3 Secret Tips Before You Buy A Used Car

Old January 4th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
OurCarGuy

Default 3 Secret Tips Before You Buy A Used Car

3 Secret Tips Before You Buy A Used Car

I have always purchased my cars used. And every single time, I got a
great deal because of a few secrets that is easy to do.

These secrets will save you money. And the good news is there is no
luck involved.

If you follow these steps you are guaranteed to save lots of money, so
please pay attention.

BUYING A USED CAR Power Tip #1 - Check Consumer Reports on the safest
cars out there. Looks are one thing, but never ignore safety. Here's
what you do...

BUYING A USED CAR Power Tip #2

Remember, private sellers generally are not covered by the Used Car
Rule and don't have to use the Buyers Guide. However, you can use the
Guide's list of an auto's major systems as a shopping tool...

BUYING A USED CAR Power Tip #3

Examine the car carefully yourself using an inspection checklist. You
can find a checklist in many of the magazine articles, books and...

Read more at
http://ourcartips.com/car/3_secret_t..._used_car.html

Old January 4th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

OurCarGuy wrote:
> 3 Secret Tips Before You Buy A Used Car
>
> I have always purchased my cars used. And every single time, I got a
> great deal because of a few secrets that is easy to do.

It is a great way to take advantage of the large price depreciation in
early years and probably makes the most sense if you trade cars
regularly.

> These secrets will save you money. And the good news is there is no
> luck involved.

Luck usually isn't involved in saving money.

> If you follow these steps you are guaranteed to save lots of money, so
> please pay attention.
>
> BUYING A USED CAR Power Tip #1 - Check Consumer Reports on the safest
> cars out there. Looks are one thing, but never ignore safety. Here's
> what you do...

Hopefully these are not in order of priority. Checking Consumer
Reports would be number four. I would probably look at Edmunds.com.

> BUYING A USED CAR Power Tip #2
>
> Remember, private sellers generally are not covered by the Used Car
> Rule and don't have to use the Buyers Guide. However, you can use the
> Guide's list of an auto's major systems as a shopping tool...

Who's User Car Rule are you talking about and what does it say. Why
would a seller use a buyers guide? I'm lost here....

> BUYING A USED CAR Power Tip #3
>
> Examine the car carefully yourself using an inspection checklist. You
> can find a checklist in many of the magazine articles, books and...

A reasonable idea as a first cut for eliminating obvious dogs. A very
poor idea as the only checkover unless the individual has the tools and
experience to do a thorough analysis. A much better idea would be to
pay for an experienced knowlegable mechanic to do a thorough
pre-purchase inspection.

Old January 5th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

John S. wrote:
> OurCarGuy wrote:
> > BUYING A USED CAR Power Tip #2
> >
> > Remember, private sellers generally are not covered by the Used Car
> > Rule and don't have to use the Buyers Guide. However, you can use the
> > Guide's list of an auto's major systems as a shopping tool...

> Who's User Car Rule are you talking about and what does it say. Why
> would a seller use a buyers guide? I'm lost here....

The piece of paper that each car in a dealer's lot is supposed to have
posted in its window is called the "buyer's guide". Usually the only
thing filled out is a check in the "As Is" box.

This link to the FTC explains both the buyer's guide and the used car
rule:
http://tinyurl.com/y7lkob

Matthew