

>.

Actually there iare magnetic and non-magnetic stainless steels.
Autentistic and martentistic, or something like that.
Old October 15th 04, 02:36 AM
Matt Whiting

Mikeygmoed wrote:
> Stainless steel is non-metallic.....Place a magnet against it and if it sticks
> IS NOT stainless steel....

Just when you think you've heard the dumbest usenet comment...

Matt

Old October 15th 04, 02:36 AM
Matt Whiting

Old October 15th 04, 02:06 PM
Threeducks

Rajsircar wrote:
> How do you think Midas and other companies that give life time guarantee on
> their mufflers make money? It is the pipes that rot out and you will have to
> pay for that to be replaced. I had a shop bend steel exhaust pipes for my car
> and it lasted 12 years. The clamps always rot out, so you will have to keep an
> eye for them and replace once every 3 to 4 years.

The mufflers are crap, too. I had one of those "lifetime" mufflers.
Every year it would rot out. Sure they would replace it for free, but
it was a hassle to bring the car in and you had to deal with the place
trying to screw you for a few dollars here and there for all the things
that weren't covered.
Old October 15th 04, 02:06 PM
Threeducks

Old October 15th 04, 06:40 PM
Steve L.

Not believing you guys, I spent hours on the web looking for a
replacement muffler, all stainless, including pipes.....I found
nothing.

I can't believe you can't buy and OEM all stainless muffler
replacement for a 93 grand caravan. I find this totally amazing that
there is not one company that makes these. Sure you can find
performance ones that are univeral. But they need extra length pipes
etc. they are not direct replacements and they are supposed to sound
like crap.

The only one that says they have is Walker and I'm told that this is
what the Chrysler dealer and Midas etc sell.

I wish I had kept my original OEM muffler and just welded a new pipe
onto it...had I known.

Steve L

Old October 15th 04, 08:42 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Steve L. wrote:

> Not believing you guys, I spent hours on the web looking for a
> replacement muffler, all stainless, including pipes.....I found nothing.
>
> I can't believe you can't buy and OEM all stainless muffler
> replacement for a 93 grand caravan.

Well if you don't believe us, and you don't believe your own eyes...whom
do you believe? I don't think there's anything in the Bible about it, so
we're outta luck on that avenue... The fact of the matter is that the
aftermarket will not generally support (i.e., pay for) what an OEM-type
stainless muffler would cost. They tend to remain available from dealer
parts departments for a short time after OEM use is discontinued, for
warranty work and such, but then the dealer parts counters are switched
over to the aftermarket type mufflers.

> The only one that says they have is Walker and I'm told that this is
> what the Chrysler dealer and Midas etc sell. I wish I had kept my
> original OEM muffler and just welded a new pipe onto it...had I known.

Why? Just buy a premium muffler from Walker or Goerlich and you'll be all
set for at least five years, depending on how you use your car. The other
option is to get busy with the books, find a late-model application (later
Chrysler minivans...?) that use a muffler similar in size, shape and
configuration to your own, and go buy *that* from the dealer. Prepare to
pay $$$.

Steel Stock Wheels Alan Dodge 0 December 5th 04 07:10 PM
2001-current BMW M3 Muffler For Sale Bryan Franz BMW 0 November 14th 04 10:12 PM
1994 ford ranger no muffler, OK? BuNisGoD.com 4x4 0 July 1st 04 08:33 AM
What grade of shhet steel? Paul Farber 4x4 2 April 23rd 04 10:06 PM